Trailer wheel bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer wheel bearings?

How does one know when wheel bearings on a trailer need to be replaced?

At work we have a 14’ trailer with dual 3500 pound axles. All four wheels have some noticeable play if you wiggle them when the trailer is unloaded. Is any amount of play normal?

The bearings have not been serviced/repacked in the last couple of years to my knowledge. We probably pull it two days a week on average.

Thanks.

repack them and you should be fine. if a hub is getting hot it time to change bearings.

Comment

clean all the grease off of them and look for pits or chips in bearing and race, if it all looks good just repack the bearing with grease and tighten up the nut, but not too tight or you can burn the bearing up.
      there shouldn't be any play or wobble in the wheel but you should be able to spin the tire freely.

Comment

The wheel and tire shouldn't have much top to bottom movement when you push it. Do the hubs have regular caps or greasable "bearing buddies"? If the later just give them a few pumps of grease. Might also pull the caps and see if you can get another hole out of the spindle castle nut.

Comment

When your tire falls off as you pull into a parking lot, then you know it is way past time to repack or replace the bearings. Ask me how I know!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
            When your tire falls off as you pull into a parking lot, then you know it is way past time to repack or replace the bearings. Ask me how I know!
            This. Happened to me to. Now I’m going to repack and or replace bearings about every two years, unless needed sooner. It’s to cheap of a fix to not get it done periodically

Comment

Bearings should be serviced at least annually

Pick up new bearings, and a new seal (you’ll ruin the old one, trust me)

Grease them with quality grease, that is rated for braking axle service (it is more heat tolerant). Waving a bearing near grease is not going to last, you’re going to smoke that bearing in short order. You have to force the grease into the bearings. This takes a little time.

Reassemble and put proper preload on the castle nut before installing the cotter pin. Tap on a new dust cap, and you’re good to go.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Wiggle in tires is most likely lose nut, pull pin and tighten...but don’t over tighten. While your in that far, Ishtar as well repack.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                  That's my method also

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

They are so cheap if you are going to get that far into them to repack them you should replace them I do mine every 2 years,

Comment

Make it a habit to feel of your hubs every time you stop any time you pull a trailer. If they are getting hot you need to replace or re-pack.

If a trailer is getting used a lot you will most likely need to do it annually. On the other hand, if a trailer is sitting for a long time you may need to do it before any sort of long haul.

If you are using a trailer on a regular basis and the hubs aren't getting hot I'd say re-pack bearings or replace them every couple years or so, just to be on the safe side.

I have a stock trailer I use regularly and I haven't touched the bearings in the 3 years that I've owned it. I also feel the hubs every time I stop and they are never hot.

Comment

i would replace them and get bearing buddys to help grease them

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech38 View Post
                          i would replace them and get bearing buddys to help grease them
                          What he said

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                            repack them and you should be fine. if a hub is getting hot it time to change bearings.
                            This...if the tires are turning true I run them until the hubs start getting hot.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                              This...if the tires are turning true I run them until the hubs start getting hot.
                              Me to and I run bearing buddy's on all four , shoot a couple of times a year, haven't changed my bearings in years

Comment

Working...
                              X