Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Is this Buck's Potential?

Here is a buck we have been watching.

He has a weird face and a double white throat patch.

Here he is as a 2 year old

Here he is as a 3 year old

Based on his performance so far... what is his potential?
    Last edited by Encinal; 09-07-2015, 09:55 AM.

Wow, I would have made a big mistake and took him out as a "cull" ( I really don't like that word, but we can save it for another discussion ).

He way more than doubled every measurement in a years time. His frame looks pretty impressive and tine length is good as a 3 year old.

Potential ? I can see 165 or better @ 5, but that is really a wild guess. Be very interesting to see how he turns out !

PS - I enjoy the thought provoking threads you've been posting. You've got some fine looking bucks for sure !

Comment

Way too young to tell at those ages. He made a big jump at 3 and added a point so I'm betting he's on his way.

With unlimited feed I would say the sky is the limit.

What happen to his face do you think...Looks odd to me? Lol

Comment

Seems to be getting bigger every year. He did a big improvement this year. Looking at his 2nd year pic I was having my doubts. I think another year would tell the tale on how long his tines will get. I doubt they will get much taller. I think mass, beam length and spread still have some room to grow. I don't see any non typical tendencies. For me he would be an awesome buck in another couple of years, maybe even next year. But for someone who is trying to grow super monster trophy bucks, he probably would be a cull. Sad for me to even say that, since he definitely improving from his two yr old status.

Is there any indication of what caused the weird antler at 2 yrs of age, but is straightening out at 3 yrs. Injury?

Comment

I don't see him as a cull at 2. He would be interesting to me if he was on our place. A lot of beam, kinda goes out funky which increases spread, great brows from the get go, he's continually added points. He was beat with the ugly stick fo sho but I like him.

Comment

It's very hard to believe that's a 1 year jump. He must live at the protein feeder.

Comment

I see 180+

Comment

Another 3yo view

Comment

I think his 2 to the 3 year old jump looks like your standard progression. I must be missing something...

As far as potential- Most of my bucks have his 3 year old headgear @ the height of their life, so I would not be all that great at guestimating. But knowing your posts and deer, I'm guessing he's over 170 by the time he's 7. Seems to be putting on good mass, points and frame is increasing as well. He continues that trajectory, he probably turned out to be an above average deer for your place.
                  Last edited by perfectstorm; 09-07-2015, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by perfectstorm View Post
                    I think his 2 to the 3 year old jump looks like your standard progression. I must be missing something...

As far as potential- Most of my bucks have his 3 year old headgear @ the height of their life, so I would not be all that great at guestimating. But knowing your posts and deer, I'm guessing he's over 170 by the time he's 7. Seems to be putting on good mass, points and frame is increasing as well. He continues that trajectory, he probably turned out to be an above average deer for your place.
                    Kinda what I was thinking.. He didn't turn into a monster but he has a good lookin frame... I keep up with your threads and see some of the monsters you have. So I'm gonna say this deer ends up growing quite a bit to his 4th year due to pretty good green years, I don't think it would be a surprise for him to get in the 160s in a couple years but who knows!

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post

Another 3 year old view.
                      Yep, that is the buck I was thinking about.

I will see what pics I have of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
                        Way too young to tell at those ages. He made a big jump at 3 and added a point so I'm betting he's on his way.

With unlimited feed I would say the sky is the limit.

What happen to his face do you think...Looks odd to me? Lol
                        I just think he has a long narrow nose... It's just extra long.

Comment

In the one pic he looks like he may have been hit by a snake, face was swollen, but looks like it is getting back to normal. As far as the rack, has good brows and will probably turn out to be a good buck

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                            I just think he has a long narrow nose... It's just extra long.
                            That makes sense....Just took me by surprise for a bit. Lol

Comment

Awesome thread. Can't wait to see if you have a picture of this buck yet! How many TC do you run to keep track of all those deer?

Comment

Working...
                              X