No announcement yet.

TRAPPING SEASON Thread 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw two raccoons driving out to the deer blind this morning but I’m pretty sure none in the buckets as I drove past. On the upside I have some good intel on a new location to trap for them. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post

TUCO, how do you set your traps?

Honestly mine are still sitting out since last year. I will pop them a few times and then set them. I always use domestic dog droppings as the bait. I sometimes put a little female coyote in heat scent on a stick next to the droppings.

I have never done the dirt hole. My land is pretty flat and I don't have any humps to dig a hole into.
      Hey SB,

I will post up photos of a few sets so you can get a better idea on how to make them.

Most of my dirt hole sets are made on flat ground with a grass backing.

Comment

Anyone set their gut drop locations?

We always put our gutpiles in the same location and I have thought of setting near these.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
          Anyone set their gut drop locations?

We always put our gutpiles in the same location and I have thought of setting near these.
          I've found it extremely difficult to catch coyotes around a boneyard when there is still carrion available for them to eat.

It's hard to pull them away from a food source that they are already dead set on visiting; even if you are setting right on top of the sign.

The closer you set to the dump, the more likely you are to catch non-targets like coon, skunk, and possum. You always have to keep scavenging birds in mind as well when trapping these areas.

If I do set around one of these locations, I usually back off fifty to a hundred yards away from the carcass, and make my sets there.

The upwind side of trails that lead to these areas are the great places to make sets.

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
            I've found it extremely difficult to catch coyotes around a boneyard when there is still carrion available for them to eat.

It's hard to pull them away from a food source that they are already dead set on visiting; even if you are setting right on top of the sign.

The closer you set to the dump, the more likely you are to catch non-targets like coon, skunk, and possum. You always have to keep scavenging birds in mind as well when trapping these areas.

If I do set around one of these locations, I usually back off fifty to a hundred yards away from the carcass, and make my sets there.

The upwind side of trails that lead to these areas are the great places to make sets.
            I consider coons an added target species.....LOL. I get what you are saying though. Just a thought.

Comment

I’ve saved the carcass of a pig and deer I shot and was planning on finding a good spot that has only a few openings through thick brush I could set snares on or put blind sets on. What do y’all think? I think of it like a huge cubby with multiple entrances.

Comment

Originally posted by ElCid07 View Post
                I’ve saved the carcass of a pig and deer I shot and was planning on finding a good spot that has only a few openings through thick brush I could set snares on or put blind sets on. What do y’all think? I think of it like a huge cubby with multiple entrances.

I think your on the right track, if you have an area with thick brush and no livestock access, you should do really well on coyotes, provided you get the snare circle nose high.

Comment

I really like and appreciate this post. Brings back memories from my younger days. Thinking I am going to make a few sets this weekend also. Save a fawn or two. Thanks

Comment

Man this cold front is getting me all fired up hahaah I've got traps just waiting to be put in well prolly next week they will be it's going to be a fun winter

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ElCid07 View Post

This is what I was thinking. I have a downed tree I can use to place it in.

Comment

Good start fellas. Before selling to local markets I would seriously look into shipping direct to Groenwalds. They inspect your pelts, call you with a offer, if you accept , they cut you a check. If you don't they will send your furs back to you free of cost.

Or just roll the dice and send them to NAFA...they will sell sooner or later..

Comment

These are two of the sets that produced first night catches on day one.

1½” Dirt Hole – Bait/Wool - GHII

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9969A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	24518356

1½” Double Dirt Hole – Bait/Wool – Violator 7.

Name:	IMG_9974A.jpg
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	24518357

The first set produced the big male, and the second set caught the coyote in the background.

There were two additional sets in-between the two catches.

Sets were placed on the upwind side of the sendero.

Name:	IMG_1285A1.jpg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	24518358

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
                            Good start fellas. Before selling to local markets I would seriously look into shipping direct to Groenwalds. They inspect your pelts, call you with a offer, if you accept , they cut you a check. If you don't they will send your furs back to you free of cost.

Or just roll the dice and send them to NAFA...they will sell sooner or later..
                            I sent my cats to NAFA last year. Thanks for the info on Groenwalds, I will check that out.

Comment

Got a grinner last night in my bucket set. Then something got to the grinner. Itching to get a real line going but it will have to wait till thanksgiving break.

Comment

TRAPPING SEASON Thread 2017-2018

Seeing how mountain lions are getting ran over around here I figured I better gear up for them. [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-
                                cdn.com/20171110/5a7d8c5130daa3b23f6382d0cad69ec1.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Btoutdoors; 11-09-2017, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X