Trailer Trash BBQ Pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
    Good looking start . What's the OD on the body?
    The main chamber is 30" O.D., 29 1/2" I.D.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
      That's gonna be a big pit!

I have never done the doors like that. Is it easier than putting your hinges on before cutting it out? I would think it would be harder trying to refit it, but maybe not......

Keep up the good work.
      Thanks!
      I did a lot of online research before doing the doors and theres a lot of folks who do exactly what you're saying. I decided to try it this way so that I could get the skirts welded on easier. The backing on the doors prevented them from warping/springing when I parted them out. The doors fit back perfectly in their respective holes...the hardest part will be resetting the gap of the lower kerf with the door in place when I mount the hinges to the door because gravity wants to make the doors close that gap but I've read a few tricks on how to do that :-)

Last edited by JonBoy; 04-05-2017, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Looking good.

Comment

Looks good. However, CHANGE PLANS. :-) Make it reverse flow--not too late and calculations are the same.

Comment

Lookin good!

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
              Looks good. However, CHANGE PLANS. :-) Make it reverse flow--not too late and calculations are the same.
              Thought about that I think I'm going to stick with offset for a while. I've read it's not too bad to retrofit later if I wanted to make it reverse flow...just adding baffle plates, another hole and relocating the chimney
              Last edited by JonBoy; 04-05-2017, 06:39 AM.

Comment

That's gonna be nice.

Comment

Got the doors skirted and rounds cut this evening. Now I have to start working on the grating mounts on the inside before I start working on welding the ends.

Picture from the inside to see how flush they sit...this thing is going to be sealed up nice. Forgive the steel cable running along the bottom...just trying to keep other people honest

Comment

That is a big ol pit. Looks good so far. I noticed the cable and lock on it and looked on your avatar. Your in San Antone and I understand the reason for the lock.

Comment

Take a couple of big dudes to tote that off

Do the bars come out after doors are all fit back up and in place?

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                        Take a couple of big dudes to tote that off

Do the bars come out after doors are all fit back up and in place?
                        That's the plan. Now that the skirts are on, once I get the hinges placed I should be able to take the backers off without it springing any further

Comment

Nice progress! Keep up the good work sir.

Comment

Got the grate mounts and removable grates done. Now that the insides are pretty much finished time to start working on the outside.

Next step will be cut out and tack my lid hinges so I can get the doors mounted

Comment

Looking good! You going to put a loading door with vents on the end of the firebox? Or just access via the grate door?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                                Looking good! You going to put a loading door with vents on the end of the firebox? Or just access via the grate door?
                                Thanks! It'll have a side loading door. I put the grate door on the firebox so that it can double as a grill if I just want to cook on it without having to worry about the big smoke chamber.
                                Last edited by JonBoy; 04-18-2017, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X