• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang you talked about a souped up Red Rider!!! Wow

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
      Charlie,

Which 25 is your favorite?
      If I was a right hand shooter, the Cricket would top my list. However, I'm a lefty. I still shoot the Cricket a lot, but I have to dismount the gun to work the cocking lever and when shooting, it is embedded into my cheek bone. After a while it becomes uncomfortable. the Vulcan is ambidextrous so I was able to set it up for left hand shooting. The .25 Cricket is also way heavier than the Vulcan. If you look at the pic of the 2 crickets (first pic in my post), the top gun is the .25. Originally, it had the same stock on it as the .22. I took a reciprocating saw, grinder and lots of sandpaper to the stock to lighten it up. I was able to take out 1.1 pounds of plastic out of that stock!! I used my soldering pen gun to stipple the hand grip and fore end. It actually came out pretty nice. Both the Cricket and Vulcan are accurate to the extreme, but the Cricket is tuned a little hotter (about 930 fps) than the Vulcan (895 fps) so the Cricket hits with a bit more punch and shoots a little flatter. If you know your range accurately though, you can shoot very accurately and consistently out to 100 yards with good ammo. ( I usually shoot JSB Kings 25.9 grain pellets)...

Comment

I was hoping those were in the same price range as the Hatsun bullpup guns I was looking at but guess I will need to keep saving. Is it just a better quality of parts for the more expensive guns? interested newbie here that is just going on fps numbers, and they are similar on these guns. I honestly thought they would be higher fps being charged versus the break barrel guns like my buddy got. I think his is supposed to be 12-1300. I will continue to read up on these since I have the bug now

Comment

Originally posted by ckamp52 View Post
          I was hoping those were in the same price range as the Hatsun bullpup guns I was looking at but guess I will need to keep saving. Is it just a better quality of parts for the more expensive guns? interested newbie here that is just going on fps numbers, and they are similar on these guns. I honestly thought they would be higher fps being charged versus the break barrel guns like my buddy got. I think his is supposed to be 12-1300. I will continue to read up on these since I have the bug now
          Speed is an air gun is a marketing myth, and is actually counterproductive as speed above subsonic can lead to accuracy issues. I have one of those 1200 FPS nitro piston guns and I shoot the heaviest pellet I can find to bring the speed down. 16 gr .177 pellet hitting a collared dove at 30 yards sounds like I’m whipping my kid with a paddle, there is a noticeable “thwack” when that pellet makes contact and knocks the bird 5-6’ off its perch!

Comment

guess if I would have read a little mo betta I would have noticed they listed different velocities for different rounds

Comment

A good way to find out a lot about these PCP guns and other air guns and how they operate as well as important characteristics about air guns in general is to get on You Tube and search for Teds Holdover... He has done a lot of videos on the whole science of air guns (Well that is unless You tube has taken down the gun videos lately)... In the early days Ted did a lot of nice how to and "why" videos on air guns... then because of his popularity on You tube, he got sponsors and his newer videos are little more than infomercials for his sponsors.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                If I was a right hand shooter, the Cricket would top my list. However, I'm a lefty. I still shoot the Cricket a lot, but I have to dismount the gun to work the cocking lever and when shooting, it is embedded into my cheek bone. After a while it becomes uncomfortable. the Vulcan is ambidextrous so I was able to set it up for left hand shooting. The .25 Cricket is also way heavier than the Vulcan. If you look at the pic of the 2 crickets (first pic in my post), the top gun is the .25. Originally, it had the same stock on it as the .22. I took a reciprocating saw, grinder and lots of sandpaper to the stock to lighten it up. I was able to take out 1.1 pounds of plastic out of that stock!! I used my soldering pen gun to stipple the hand grip and fore end. It actually came out pretty nice. Both the Cricket and Vulcan are accurate to the extreme, but the Cricket is tuned a little hotter (about 930 fps) than the Vulcan (895 fps) so the Cricket hits with a bit more punch and shoots a little flatter. If you know your range accurately though, you can shoot very accurately and consistently out to 100 yards with good ammo. ( I usually shoot JSB Kings 25.9 grain pellets)...
                Thank you!

Comment

Slick, I appreciate the rundown. I now know way more than I did about these guns.

Comment

Mine is still in the classifieds if anybody wants to get in the PCP game cheaply

Comment

What does PCP mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
                        What does PCP mean?
                        Pre-charged pneumatics

Comment

So what would be the ideal caliber for, say, squirrels, rabbits, and collared doves?

Comment

A spring gun shooting 1200 to 1300 fps, is shooting lighter pellets. I have been shooting air rifles since I was a kid, have owned all types of air rifles. Spring gun performances have gone up since I bought my last spring gun. At one point years ago, probably 15 to 20 years ago, the British were making double piston spring guns, that were pretty powerful, but heavy and I think pretty bulky. The British have put a lot of effort into air rifles, because it is near impossible to own a functioning fire arm on that **** island.

These precharged air rifles that are becoming so popular, are actually a reintroduction and modernized versions of air rifles from the 1600s through the 1800s. For a long time, the fastest way to get off multiple shots with a rifle, was to get a air rifle. From what I understand, very few people owned them, they seemed to be owned mainly by rich hunters. But also they were popular with poachers, for the purpose of poaching the kings deer, because they were quieter and could be fired much quicker than the black powder flint locks of the day. Even those old air rifles from 200 to 400 years ago, would easily kill deer and boar.

These new precharged air rifles, can be very accurate, quiet and powerful. The larger bore guns, such as the 357 to 45 caliber guns, can be quite powerful. There is a video of a guy shooting a pig probably around 180 lbs. or so, pretty quick kill. Then they show it in slow motion, the bullet passes clean through on a chest.

I plan on getting one of these new rifles, I figure somewhere around a 357 caliber, possibly one of the bigger bore guns. If I get one, it will be for the purpose of shooting hogs, since they are non game animals.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                              So what would be the ideal caliber for, say, squirrels, rabbits, and collared doves?
                              177 or 22 caliber will work fine. It really does not take much to kill the critters you listed. Stepping up to one of the more powerful 25 caliber guns, would be a bit overkill, but would extend your range.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                                177 or 22 caliber will work fine. It really does not take much to kill the critters you listed. Stepping up to one of the more powerful 25 caliber guns, would be a bit overkill, but would extend your range.
                                Noted. Thank you!!

Comment

Working...
                                X