No announcement yet.

Oats or Wheat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fields were chisel plowed and disked 2 weeks ago fairly deep and have had about 1" of rain on them since they were plowed. My plan is to broadcast the seed (either by hand or with a hand held broadcaster) and then drag a fence gate made of 1 1/2" square tubing and cattle panel over the plots to cover the seed.

My first question is since the fields were plowed fairly deep will dragging after I broadcast end up puting the seeds to deep causing problems with getting them up?

Don't worry, I do this exact same thing with zero problems. Unless your fence gate has too much weight on it you will be just fine. My seed broadcaster will be on the front of the 4Wheeler and the fence gate will be draging behind me. If you are using a smaller seed like clover/turnip then you want to hand broadcast after you have covered the oats/wheat. Remember to add for fertilize. Also remember to make mental notes on what works for you. Good Luck!

Comment

well the feed store made up my mind for me!!!!

They ran out of wheat yesterday but had two different types of Oats in stock (1 of them being a regular oat that he said could freeze out if things got cold enough) and then a Harrison Oat, which he said was a Forage Oat and was much more freeze tolerant so I went with the Harrison Oats and am going to broadcast 100lbs per acre this evening

Comment

planted both last year and the deer seamed to hit the wheat first and kept It mowed like a lawn but they also hit the oats hard.

Comment

I've seen oats first hand. Go with oats.

Comment

I think both will work fine and a mix would be good to. But, on the farm, we always "mud in" oats and "dust in" wheat. Your moisture will play more of a role than the grain. Since you have an inch in this past week and you may have some today, oats should do good. But, if it doesn't rain today wheat may be the better choice. Thus, because you are not planting for harvest, plant both.

Comment

Wish you were closer id come and drill it for you. I plant a fall wildlife mix from turner seed in breckenridge and add oats to it. it works well for me

Comment

Originally posted by slomo View Post
                Wish you were closer id come and drill it for you. I plant a fall wildlife mix from turner seed in breckenridge and add oats to it. it works well for me
                yeah we are about 15 miles north of Albany in Throckmorton Cnty so that would be a good little haul from Abilene - Turner makes some good products

Comment

I did a test. 4 acre plot drilled 1/2 in wheat, 1/2 in oats and a strip of turnips down the middle. Turnips did not grow. 9 out of 10 deer would walk through the wheat to get to the oats. In Mason County.

BH

Comment

Why not half and half? Do a little experiment.

Comment

Oats

Comment

most deer prefer oats over wheat

wheat is more cold tolerant

like grayson said, plant both side by side and do your own experiment

Comment

Working...
                        X