Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-22-2018, 11:31 AM   #51
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
In other cycling news I won the State Championship jersey in my category (Open SS) and am super stoked about that!!
It was a goal I set for the year and have been working hard at all season (8-race points series).
What the heck is your name brother!!

And a huge congrats on the SS title!! Jason Wipf has been killing it on a SS this year in C3 40-49..He came in 2nd in the XC series.

I have only been riding for a year and half, started taking things a little more serious 2 months ago. TMBRA Cat 3 40-49 managed a 6th Place finish in the State Championship, next year I will be on the top of the box.

Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 05-22-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Tuffbroadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #52
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
What the heck is your name brother!!

And a huge congrats on the SS title!! Jason Wipf has been killing it on a SS this year in C3 40-49..He came in 2nd in the XC series.

I have only been riding for a year and half, started taking things a little more serious 2 months ago. TMBRA Cat 3 40-49 managed a 6th Place finish in the State Championship, next year I will be on the top of the box.
Top line
Thanks!

Winning State is a great goal... best of luck to you.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 01:02 PM   #53
FamousAmos
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mason and Menard

I ride a Giant TCR road bike and, every now and again, a Giant Yukon mountain bike. I just joined the Strava group. Scott Sharman is my name.

This year I will ride two MS 150's, Hotter N' Hell, and a handful of regional rides. The Burleson Honeytour is this weekend.

Last edited by FamousAmos; 05-23-2018 at 01:19 PM.
FamousAmos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 02:14 PM   #54
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

I need to find the strava group, just re-downloaded it
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2018, 11:43 AM   #55
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

What Lights are peeps running?

I have a RAKClighting.com 3000 lumen Theia mounted on my helmet and so far it is NICE! Think the two coolest features are changeable lense and the Handlebar mount remote to vary the power outputs or turn it off and on.

https://www.rakclighting.com/collect...bike-light-kit
Old 05-30-2018, 03:15 AM   #56
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, etc.

Quote:
What Lights are peeps running?

I have a RAKClighting.com 3000 lumen Theia mounted on my helmet and so far it is NICE! Think the two coolest features are changeable lense and the Handlebar mount remote to vary the power outputs or turn it off and on.

https://www.rakclighting.com/collect...bike-light-kit
$164, I am building a bike. I am going to have to put that off for a bit.
Speedgoat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 07:25 PM   #57
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedgoat View Post
$164, I am building a bike. I am going to have to put that off for a bit.

Cant wait till ya get home and get it all put together, we will have to go to Pace bend and tear it up bro!!
Old 06-01-2018, 02:32 AM   #58
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Quote:
Cant wait till ya get home and get it all put together, we will have to go to Pace bend and tear it up bro!!
Heck yes we will!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2018, 09:27 AM   #59
TexasBob
Pope & Young

In, but way behind most of you. Picked up a Giant Yukon from Sierracharlie338 that was offered on my thread. Have to say riding a properly sized, quality bike is a whole other animal. First time I have been on anything but a cheap Academy special. Helmet recommendations? The less it looks like a mushroom head road bike helmet the better. Goal is to get in shape and be able to ride trails and parks around Austin etc with trips to the Colorado and New Mexico thrown in for more aggressive stuff. Thinking of spending the coin on a good helmet and be set up. Open to thoughts. Admit I don't like wearing one, but don't really want to fall and smack my head on a rock either.
TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2018, 09:53 PM   #60
j944
Four Point

Hunt In: Honey Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
In, but way behind most of you. Picked up a Giant Yukon from Sierracharlie338 that was offered on my thread. Have to say riding a properly sized, quality bike is a whole other animal. First time I have been on anything but a cheap Academy special. Helmet recommendations? The less it looks like a mushroom head road bike helmet the better. Goal is to get in shape and be able to ride trails and parks around Austin etc with trips to the Colorado and New Mexico thrown in for more aggressive stuff. Thinking of spending the coin on a good helmet and be set up. Open to thoughts. Admit I don't like wearing one, but don't really want to fall and smack my head on a rock either.
I have a couple of Louis Garneau Quartz helmets that I use for both road and MTB. Fit to me is just as good if not better than Gyro. I would think like a handgun it's about how it feels.

