85 gal alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 gal alternative

With out having much luck finding an 85gl barrel at aresonable price and hearing so much negative input about welding two 55's together this is what I came up with.
    First I came up with two 55's cost 0. I took one of the barrels and cut it in half with my Skill saw. Cost 0. Since thes barrelswere the ones with the scew in bungs I cut the tops with my tourch. cost a couple of bucks for the gas. I then welded the barrel half to the top of the full barrel. cost three or four bucks for the welding wire. I have a slip on lid so that wasgiven to me so that did not cost any thing. alittle paint and it will be ready to go. I figure it will hold approx. 550 lbs of corn and is only 17 1/4 inch taller then a regular 55. total cost 10 dollars compared to 125 dollars.
    Attached Files

Very nice!

Comment

Looks good. Whats the negative about welding two 55's together? The height?

Comment

The famous groups of T.H.E.Y. say that two 55.s catch to much wind, is to tall and you better have some strong legs to support it. I also think it may be a little akward for on person to mess with.

Comment

nice job and the cost is the best part...

what does T.H.E.Y stand for????

Comment

I never have welded two 55's together, just for the reason of the height. I do have one of those poly overpack drums( the kind you set leaking 55g in) to play with. Thx for posting pics, very good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
              I never have welded two 55's together, just for the reason of the height. I do have one of those poly overpack drums( the kind you set leaking 55g in) to play with. Thx for posting pics, very good idea.
              one like this???
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by crittergitter View Post
                nice job and the cost is the best part...

what does T.H.E.Y stand for????
                As In what 'They Say". Nobody knows who they are. The most Quoted organization around and only the the smartest are aloud to join. Those that don't qualify often become members of T.H.E.M......

Comment

I have a twin sister to that CG

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                    I have a twin sister to that CG
                    i hope she is the pretty one

Comment

Cool... What kind of welder did you use?

Comment

I would say that is the way to go. I payed $85 for an 85 gallon drum several years ago. Good job!

Comment

Originally posted by ByronB View Post
                          I would say that is the way to go. I payed $85 for an 85 gallon drum several years ago. Good job!
                          Very nice

Comment

Two 55's together get awful tall! You had to take turns on the winch handle to get her up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	115_1512b (Medium).JPG
Views:	6
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	23869935

Comment

Originally posted by Zookeeper View Post
                              The famous groups of T.H.E.Y. say that two 55.s catch to much wind, is to tall and you better have some strong legs to support it. I also think it may be a little akward for on person to mess with.
                              Attach the legs closer to the top, it will center the the weight & make it more stable, also spaces the legs farther away from the motor so critters can't get to it. You will just need longer legs.

Comment

Working...
                              X