Never killed a big deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never killed a big deer

So with my last thread of not seeing big deer on cams. I guess my next question is this. Who here has never killed a big deer or a mature deer? I am the number on on the list here. I grew up hunting but i got my dad in to it and basically we've probably been doing something wrong as neither of us has ever killed anything big or mature in close to 20 years of hunting (-5 while in the Marine Corps). So 15 years or solid effort i believe

What do you think is big? 130",150",300"? Everyone's opinion of big is different.

if you wanna kill a 150" deer you gotta hunt where there is 150" deer. All just depends on where your at

Comment

Hell I've never even killed one. This will be my third season hunting. Good luck this year! And by never killed one I mean I have ZERO kills. Deer are definitely outsmarting me haha

Comment

I'd be happy with any solid mature deer. Having probably never killed a deer that came near 100" id be thrilled with a 130" deer

Comment

as was mentioned above, you have to hunt in a place big deer live and are managed. a lot of small tracts with heavy hunting pressure is not a recipe to grow big deer either.

Comment

To kill big deer you got to hunt where they live, and then sit on your hands and watch them get big

Comment

Forget about killing big deer and focus on hunting smart, in good areas and taking care of details and the big deer will follow.

Comment

Forget about killing big deer and focus on hunting smart, in good areas and taking care of details and the big deer will follow.
                This

Comment

Depends on what your definition of big is. I've never killed a buck scoring over 140. I've also never actually scored any of the bucks that I've killed. Scored em for family and friends but never one of mine. I just don't care what it scores to tell ya the truth. Been hunting since I was 8 yrs old and I'm 32 now. For the first 3/4 of my hunting career I hunted horns. Bigger young bucks never stood a chance. But now I only try and shoot mature bucks. No matter how big. And the places I hunt definitely aren't known for having "big" mature bucks.

Comment

If you are not somewhere that has a pretty good management program and the acreage to support it, your chances of killing a 130 are pretty slim. Like once in a lifetime type of deal. Someone already mentioned.. you have to be where the big deer are. I've been hunting for 20 years and have seen less than 10 deer in all that time in the wild that would score over 130, and I've hunted plenty of properties that held those type of deer.

It is tough. You can dang sure find them a little easier if you can put in a lot of time and hunt the weather though.

And for the record, I've only killed 2 over 130.

Comment

I've only killed one that barely missed 130" and I've killed bunches around 120". Only hunting East Tx, monsters are hard to come by.

Comment

I have hunted for 16 years. And only killed 4 bucks, Not one was over 130.

But I have seen plenty of mature and big bucks. Just always see them during bad weather like high winds causing the tower blind to move a lot, or they never gave me a shot opportunity.

Comment

111 6 point. I kill only does now hunted for over 50 years. haint found a way yet to cook horns.

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                            To kill big deer you got to hunt where they live, and then sit on your hands and watch them get big
                            Shoot the first buck that walks out and then when you are field-dressing it and the bigger one walks out----let the small bucks walk.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                              I agree with this, but would also add that "big" is relative and may not ever happen where you are, but mature definitely can, and that's where its at for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X