Guest Mistake Stories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TWarren View Post
    This is among the many reasons I have zero interest in getting on a lease. Too many frivolous rules. If it's a deer and it's legal, shoot it and be happy.

And hunters like you are the reason I hunt on leases. I'd like to be somewhere that gives me a better chance to kill a trophy buck rather than "if it's brown it's down" type hunters. Barely legal deer don't do anything for me.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      And hunters like you are the reason I hunt on leases. I'd like to be somewhere that gives me a better chance to kill a trophy buck rather than "if it's brown it's down" type hunters. Barely legal deer don't do anything for me.
      No doubt. All these little "ranchettes" are making management difficult in some places.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
        No doubt. All these little "ranchettes" are making management difficult in some places.
        That is one of the reasons high fences have become so popular. Right or wrong....
        Last edited by STGS; 12-08-2016, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          Nothing wrong with someone that likes to eat venison shooting a legal deer. But, if there are rules to follow at the place they are hunting then those rules should be followed. It's just plain disrespectful to be a guest or member and deliberately ignore the rules. The same as it's just plain disrespectful to think you have the right to tell a guy hunting on land that only follow state law that he shouldn't shoot any legal deer he sees fit.

Comment

i wonder how many of these stories about "my BIL," or "my cousin," or "this guy I knew" are really people telling on themselves...

Comment

i wonder how many of these stories about "my BIL," or "my cousin," or "this guy I knew" are really people telling on themselves...
              Feeling guilty?

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
                Feeling guilty?
                haha, maybe there is a reason i havent contributed...

Comment

Originally posted by Shurshot View Post
                  Taking my father in law this weekend so I'll probably have one after this weekend...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  lmao

Comment

I'll tell one on myself...

It's not a guest mistake, but my mistake. This year, the weekend after Thanksgiving. Took my GF to the lease and the bucks were starting to run a little bit. I have what's called a half spot which means I can kill one 8 point or better and one cull buck or doe.

On Saturday the GF and I spotted what we thought was a 3.5 year old 11 point. We were gonna let him ride out the year. However, the GF and I decided we may have underestimated his age a little and decided to try and take him. Sunday morning I set her up in a blind where we had last seen the buck headed for. i set up in the blind where we had seen the buck coming from. I knew I would be able to hear her if she shot and then I would go down and help her. I've had guests in that blind before and have easily heard them shoot.

About 9:30 I leave my stand and since I had not heard the GF shoot I walked up to my UTV, grabbed my rattling horns and decided to rattle a little. I walked up the hill a little and over the ranch road to a spot that over looks a large saddle before dropping off into the canyon. I bet I didn't tickle those horns together for more than 5 seconds when I see a good buck RUNNING at me. It was the 11 point. He'd walk off and I'd tickle the horns a little and he'd come back. Finally, I decided to shoot and dropped him at 40 yards. I tagged him real quick and went to get the GF. I drive up to her blind and about 50 yards from the blind I see her rifle leaning up against a mesquite and her stocking cap turned inside out to the blaze orange side, hanging from a branch. I thought she had just walked out into the brush for a potty break. I got out of the UTV and she stands up and says, "Are you gonna help me drag this thing or not?" I walked over to her and she had knocked down a 4.5 year old 18" 8 point. She was so excited and I was excited for her as well. But, I got a sick feeling in my stomach cuz I never did hear her shoot. She says she shot around 830 AM.

I told her how proud I was for her, but we had a problem. Actually, I had a problem, not her.

So now, I have broken the lease rules. We took both deer back to camp and the others were there and I told them I screwed up. No one was really butt hurt over it, but I gotta pay a fine. One pallet of corn is my restitution.

My lesson learned is next time I take a guest I'm going to make sure they tag out before I do.
                    Last edited by SabreKiller; 12-08-2016, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                      It's not a guest mistake, but my mistake. This year, the weekend after Thanksgiving. Took my GF to the lease and the bucks were starting to run a little bit. I have what's called a half spot which means I can kill one 8 point or better and one cull buck or doe.

On Saturday the GF and I spotted what we thought was a 3.5 year old 11 point. We were gonna let him ride out the year. However, the GF and I decided we may have underestimated his age a little and decided to try and take him. Sunday morning I set her up in a blind where we had last seen the buck headed for. i set up in the blind where we had seen the buck coming from. I knew I would be able to hear her if she shot and then I would go down and help her. I've had guests in that blind before and have easily heard them shoot.

About 9:30 I leave my stand and since I had not heard the GF shoot I walked up to my UTV, grabbed my rattling horns and decided to rattle a little. I walked up the hill a little and over the ranch road to a spot that over looks a large saddle before dropping off into the canyon. I bet I didn't tickle those horns together for more than 5 seconds when I see a good buck RUNNING at me. It was the 11 point. He'd walk off and I'd tickle the horns a little and he'd come back. Finally, I decided to shoot and dropped him at 40 yards. I tagged him real quick and went to get the GF. I drive up to her blind and about 50 yards from the blind I see her rifle leaning up against a mesquite and her stocking cap turned inside out to the blaze orange side, hanging from a branch. I thought she had just walked out into the brush for a potty break. I got out of the UTV and she stands up and says, "Are you gonna help me drag this thing or not?" I walked over to her and she had knocked down a 4.5 year old 18" 8 point. She was so excited and I was excited for her as well. But, I got a sick feeling in my stomach cuz I never did hear her shoot. She says she shot around 830 AM.

I told her how proud I was for her, but we had a problem. Actually, I had a problem, not her.

So now, I have broken the lease rules. We took both deer back to camp and the others were there and I told them I screwed up. No one was really butt hurt over it, but I gotta pay a fine. One pallet of corn is my restitution.

My lesson learned is next time I take a guest I'm going to make sure they tag out before I do.

A pallet of corn is a very small price to pay. Congrats on yalls deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We traded an axis spike and doe hunt for some construction work on our low fence hill country place. We told him there were all kinds of free roaming exotics around but he could only shoot an axis spike and axis doe. He assured us he was very well educated in exotics. Heard him shoot a couple of times and got a text that he had two axis down. Went to pick him up and they were both spotted fallow spikes!

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post

Your mistake is a little more understandable than 98% of the others in the thread. If i was on your lease, I don't believe I'd be too upset.

Comment

Originally posted by Tryton View Post
                            This thread should have some good stories. I went on a management hunt for cull bucks earlier this year to shoot 4.5 year or older 8 points or less. First afternoon I have a really nice 8 point (16 inch spread) come out that was at least 4.5 years old but played it on the safe side and did not take him. We found him on the trail camera and I was given the green light. Took a couple hunts but I got another shot at him and took him. I just can't see screwing up an invitation like that to shoot something you know you're not supposed to.
                            Exactly, I have done this many times if I am invited to hunt on someone's property. Either check the cams and get approval or bring a video camera and video the deer and send still shots to the person who has put the guidelines in place. Last thing I want to do is screw up for someone who has gone out of their way to give me a great opportunity.

Comment

required reading

I have a friend that is going to come out to my place and hunt next weekend...I think I'll make this post required reading before I tell him the expectations for the hunt.

Comment

These are great

Comment

Working...
                                X