Question about HD camera filming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about HD camera filming

I have a Canon Vixia and really like it. Can I use a regular (non HD) mini digital video tape to record in HD or do I need a HD tape?

Without getting into technical terms, you can shoot on a Sony/Panasonic/etc standard mini dv tape. Depending on who I film for, I typically use the Sony premium. But for some shows, they want the higher quality tapes. The last ones I used were called "digital master". The price is the big issue when I supply tapes. The digital master usually run from 12-15 bucks PER TAPE.
    Maybe try to contact Mr. Lovett on here and he can give you better info.

Comment

According to the guys over on hv20 it doesn't make a difference of the media type. There are some guys on there that are independent movie producers and they don't use the high dollar tapes to shoot a short film. They use the cheapo's and reuse them when they are finished.

Me personally, I don't know.

Mr. Lovett will tell there is a difference

Comment

Thanks. I used a regular tape with my HD camera and my (untrained) eye couldn't tell the difference between a regular DV tape and a HD tape. It looked HD to me.

Comment

It does make a difference. When you tape on regular DVC tape you will not get the same resolution transfer as you do with a tape that is rated for full 1080. The reason is that the high noise ratio that you get on cheaper tape. When your HD camera works it will write data at a higher rate than the cheaper tapes like. It is not a huge difference but if you want to begin transferring your film to BlueRay disk for play in the newest breed of HD Media player you will wonder why your film does not resemble some of the higher quality DVD's and lower quality BlueRay Discs.

Comment

Working...
          X