Costal skinny water chariot overhaul #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
    So I guess I'm rebuilding 2 boats at the same time now.....terrible idea!! However I couldn't pass this cl find up. I've wanted one since I first saw one 15 years ago in Poc. It needs work but I got a heck of a deal on the hull only.

The overhaul begins Saturday.

Mowdy s10
    Length 10'9"
    Beam 5'7"
    Draft 4"

Can run in 2" of water!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was this the boat that sat out by the highway on 30 for a while between Brushy Creek and the Church? It sure looks familiar.

Good luck with the rebuild! Hope she works out like planned

Comment

Not sure bloodstick. I picked this one up in centrerville.

Comment

Originally posted by hunt247 View Post
        Where do you order your fiberglass stuff from?
        I'm using iBoats.

Comment

Just acquired my valiant steeds!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Comment

Just acquired my valiant steeds!!!!!!!!!!!

What you got there? 50? 2 stroke?

Comment

Sooooo... I called mowdy twice and talked to 2 different guys. Both told me to not exceed 25hp 4 stroke and 30hp 2 stroke. They have a 13' boat that can handle the 50hps. Mowdy sells the s10 with a factory installed 20hp 4 stroke.

Long story short I got a 25hp Yamaha 2 stroke.

Comment

And my Wetlander bottom paint came in. Lord willing the underside of the boat will be 100% completed this weekend.

Comment

Back about 1954 there was an article in Outdoor Life magazine about two men from Harlingen that built wood scooters about this size and fished the three islands area of of the mouth of The Arooya Colorado.Lawrence was one of their names..anyway ,I built one from their dimensions. Turned out to be 10ft 6 in long,by 4 ft wide by 6 in thick.....powered it with a 25 Hp Merc quicksilver. It would fly in skinney water. I fished it from Port Isabel to the Three Islands area on both sides of the Laguna MADRE till I left Brownsville in 1971..

Comment

Is that the boat that you steer by leaning to port or starboard? I've seen pictures and those are neat!!!!

Comment

Sooooo... I called mowdy twice and talked to 2 different guys. Both told me to not exceed 25hp 4 stroke and 30hp 2 stroke. They have a 13' boat that can handle the 50hps. Mowdy sells the s10 with a factory installed 20hp 4 stroke.

Long story short I got a 25hp Yamaha 2 stroke.
                        If you need help getting touch with the original owner/designer/builder Clark Mowdy. Hit me up. I am friends with on Facebook. Right before he sold the business he was taking Process Technology classes with me at Victoria College. He is now a boardroom operator for INVISTA.

Comment

Originally posted by megger89 View Post
                          If you need help getting touch with the original owner/designer/builder Clark Mowdy. Hit me up. I am friends with on Facebook. Right before he sold the business he was taking Process Technology classes with me at Victoria College. He is now a boardroom operator for INVISTA.
                          Yes!

Can you please ask him if I can cut the deck and fish the controls through the hull from the console to the engine. I can properly reseal the deck. I want to hide all the cables.

Comment

Last round of filler is done. One more coat of primer to go!

Oh, and more sanding.

Comment

Look close enough and you can see smoke..... rip sander #3.

Comment

Not bad for a plumber.....took 5 layers of glass and a thin layer of filler. Should disappear when covered.

Comment

Working...
                                X