Good luck.
j944 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2018, 10:02 PM   #61
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Look for a helmet that has a MIPS system in it...Giro and other quality brands have integrated it into their manufacturing process.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #62
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Thanks for the helmet stuff guys. I did a leisurely 5 miles yesterday, mostly on paved road with a few decent (ok small) hills in there. Nothing for most of you, but a decent feat for a guy that hasn't peddled a bike for any amount of time since I was a kid. Still had more left in me but didn't want to be sore today.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #63
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Cool Canyon pic..
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2018, 05:30 PM   #64
Buckley99
Ten Point

Quote:
Cool Canyon pic..
Great pic!
Buckley99 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2018, 05:49 PM   #65
blackfoot1
Nubbin' Buck

Did 42 miles this morning but the wind got worse so I quit. Doing CDA 70.3 IM in two weeks and Wisconsin IM in September... Will be IM #19 and #20.. I’m that guy that finishes bottom 1/3 of the races though, it’s because I absolutely hate running...Ride 4-5 days a week depending on weather.
blackfoot1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2018, 08:52 PM   #66
hooligan
Pope & Young

Does anyone have an indoor trainer they recommend? I hate the heat and with a newborn my schedule isn’t the easiest to just ride early before it gets bad. I’ve been looking at the Kinetic road machine 2.0
Old 06-09-2018, 09:10 PM   #67
SaintBlaise
Four Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Does anyone have an indoor trainer they recommend? I hate the heat and with a newborn my schedule isnít the easiest to just ride early before it gets bad. Iíve been looking at the Kinetic road machine 2.0
My wife has this one and loves it.

https://www.amazon.com/LeMond-Revolu...mg_top?ie=UTF8
SaintBlaise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2018, 09:43 PM   #68
bowhuntermac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado

I won’t be cycling this year since I was in a bad car wreck and broke my wrist, tore some tendons, and busted some ribs so won’t be getting on stage. Figured it would be a good chance for my endocrine system to recover and then hit it hard all fall and winter since I’m already qualified to compete at nationals next summer. ��
bowhuntermac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2018, 09:47 PM   #69
hooligan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlaise View Post
well balls, it says unavailable
Old 06-10-2018, 10:03 AM   #70
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Quote:
Does anyone have an indoor trainer they recommend? I hate the heat and with a newborn my schedule isn’t the easiest to just ride early before it gets bad. I’ve been looking at the Kinetic road machine 2.0
The Kinetic is a fairly basic fluid trainer, and you can pick them up on Pedal bikes and junk on facebook all the time for cheap as well as Dallas craigslist.

IF you are really wanting to take you indoor training to the next level I would suggest a indoor "smart" trainer. I have a few riding buddies that have the Elite Direto and they have nothing but great reviews, even have a Pro female MTB champion that is a good friend that loves hers as well. They interact via Bluetooth with your computer or phone and have FTP testing, interactive workouts via Trainer Road, sufferfest, Etc. Not cheap but well worth it . ITs on my want list for sure.

Here is a review on it from DC rainmaker..

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/07/...rhands-on.html

Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 06-10-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:08 AM   #71
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntermac View Post
I wonít be cycling this year since I was in a bad car wreck and broke my wrist, tore some tendons, and busted some ribs so wonít be getting on stage. Figured it would be a good chance for my endocrine system to recover and then hit it hard all fall and winter since Iím already qualified to compete at nationals next summer. ��
Dang Mac!!!!!!!

I hate to hear that brother, I'm setting here with a really bad MCL Sprain in my left leg, Doc told me 6 weeks off the bike and zero running. I walked for 2 miles doing MTB trail work yesterday and can barely stand this morning..1 week down, 5 more to go
Old 06-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #72
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

A few more pics just arrived from the 24 Hours in the Canyon.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2018, 12:38 PM   #73
bowfishin fool
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper Tx, Cuero TX

I just signed up for the Cactus and Crude MS150 from Midland to Lubbock on July 21-22nd...

I don't even own a Bike yet! Would someone want to lend me one for a couple months??! or possibly have one cheap that will roll me 150 miles? I don't have much budget for this ride, maybe $200.

I know I wont have long to train, so maybe y'all can give some tips on the best way to get up to speed??? Just go ride long and hard? Do I need to focus on pace from the beginning of my first ride or breathing?? Im trying to make the most of the month I have to prepare!
bowfishin fool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #74
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowfishin fool View Post
I just signed up for the Cactus and Crude MS150 from Midland to Lubbock on July 21-22nd...

