Help Picking an Elk Arrow ASAP!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Picking an Elk Arrow ASAP!!!!

Ok guys, I need some help deciding on an arrow and I’m running short on time. I’m headed to NM for my elk hunt September 1st so timing has become critical. I have it narrowed down to the following set ups. Bow is a Hoyt Carbon Defiant, 29” draw, and pulling 71lbs. I will most likely end up shooting Magnus Stingers.

Carnivore 250 Spine shooting 262 FPS, 520 grains, and approximately 15% FOC. This is with a 100 grain tip.

Spartan 300 Spine shooting 278 FPS, approximately 450 grains and 10% FOC. This is with a 125 grain tip.

At 20 yards my groups are about 3/4” smaller with the Spartan, but I really wanted a heavier arrow and more FOC. I understand that there is 30 and 75 grain weight that can be added to the Spartan, but I’m not sure how much that will change my accuracy of that set up. I have a 175 grain field point I could test with, but haven’t done that yet. I’m figuring if I go with a 30 grain weight I will lose about 10FPS.

Like I said, I need to make a decision quickly so i can get my arrows built and get dialed in. Also note that I have not tuned to bow to either arrow, but will have that done when I make a decision.

Please help!

move back to 60-70 yards and see which flies better and which one youre more comfortable with shooting. doesnt matter the arrow, a sharp broadhead put in the right place will do the trick.

Comment

with the stinger head being such a great penetrator the extra weight might not even be needed,,, like was already stated back up a good distance and shoot them both with the stinger see which one flies the best

Comment

I like the looks of the 520 gr. Are both arrows the same od. If not then that could be your grouping problem. I don’t know the od with out looking. But if the od of the Spartan is smaller then the 250 spine is pointing up. Even just a few thousands can make enough to change grouping.

Comment

Ok I looked up the carnivores and the Spartans. There is an over all difference of .021 on od. So unless you are retuning for the shafts. The. Yes you will see a grouping difference between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
            Ok I looked up the carnivores and the Spartans. There is an over all difference of .021 on od. So unless you are retuning for the shafts. The. Yes you will see a grouping difference between the two.
            Yeah I am sure this is part of the problem. I am considering taking the Carnivore and having my bow tuned to it and see what happens.

Comment

PM Muddyfuzzy he'll hook you up

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                PM Muddyfuzzy he'll hook you up
                He has already been helping. Great guy!

I stretched out to 40 yards today and the groups weren’t as drastically different between the two. I’m gonna shoot some more and try to get to 50 and see what happens. Might try to get some adjustments made to my bow to account for the larger diameter arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
                  He has already been helping. Great guy!

I stretched out to 40 yards today and the groups weren’t as drastically different between the two. I’m gonna shoot some more and try to get to 50 and see what happens. Might try to get some adjustments made to my bow to account for the larger diameter arrow.
                  [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Comment

I shoot the Spartans 300/.001 with a 30gr brass insert. Flies great and has great penetration. Hoyt CS34 68# 29"

Comment

Working...
                    X