The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Elk Thread

Monsoon season sure makes for some decent views on the trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I sure hope y'all get a ton of rain, know you guys need it.

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
      Monsoon season sure makes for some decent views on the trails.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
        I've been working out 5 days a week. But this bad case of persistent plantar fasciitis is killing my foot. I wanted to be rucking and hill-climbing but I can hardly walk most of the time. Milligan Brand elk hunt in 8 weeks. Yuk.
        Most of Milligan's properties are easy to get around on. Don't sweat it too much Bobby. I can only think of one ranch that has some steep stuff but the truck will get you to the elk. My buddies are going the 3rd week this year. I decided to pass this year to put in for Gila.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
          I sure hope y'all get a ton of rain, know you guys need it.

Thanks. We sure need it.

Comment

I've been working out 5 days a week. But this bad case of persistent plantar fasciitis is killing my foot. I wanted to be rucking and hill-climbing but I can hardly walk most of the time. Milligan Brand elk hunt in 8 weeks. Yuk.
            I'm not sure you have to work out at all.

I hunted with Milligan Brand back in 2011. We got up and drove a pickup out to the property and watched as the sun came up. If we didn't see anything we went back to the house and sat there all day eating and watching TV until a couple hours before dark. We went back out in the evening and sat until dark then headed back to the house.

Comment

Not sure what you have tried for the foot pain, but I found instant and permanent relief with a pair of $10 plantar fasciitis insoles from Academy. And I walk miles a week, plus up and down ladders, working at Home Depot.

Comment

Finally finished out my gear list so I'm fully outfitted for the trip. Took me forever to decide on what rainwear. I needed something tough as all the miles on horseback is hard on the pants. Decided on the Slumber jack Windage series which is a 3 layer product like the Kryptek Koldo line. The Ramcat broadheads are tuned up and flying like darts....less than 8 weeks till I fly out!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Comment

My usual compound hunting arrows weigh 400 grains with a 100 grain broadhead (CarbonTech Cheetahs). I was thinking I need heavier arrows, so I pulled out a half dozen of my CT Rhinos, with 145 grain tips they weigh 525. I have some 145 grain Muzzy 4-blade, and Magnus had 150 grain broadheads.

I shooting them at the range getting a feel where my single pin would need to be set, when a guy and I got to talking. He showed me a beautiful 6x6 he shot- with a 400 grain arrow!

I’m shooting both weights now, I don’t need to decide for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                    My usual compound hunting arrows weigh 400 grains with a 100 grain broadhead (CarbonTech Cheetahs). I was thinking I need heavier arrows, so I pulled out a half dozen of my CT Rhinos, with 145 grain tips they weigh 525. I have some 145 grain Muzzy 4-blade, and Magnus had 150 grain broadheads.

I shooting them at the range getting a feel where my single pin would need to be set, when a guy and I got to talking. He showed me a beautiful 6x6 he shot- with a 400 grain arrow!

I’m shooting both weights now, I don’t need to decide for a while.

I typically try for a 440-450 grain arrow for elk. I've had complete pass through with a 390 grain arrow, but feel more comfortable with a little heavier. For trajectory I prefer an arrow in the 280-290 fps, unless using the longbow. Slower speeds I opt for heavier arrows.

Comment

Just a reminder, always have at least a plan/areas A, B and C. 38 days out and just found out my Plan A area in Idaho is on fire

Comment

I'm shooting the new RX1-Ultra at 31 1/2" and 82lbs. 200 spine Black Eagle Spartan arrows at 565gr including the 125 QAD Exodus. Out of my setup they are flying at 299-301 fps. With the calculation provided at the archery shop I'm pushing 104 ft/lbs of KE. Heavy and slow is good, but heavy and fast is way better. With my draw length and an 80lb bow it sure gives me some wiggle room.

Comment

38 days till I'm headed out to CO. Plan A and B are in Unit 62 but we have some close backup plans in a near by unit if we cant get on them there. Pushing hard with this last month of training to get in shape. Cant freakin wait!
                          Last edited by Gclyde28; 07-30-2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Looks like I may be taking a position with Boeing in Helena, so I will be able to start scouting before my buddies show up.

Comment

New Mexico Game and Fish envelope in the mailbox today!

Comment

For those that hunt water a lot what time of day do the elk usually come to water? Do y’all set up directly on the water or ambush on the way to water?

Comment

Working...
                                X