Hagerman Segment B Thread of Awesomeness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
    Definitely, thats why they said this year is the last year for a while. They are going to let Hagerman rest for 5 years and do a survey to see if they will start the program up again.

You ain’t right

Comment

Originally posted by SwampyMarsh View Post
      So.....how about that 190"? Apparently i am only curious one.

If you’re gonna stack 50 inches on the buck killed on the first day due to 7th grade girl style rumor and speculation, then sure. Otherwise, didn’t happen [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
        Definitely, thats why they said this year is the last year for a while. They are going to let Hagerman rest for 5 years and do a survey to see if they will start the program up again.

5 years I may be in a nursing home...

Comment

Hell I had to get permission from the nursing home to hunt this time

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
            If you’re gonna stack 50 inches on the buck killed on the first day due to 7th grade girl style rumor and speculation, then sure. Otherwise, didn’t happen [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].
            More like 6th grade

Comment

This weather definitely gave segment c and next years hunters a few more mature bucks to look for. Overall I enjoyed the hunt none the less

Comment

Originally posted by SwampyMarsh View Post
                More like 6th grade
                Yup. Dude ran his mouth then disappeared.

Comment

Third and final day was good to me. It was absolutely a gorgeous day and I was just blessed to be in the woods and watch the sun come up. I only hunted until 1:00 and then had to get back to a dear I found 38 years ago and celebrate her birthday. I saw four doe and no bucks. It really surprised me to see that many doe and no bucks. Until yesterday, I saw a buck behind every doe. I know it was tough hunting conditions for the most part but I saw the most deer total than I have ever seen on a hunting segment ( 6 bucks and 10 doe) and that marks the 10th time I have drawn in 24 years. Also saw about 20 turkey and NO hogs!

What a great property and hunting experience.

Thanks again to Leon for helping me!

Kevin

Comment

Does anyone know what the final count was?

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                      My thoughts on this hunt.

This was my 4th time hunting H and this was by far the worst hunt I have ever had there. Scouting I found decent deer sign but in very few areas and I‎t was very concentrated. Although I have never killed a buck at Hagerman, each of my other 3 hunts there I have seen and been within bow range of 150+” deer. Each time I‎t has been the lack of shooting lane or one trail off that has kept me from killing a really nice buck. I have also killed a pig on 3 of my 4 hunts.

I hiked 13 miles on my scouting trip this year and I‎t was hard to find a single deer track in some areas but other areas you would find 10-15 rubs in a 75 yard square. The hog and coyote sign however is everywhere. No matter where you go in every unit you can tell the hogs are there, and why they will not let you shoot coyotes is beyond me. In the first two hunts I believe there have been 5-6 bucks killed out of 100 hunters in the woods. If you take that 5-6% success rate and put that on any hunt in the world, most people are not signing up. I realize weather has been ****ty and the hunts haven’t been ideal, but with 50 stands in the woods in areas deer should be traveling the weather shouldn’t matter THAT much. I mean public land elk success rates are more than that. Most of the guys i talked to this year saw less than 5 deer for the entire weekend.

That said!!! I‎t is still Hagerman. I have been applying since I was 14 years old and I‎t still has that special feeling about I‎t. I‎t is the only place in Texas I will sit all day on the stand. The genetics are there and the age class is there. Does I‎t still deserve the hype that I‎t gets???! I’m not sure. I‎t is by far one of the best public hunting opportunities in Texas but I‎t definitely isn’t what I‎t was when I first hunted I‎t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      The biggest problem is Hogs are displacing the deer. They better get vary serious about trapping and killing hogs!

Comment

Originally posted by coop2564 View Post
                        The biggest problem is Hogs are displacing the deer. They better get vary serious about trapping and killing hogs!
                        When Hagerman first opened to deer hunting, the hunting season was only during archery season. Very few neighbors hunted, now every piece of property that isn't opened by anti-hunters is hunted and hunted hard all the way until the end of the general season in January.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

You don’t think I‎t has to do with people scouting from August all the way to the first hunt. I worked out there off and on for 3 yrs u see Deer on the green fields pretty good then the people run all over that place about 2 weeks after c hunt deer are back. I think they need to move the scouting to February or do like a place in Oklahoma were u got 4 hours to hang stand and get out.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                            When Hagerman first opened to deer hunting, the hunting season was only during archery season. Very few neighbors hunted, now every piece of property that isn't opened by anti-hunters is hunted and hunted hard all the way until the end of the general season in January.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
                            I'm sure this is true, but evidently few of these people hunting hard shoot hogs because Hag is full of them. Hog sign and hogs everywhere and very little deer sign.

Comment

I hunted Godwin all 3 days and seen a couple small dink bucks & 2 doe. One doe I spooked on the way out and 1 was too far off through the thick brush to get a shot off.

I asked the ranger Sunday morning if any deer have been killed off Godwin, here reply was "Nope, Godwin always sucks".

So if you plan to hunt Godwin in seg C, good luck. My advice, make other arrangements.

Comment

they have traps and pens all over the place out there. most have not been used in a while.

the hogs get smart to them.

maybe they need more hog hunts every year.

Comment

Working...
                                X