if Deer love acorns...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if Deer love acorns...

Since deer prefer acorns to corn. Would it make any sense to gather acorns and then throwing them in the feeder pen? (acorning, versus corning) I thought if you hunted the blind/feeder pen for several days, maybe the deer would stay longer in the pen during the rut. I live next to several live oaks that are raining down acorns and it would be easy to collect 50# before we go hunting.

I’ve always been inclined to do so. I’m going to try it this year when the neighborhood oaks start dropping. It’s free (except my time) so there is nothing to lose. Interested to see what others have found. I’ll be distributing outside of a pen so I’m worried about hogs but we shall see.

Comment

Yes, they work great. If you have a place you can easily collect them I recommend it over corn. Even better if you can freeze them to save for late season when all the acorns are gone.

Comment

I did collect acrons one year for my nephew as a Christmas gift, but I don't think they used it. But, a word of caution. There are some type of larvae on acrons, we noticed this as we stored them in plastic grocery bags. So, the way to zap the larvae is to freeze them. I would put the acorns in the freezer for a day or so, and I never saw them again.
        Last edited by SaintBlaise; 09-16-2018, 05:02 PM.

Comment

I’ve always wondered why they’ve never made a protein feed with acorns as the main ingredient

Comment

I think it would be easier to simply locate and hunt a good oak that is dropping acorns.

Comment

Ive even gone as far as to grind and dry them. Stored them in a freezer and after the trees were done dumped it out at the feeder. Like moths to a flame!! Only problem it was just does and small bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                I think it would be easier to simply locate and hunt a good oak that is dropping acorns.
                Easy to say unless you hunt a place that is 75-90% oaks

Comment

Originally posted by Colton View Post
                  Easy to say unless you hunt a place that is 75-90% oaks
                  Yes it is, because I do.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                    Yes it is, because I do.
                    Cool

Comment

With that many trees dropping acorns why would deer jump into a pen to eat some?

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                        With that many trees dropping acorns why would deer jump into a pen to eat some?
                        In my case that would mean because we have a total of 5 oak trees on 7000 acres where I hunt, but here in town I 'live' with 2 big oaks in my front yard that can choke the grass out with acorns and fuzz.

Having said that...I am too lazy to collect them like the OP

Comment

I’ll pass.

Skinny

Comment

When you go to HEB and buy oranges do you pick the old ones or the freshest ones you can find? Deer are eating the freshest just fallen acorns. If all acorns were the same there have been years deer would have to move just for water never having to stand for 3 days because of the number of acorns around them while bedded.

Comment

Don’t collect them and store them in an old igloo cooler- they will rot and stink very quickly.

Comment

Working...
                              X