I don't even own a Bike yet! Would someone want to lend me one for a couple months??! or possibly have one cheap that will roll me 150 miles? I don't have much budget for this ride, maybe $200.

I know I wont have long to train, so maybe y'all can give some tips on the best way to get up to speed??? Just go ride long and hard? Do I need to focus on pace from the beginning of my first ride or breathing?? Im trying to make the most of the month I have to prepare!

Thank you for signing up for a great charity ride!!!

For your first ride that's a lot to bite off

How tall are you, we might have a used old used trek down at the local shop.

Rides like that are just grit and tempo, stay at a comfortable pace
Old 06-12-2018, 11:33 PM   #75
bowfishin fool
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper Tx, Cuero TX

Quote:
Thank you for signing up for a great charity ride!!!

For your first ride that's a lot to bite off

How tall are you, we might have a used old used trek down at the local shop.

Rides like that are just grit and tempo, stay at a comfortable pace

Iím super excited, and my wife has gotten on board and will be training and riding with me! This may be a start to a whole new chapter for us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bowfishin fool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 08:30 AM   #76
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowfishin fool View Post
Iím super excited, and my wife has gotten on board and will be training and riding with me! This may be a start to a whole new chapter for us

That is great!!!! I wished my wife would get into cycling, she is a "reader" lol
Old 06-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #77
TexasBob
Pope & Young

For anyone with kiddos the weehoo I go trailers are pretty cool. Bought one at the rei garage sale. Daughter is 19 months but sheís a fan. She likes being able to look around. We thought she was kind of scared and were contemplating putting the two wheel buggy back on when she tried to climb in on her own and kept saying ride. She didnít mind the helmet either Only issue was clearance on the back tire. Wife rides a base model diamondback 27.5. PVC coupler under the hitch solved the problem though.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:06 AM   #78
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

My frame is finished with paint!! Shipping today. 17.5", 27.5" boost carbon fiber frame with BSA bottom bracket. Building it with full shimano Deore XT group, rockshox, and race face. I'm stoked!!!

Old 06-20-2018, 07:27 AM   #79
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Looks awesome. Is it cheaper to build one up, or do you just get everything you want?

Old 06-20-2018, 09:20 AM   #80
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Very cool!!
Old 06-20-2018, 11:26 AM   #81
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Quote:
Looks awesome. Is it cheaper to build one up, or do you just get everything you want?

Everything, when done, will be about $1900. It would cost $3500 - $5000 to buy this bike.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #82
TexasBob
Pope & Young

What are you guys using for transport racks? I like the Thule stuff but dang it's spendy. I have a truck but like to use the bed for gear under the backflip cover. Might have to just hold out for a deal on craigslist, but making sure I wasn't missing a cheaper option.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:57 AM   #83
hooligan
Pope & Young

Quote:
What are you guys using for transport racks? I like the Thule stuff but dang it's spendy. I have a truck but like to use the bed for gear under the backflip cover. Might have to just hold out for a deal on craigslist, but making sure I wasn't missing a cheaper option.
I use Yakima racks. My buddy has one he got off amazon (I think Hollywood?) and heís used it for about 4 years with zero issues.

Theyíre expensive but can be found used in good shape. Itís worth a quality rack, you donít want a failure on the rack when your transporting your bike
Old 06-27-2018, 12:14 PM   #84
KRB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens

Tuffbroadhead I sent you a PM
KRB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2018, 12:44 PM   #85
hooligan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedgoat View Post
Everything, when done, will be about $1900. It would cost $3500 - $5000 to buy this bike.
are you having someone build it or are you doing it all? Can you pm me some of the info on who did your frame.

My last tri bike I built up and regret selling it. After you've done a custom its hard to make compromises on off the rack!
Old 06-27-2018, 01:00 PM   #86
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

I am building it. I worked in a bike shop while in college and raced for a few years, so the basics I have down. I'll be honest though, technology has gotten crazy and I had to do a ton of research before I began buying parts. I've been away for too long. Hubs, wheels, gears, headtube angles, chainstays lengths, etc. Have really changed alot in the last 15 years.
Quote:
are you having someone build it or are you doing it all? Can you pm me some of the info on who did your frame.

My last tri bike I built up and regret selling it. After you've done a custom its hard to make compromises on off the rack!
Old 06-27-2018, 08:24 PM   #87
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRB View Post
Tuffbroadhead I sent you a PM

Got it bro and shot ya one.

