Grass/Yard Gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grass/Yard Gurus

I have had a good turf of grass nice and green all summer until about 2 weeks ago. Now I have bad brown/thin spots in places.

Any ideas???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

water

Comment

Looks like August to me.

Comment

Type of grass? You probably need an Insecticide

Chinch bugs or army worms

Comment

Looks like a fungus or bugs...Just not sure which one.

Mine looks the same

Comment

IMO its because of the heat, I mow a ton of yards (30+) and they all are starting to get like this!

Comment

Alright, I'll jump in...

Its really the wrong time of year for fungus. They are (almost) all fall/spring when the temperatures are more moderate and there is adequate moisture.

Insects - Depending on your grass type there are several insects that could be after it. Based on your location I'm guessing you have some type of bermuda. The pics aren't really clear enough to tell. Armyworms, Chinch Bugs and Grubs are your main three. Identify the problem before you go out and throw out just any insecticide. Treat for a target pest and you will always have better results.

Water - I'll never forget the first day of my plant pathology class at A&M when the professor told us 90% of plants die from water: either too much or too little. Grass can handle the heat and warm nights as long as it has adequate moisture. Most people underwater every day and squeak by instead of watering to the point of run off and letting water soak in.

Post some closer pictures where we can see leaf margins and stems. If they are clean and not getting chewed up then I'd look in the soil for grubs. Beyond that, check your water bill. It's cheaper than laying sod every year. If you want to lay sod, give me a call and I'll sell you some

Comment

When it was 100+ that two weeks it stayed green. I’ll look for worms. This has been since the 3” rain we had definitely no shortage of water on it.

Comment

Yes Bermuda. I’ll get some better pics tomorrow. Thanks all for the help.

Comment

Bayer insecticide that kills cinch bugs. And water.

Comment

Grubs?

Comment

More than likely grub worms if it isn’t dry. Orange is usually a chemical burn, but I can’t really tell.. Peel layer of sod back in several places. If you have more than 5 grub or chinch worms in a sq ft you have an issue. You can treat them with insecticide, but make sure to put down a grub worm preventer mid June next year to avoid the same issues. They usually lay eggs in early/mid July and hatch early August. If all else fails, throw some Milorganite down and keep the water on it. Bermuda is tough!

Comment

Comment

Dug a couple test holes and saw several grubs. Put down the grub killer and watering it in now. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like drought stress to me

Comment

Working...
                              X