RV Air Conditioner Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
    The easiest thing to do if you feel comfortable is to disconnect the compressor at the terminals. You need to be sure you label them so you know where they go when you hook it back up. Then try to start it. If the breaker still trips you know you have a wiring/electrical problem. If everything stays running you know the compressor has some internal issues. You can also check the terminals to ground to see if the compressor is shorted to ground. Please be sure you disconnect all power and feel comfortable before tearing into wiring.
    Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
      Those rv ac units are not that expensive, and easy to install. Did you check actual capacitance on the caps? some multimeters have capacitor test capability. Does it have a start cap and relay?
      By not that expensive, what kinda $ for a 15k? Fidna have to replace mine.
      Thanks

Comment

I am going to say that the compressor is possibly "gone to ground" or it is pulling LRA "Locked Rotor Amps". Somewhere on the unit there should be a FLA and a LRA rating. It sounds like FLA is around 17. You can check LRA with a clamp meter on the wire at the breaker. Start the unit and watch the meter. You should initially see the current that the fan motor draws, then when the compressor kicks in you will see the reading increase.

Comment

Comment

Not the best pic of the label just all I had on the phone

Comment

Originally posted by silencer2011 View Post
              I am going to say that the compressor is possibly "gone to ground" or it is pulling LRA "Locked Rotor Amps". Somewhere on the unit there should be a FLA and a LRA rating. It sounds like FLA is around 17. You can check LRA with a clamp meter on the wire at the breaker. Start the unit and watch the meter. You should initially see the current that the fan motor draws, then when the compressor kicks in you will see the reading increase.

How do you fix this issue if it is gone to ground?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tcooper93 View Post
                How do you fix this issue if it is gone to ground?

New compressor but unless you can DIY probably new unit.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                  New compressor but unless you can DIY probably new unit.

Gotcha

Comment

All that holds it to the roof is 4 bolts. Fairly easy to change.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeater View Post
                      Thanks
                      The last 15k I bought was right at $600.

Comment

I've got a buddy thats a mobile rv repair man that lives in weatherford. Let me know if you want his number

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                          The last 15k I bought was right at $600.
                          Ouch. Called about mine and repair shop told me the Dometic's made around 14-15 had bad copper and should've been recalled (yeah right). Told me they just usually replace em. Mine actually still runs and cools a lil bit so I'm gonna solder a saddle tap on it and check freon and maybe mount it in the front of the trailer(if it starts working that is) and put the new one in the main area.

Comment

Originally posted by Garbuster View Post
                            I've got a buddy thats a mobile rv repair man that lives in weatherford. Let me know if you want his number

The trailer is located in Moran unfortunately

Comment

Make sure the fan is running smoothly. If not oil it. I have seen this happen b4 and trip breakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeater View Post
                                Thanks

Here is just one outfit online. many more if you search.

Comment

Working...
                                X