Richland Creek youth hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My nephew got drawn for the youth hunt at Richland Creek next weekend. I will be taking him and we will be taking ATV as well. I have never hunted there before, anybody got any info/advice they wouldn't mind sharing? Feel free to post or PM. We will be taking climbers, pop ups, whatever we gotta do to be in the right location and get him a shot at one.

Take a popup and a 2 man ladder stand unless nephew is old enough to use climber on his own. Make sure he is comfortable. Biggest mistake hunters do in the "big woods" is start moving too early. Need to put time in stand, all day, if you can. Try to find open lanes and hardwoods in the woods. Try to refrain from hunting right of ways and such. The bigger bucks will skirt around these areas unless locked onto a hot doe. I have hunted Tennesseee Colony, Yard, Greens Bluff area since I was knee high to a grasshopper. The river flooded giving landowners surrounding Richland Creek an opportunity at the bruisers that had to swim to high ground...Deer are used to it but there is no telling how many bucks pushed out of RC were harvested. Yall will have a very good chance at killing a big buck if you hunt hard.

Comment

Originally posted by WTJim View Post
      Take a popup and a 2 man ladder stand unless nephew is old enough to use climber on his own. Make sure he is comfortable. Biggest mistake hunters do in the "big woods" is start moving too early. Need to put time in stand, all day, if you can. Try to find open lanes and hardwoods in the woods. Try to refrain from hunting right of ways and such. The bigger bucks will skirt around these areas unless locked onto a hot doe. I have hunted Tennesseee Colony, Yard, Greens Bluff area since I was knee high to a grasshopper. The river flooded giving landowners surrounding Richland Creek an opportunity at the bruisers that had to swim to high ground...Deer are used to it but there is no telling how many bucks pushed out of RC were harvested. Yall will have a very good chance at killing a big buck if you hunt hard.
      We will do that, he's 16 and good with a climber. He hunts the NF with me. Do you know anything about which areas of the WMA are better than others?

Comment

My daughter was drawn twice for Richland Creek
        Both times we were on units on the north side. Both times saw lots of deer.
        I bet y'all have a good hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

One thing about it this year is they are only letting you kill one deer, he has made it very clear he can kill does around here he's only interested in a good buck!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
            My daughter was drawn twice for Richland Creek
            Both times we were on units on the north side. Both times saw lots of deer.
            I bet y'all have a good hunt.

Did y'all hunt out of a pop up?

Comment

Originally posted by SolocamShooter View Post
              Did y'all hunt out of a pop up?

Yup
              Both times.
              There are definitely some good deer there

Comment

Originally posted by WTJim View Post
                Hunters around there are smart, they do not talk or post social media for the most part, LOTTA TOADS got shot around there on private land due to the floods, thats why they went to the limiting only 1 deer per hunter

Comment

Yeah man I don't expect too much specifics just looking for compartment info etc. we can narrow it down from there if anybody's got any tips they wouldn't mind PMing me

Comment

Last time I was there you don't really get to pick your compartment, you can request one but they select where they put you. Part of it they base it off your party size, vehicle clearance and if you have 4x4 or not, smaller groups sometimes get put in a compartment with someone else and you have to hash it out with them who gets what part of the unit.
                    Last edited by bossbowman; 10-21-2017, 07:50 PM.

Comment

North side is better than the South side, try to hunt the oak trees, not a lot of oak trees around either side, North side has some private land in it by the small lake and have seen some good bucks in there next to the private property the lake provides a natural funnel

Comment

Check out the recent airreal photos for natural funnels. Also if it's dry think about water,not many deer to go the river because of the steep slick banks. Forgot to mention there are a few gators around
                        Last edited by furtrapper; 10-21-2017, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Alright thank y'all for the info!

Comment

We were drawn for several hunts there. They do choose compartments based on group size but I believe they still allow you to request several choices for a compartment and they consider that when they draw. We always liked compartment 5. Has all you could want, clearings, woods, right of ways, ATV trails and a couple good sized ponds. We always used pop ups and don't forget your Thermocell. Try to be comfortable enough to hunt all day. You will see the biggest ones when you least expect them. Mostly retired from hunting, so I don't mind sharing the secrets of this great place.

Comment

Ah yes bugs will be bad, headnets are good

Comment

Working...
                              X