On another note I was looking at a bike rack upgrade... Did my home work and wanted a nice one that did not have any plastic parts that would wear out.

Im all set to order a new 1up Usa double....NICE!!!

And can the 2019's Rockys any sooner!!!!
Old 06-28-2018, 05:14 PM   #88
TexasBob
Pope & Young

The 1up stuff looks like the best for sure. Iíll probably get something lesser used for now. Did what you gave break? Wondering what to stay away from.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:27 PM   #89
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma / San Saba Co.

Quote:
Back seat (folded up) of my f150 super crew. Got a cheap Amazon receiver hitch carrier for the wife's Exploder. It's only $100 but mechanically solid. I trust it. Allen Sports I think.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2018, 10:30 PM   #90
j944
Four Point

Love 1up and Kuat racks. Hate the price tag associated with them though. I settled for a Saris Freedom and liking so far.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:43 AM   #91
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Picked these up thinking they would work for the mtb. Didnít realize there wasnít a platform on each side and canít return. Brand new. $35 TYD

Old 06-29-2018, 10:19 AM   #92
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Quote:
The 1up stuff looks like the best for sure. Iíll probably get something lesser used for now. Did what you gave break? Wondering what to stay away from.

I just have a cheap 3 bike hanging rack, its just plain worn out and the straps are old and dry rotting..

On the pedals what are you wanting platforms or clipless?
Old 06-29-2018, 12:13 PM   #93
TexasBob
Pope & Young

I'm a gear nut and sucker for a sale- bad combo. I had been looking at the clipless pedals that still had a bit of a platform and thought that's what these were. It would basically be the side you see with a clip. Be a while before I want to try them anyway so thought someone may want them. I'll toss them in the cabinet if not.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:20 PM   #94
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

The Trek 2019 lineup is going to be available on September 10th. My son is going to get a new ride for his birthday. The Trek Roscoe is a sweet bike. I just found out that they are offering it in a 24" kids model now. I am going to pre-order the Silver/Blue this week. For an 8 year olds introduction to Mountain biking it will be awesome. Total weight is 25 pounds. It is a 1x8 setup with disc brakes and 2.8 tires!! Doesn't need a suspension fork with that much cushion.

Name:  Roscoe24_22705_A_Alt1.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  33.0 KB

Name:  Roscoe24_22705_A_Alt2.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  67.1 KB

Name:  Roscoe24_22705_A_Alt3.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  31.2 KB

Name:  Roscoe24_22705_A_Alt4.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  44.7 KB

Name:  Roscoe24_22705_A_Alt5.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  46.3 KB

Name:  Roscoe24_22705_A_Alt6.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  28.1 KB

Name:  Roscoe24_22705_A_Hero.jpg
Size:  54.7 KB

Name:  Roscoe24_22705_A_Portrait.jpg
Size:  53.9 KB

Name:  Roscoe24_22705_A_Primary.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  48.0 KB
Old 06-30-2018, 02:03 PM   #95
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Bike is ordered. Should be in around September 20 or so. His Birthday is October 15th. Perfect timing since I have to miss it again.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:23 AM   #96
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Wife just sent me some pics. I am stoked, although she is playing teaser and won't send me anymore. I'll fix that when I get home!!!!

Name:  My Frame.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  46.7 KB

Name:  My Frame 2.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  64.0 KB
Old 07-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #97
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Awesome! Can't wait to see more pics. I would love a full build along with part choices included. I don't know how to fully build a bike at the moment but doing it appeals to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2018, 12:43 PM   #98
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Quote:
Awesome! Can't wait to see more pics. I would love a full build along with part choices included. I don't know how to fully build a bike at the moment but doing it appeals to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I will do a build thread when I get home. I have my wife's bike to build as well. Can't wait!!
Old 07-01-2018, 01:37 PM   #99
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Didnít realize us dirt guys were welcome here

Iíll play. I mostly do dirt trails around Houston but have a buddy that is hardcore into it and is trying to get me to travel some. Hereís my new sled I just picked up this year.

Iíve added some modifications to it already this is just the stock picture. Looking to do more riding this year.

Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2018, 10:20 PM   #100
j944
Four Point

I prefer dirt.
Name:  garage.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  61.0 KB