Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M.E.B. View Post
    Retiring in Feb. I’m in
    Good for you Mike! You will love it, it’s been a quick 3 plus years since I pulled the trigger on retirement.

Comment

Im of the age requirement but not so sure I could behave. I'd love to do this, elk is on my bucket list along with mt. lion.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
        We've got some nice elk hunting in the general areas of Southern Wyoming, additional cow tags too.
        Yep. Colorado is tough with large populations of hunters.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by loco cacahuate View Post
          Im of the age requirement but not so sure I could behave. I'd love to do this, elk is on my bucket list along with mt. lion.
          Well BroPeanut, I would dearly love to share camp with ya.
          Let's make this happen.

Like I said, it'll be 2020 before I'm able, but I'll be rarin & ready to go by that time.

Rick

Comment

Rick and whomever else is interested, if you guys are serious. I’d highly suggest buying a point in Wyoming this year and next. By 2020 you can get a general elk tag and it will be much lower pressure and probably lower elevation. Lots more bugling than most CO OTC tags as well. Perfect wall tent/camper set up and then hunt areas abound.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
              Rick and whomever else is interested, if you guys are serious. I’d highly suggest buying a point in Wyoming this year and next. By 2020 you can get a general elk tag and it will be much lower pressure and probably lower elevation. Lots more bugling than most CO OTC tags as well. Perfect wall tent/camper set up and then hunt areas abound.
              Can you just pay for the preference point without applying for a full price non-resident license? Not versed in this at all.

Comment

I am only mid 50s but I can behave. I would love to go with a group. I have not been since 2015. I am serious about going again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                  Can you just pay for the preference point without applying for a full price non-resident license? Not versed in this at all.

Yes, you will need to open an account with the state of Wyoming. Then you can purchase a preference point only for $52 for elk, $41 for deer and $31 for antelope. But lots of places can be had for only a couple points. Tags are expensive, but so is every state for non-residents. Kind of like my CO buddies who came down and choked on the $300 license here in Texas when they pay $42 for a resident elk tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Never seriously considered hunting elk before, but I've just spent hours researching possibilities in Colorado, Idaho and Wyoming. Looks like you can find plenty of great guided hunts for $6,000 or $7,000 and up. Drop camps seem to run from around $1,500 to $2,500 per hunter. Access seems pretty available, although in Wyoming it looks like you have to have a guide (or Wyoming resident) with you to hunt any "wilderness" area -- plus "preference points" seem necessary to get into more sought-after units. This raises the other issue for the truly ignorant -- how do you even know where you WANT to hunt/apply?

Comment

I'm looking at a drop camp in Montana.

Comment

Drt,
                        Our unit gets 12" of rain annually, hunt the entire month of archery last 4 years, hunt waterhole, seeps, wallows almost exclusively. So not alot of rain to dodge but alot of sweat for sure. Calling works certain years, depends on temperature. Not the typical Colorado elk country, no trout to fish for, no water to hold them. It's a sit and wait game mostly, perfect for us older guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                          And don't mind hauling elk quarters out of nasty holes ???

Well hauling meat out can be very easy , you cal up one of the many locals that offer a a service you give them GPS and the bring in pack animals . One location I hunt in Co is a no brainer its a tough hike with just your gear

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                            Never seriously considered hunting elk before, but I've just spent hours researching possibilities in Colorado, Idaho and Wyoming. Looks like you can find plenty of great guided hunts for $6,000 or $7,000 and up. Drop camps seem to run from around $1,500 to $2,500 per hunter. Access seems pretty available, although in Wyoming it looks like you have to have a guide (or Wyoming resident) with you to hunt any "wilderness" area -- plus "preference points" seem necessary to get into more sought-after units. This raises the other issue for the truly ignorant -- how do you even know where you WANT to hunt/apply?

Well either a friend or some one like me that hunts I hunt public land myself.. I have 4500 to hunt that is private but its in the north west part and the drive is a killer two days to get there 2 back and I just dont have the extra time .

Look into public you might be shocked at how good it can be . Tons of game out there ,

Comment

Yes that is one way. Just plan for it in your budget.

Comment

In 2020 elk season I’ll only be 28 so I don’t qualify for the party! But it sounds like y’all will have a blast!
                                I actually hunt the same area you are talking about. I’m leaving to go up there this Saturday. I’ll be taking my new static tip recurve I’m just about finished making. My dad and friends will be joining me later in the month.
                                Great fishing in that area too!
                                When you do go be sure to eat at Fina’s diner in Chama. She will take care of you I guarantee! She makes a breakfast burrito that is so big it is served in a pirex pan lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X