Urban Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urban Hunting

I know it is a long shot but not being able to pay lease prices and the number of big deer we have in town I been thinking. Why not we have golf course big park areas and several 2 to 8 acre and a couple 50acre tracks that could be hunted. Has anyone tried this where you live dealing with the city, county or who do you start with?

Originally posted by Saddle Tramp View Post
    I know it is a long shot but not being able to pay lease prices and the number of big deer we have in town I been thinking. Why not we have golf course big park areas and several 2 to 8 acre and a couple 50acre tracks that could be hunted. Has anyone tried this where you live dealing with the city, county or who do you start with?
    Yeah, I asked a local golf course if I could bowhunt the course wood lots on their work day. The laughed at me.

Comment

Good luck. Unless they are causing a problem...and a serious one at that, the golf course, city, neighborhood, etc. ain't gonna let you come shoot a bow on their place.

It would be really cool though if Texas would do something like Arkansas does with their Urban hunts. If you ever live in Arkansas or have the desire to drive there for hunting, they do cool Urban city hunts. It's like $50 for the permit (it was unlimited amount of deer when I did it), come for a seminar and a shooting test. Pass and get your permit. Set up stands, feeders, etc. It was a pretty sweet gig. You could see lots of deer in those cities. It was an all season permit too. I think mine started like 2nd week of September then ran thru December. Unlimited deer. Had to donate the first deer you shot, then the rest were yours to keep.

Comment

Yea I hear the golfers get a little jiggy when they soon you come out of the woods full camo..

Comment

On X maps is your best friend in finding new places to hunt. Gives you property boundaries, names and address' of land owners. You could eliminate properties based on lot size and contact owners directly.

Comment

My buddy is in with a developer and has permission to hunt the land not yet developed it is close to home and has plenty of hogs and deer.

Comment

Hunting urban deer brings its own set of challenges. You don’t need much room but you have to approach things a little different. Lots of commercial buildings sit on acreage. A tree stand in the back of the property works just fine. Might be tough if you don’t know anyone with a place that would work. When I hunt urban I try to only hunt in the evening and shoot close to dark. Makes recovery easier if there are people around. I had to drag one off a playground a couple years ago. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                Hunting urban deer brings its own set of challenges. You don’t need much room but you have to approach things a little different. Lots of commercial buildings sit on acreage. A tree stand in the back of the property works just fine. Might be tough if you don’t know anyone with a place that would work. When I hunt urban I try to only hunt in the evening and shoot close to dark. Makes recovery easier if there are people around. I had to drag one off a playground a couple years ago. Good luck.
                Did you clean it in the Wal Mart parking lot???

Comment

I've done some urban hunting last year, And yes you have to make good shots on the animals your hunting. It might run across a street or parking lot. There can be some really big Bucks that hold up in very small areas. 15 to 30 acre's is all it takes to grow a big one. I know about that somewhat.

Comment

Originally posted by Winman View Post
                    Did you clean it in the Wal Mart parking lot???

No. There is only one good hanging tree in the parking lot and I am sure someone was already using it.[emoji3]
                    I love hunting close to town when I can’t get to the ranch.
                    Killed a big boar this morning 200 yards from a subdivision. Most people have no idea hogs roam the neighborhood at night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Well you think that the Devil came to town.LOL urban hunting Won't happen here even though we have a Big Wal Mart parking lot.

Comment

Definitely a few deer running around the RP County Club. Heard rumors years back when two notorious twins in town ran around terroizing the golf course. I've seen a couple of nice deer around as you mentioned trying to cross 35 at HEB for the brush towards Little Bay. I'm sure Harvey has taken a little toll on a few with damaging a lot of cover though.

Comment

While traditional urban hunting in the backyards of a housing plan isn’t for everyone, that doesn’t mean that many of the same practices can’t apply to other less populated regions. As a whole, when deer live surrounded by frequent human activity, they quickly become desensitized to humans. Hunters can use this weakened sensitivity to outsmart an otherwise extremely cunning creature, gaining an advantage that other masks simply cannot match. Hunters still must follow sound practices to minimize their presence, but coupling those practices with these ideas creates a dynamic situation where deer won’t be themselves and a potential higher degree of success can be had.

Comment

We have the deer. But this town has turned into artsy fartsy BS. But this storm has shown everyone our local officials are useless so maybe we will get some new blood in on elections.

Comment

Working...
                            X