Which One?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which One?

I'm trying to get my son his first branched antler deer this weekend. These 2 have shown up at the same stand the past few weeks. It will more than likely be whichever one steps out first but if they both come out at the same time, which one would you suggest shooting? A little background, overall we try to wait until deer are at least 4.5 years old (<500 acres with even smaller neighbors) but kids get a pass for a while. I don't think either of these are that old, thoughts on age or which one has the most potential for future years? I'm a big believer in working your way up and/or shooting something better than the year before. So far he has only shot a spike so he will definitely be moving up. But I also don't want him to shoot too big of a deer to make sure he has room to keep moving up until it is mature/trophy only. So these are the 2 that have been the most constant that I think meet his criteria.

Deer number 1 - 8 point
    Click image for larger version

Name:	STC_0295.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	25165401

Name:	STC_0521.jpg
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	25165402

Deer number 2 - 8 point with a big freak point.

Name:	STC_0666.jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	25165403

Name:	STC_0668.jpg
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	25165404

take out #1

Comment

I’m sure he would be thrilled with either one. I like the 2nd one.

Comment

Number 1 needs to get out of the heard faster than #2 imho.

Comment

They both walk out, Let him shoot whichever one offers the best shot. It's his FIRST one, don't get too caught up in the management part. After he gets his first one THEN start teaching him management.

Comment

Originally posted by lovetohunt View Post
            Number 1 needs to get out of the heard faster than #2 imho.
            I tend to agree with this but...

Originally posted by Deathrow Jethro View Post
            They both walk out, Let him shoot whichever one offers the best shot. It's his FIRST one, don't get too caught up in the management part. After he gets his first one THEN start teaching him management.
            This is more likely what will happen. I'll be happy with either and I know he will definitely be happy with either. And considering I haven't seen either in person (others have) I would say the odds of seeing them both at the same time is slim to none.

Comment

If both out at the same time, take #1, I see more potential in #2.

Comment

Number 1

Comment

Originally posted by Deathrow Jethro View Post
                  Concur. Well said. My son's first hunt for an antlered buck was excellent, he shot a big 9 point in the morning, and an 8 point that afternoon. Knowing now what we didn't know then, we would have let the 8 point walk (13", vs. 19" for the 9 point). Best of luck to your son.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

take out the first in my opinion

Comment

#1. the 2nd deer has crazy potential.

Comment

#1 this year

#2 will be a wall hanger in a couple more years

Comment

I would try for #1. #2 seems as if he has some pretty great potential.

But it being a first buck and a young hunter, I see nothing at all wrong with being a little less management minded and killing whichever one you see.

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Doesn't matter which ever one shows up would be good for him, being his first.

Comment

Take the first one that presents and ethical shot

Comment

Working...
                              X