Airline Checked Bag Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airline Checked Bag Question

My wife and I are going to the big island of Hawaii in a few weeks. We are flying direct to Honolulu on United then connecting to Kona on Hawaiian Airlines. We purchased the United and Hawaiian tickets separately.

We will check our bags in Houston with United.

My question is when we land in Honolulu do we have to get our bags at baggage claim and recheck them with Hawaiian for the connecting flight?

Or can we tell them in Houston our final destination is Kona? Wasn’t sure how it worked with separate airlines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get bags. Re-check.

Comment

Originally posted by willwork04 View Post
      Get bags. Re-check.
      Yup. If you need any recommendations let me know. It’s one of my favorite vacation locations.

Comment

Gotta recheck bags since it's two separate record locators. Had you booked one trip on a partner airline I believe it would be different.

Comment

Yup sounds like a recheck situation.

Comment

If the two airlines are in some form of an alliance you dont have to recheck- even if the flights are separate. Just call and ask they'll tell you if they're partnered business-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
              Yup. If you need any recommendations let me know. It’s one of my favorite vacation locations.

We are in for recommendations for sure! Never been there.

Comment

Originally posted by billythefish View Post
                If the two airlines are in some form of an alliance you dont have to recheck- even if the flights are separate. Just call and ask they'll tell you if they're partnered business-wise.

I will call and find out.

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

when you check the bags, they will tell you if you have to pick up or they are checked to final destination. I'm pretty sure since Alaska is US, that you do not have to go thru immigration. I am betting if you do not have to clear customs, they will check to final destination.

Comment

Originally posted by RJK70 View Post
                    We are in for recommendations for sure! Never been there.

I haven't been since the volcano went nuts, but while I was there last time (it was my Mom's 60th) we went to Volcanos National Park and then did a guided hike to the Lava flows. One of the coolest (hot?!) experiences I've had - not sure this is even possible anymore?

Make sure to drive up to the Mauna Kea Observatory. Its awesome at sunset.

Kona Brewing co is a great place for food/drinks.

Comment

Working...
                    X