Natural Gas conversion from Propane...Jambalaya Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Natural Gas conversion from Propane...Jambalaya Setup

Hey guys, can you offer some assistance for my Nat Gas quest.

I bought a nice 5 gallon jambalaya pot and a stand with a low pressure 6" burner. The set up is propane, but I would like to switch over to Natural Gas(NG) since I have an outlet on my house. I've looked locally and online and can't find what I need, or even a starting point.

What I need is:
    1. a connector to the burner with the correct NG orifice.
    2. hose / connections to the orifice.
    3. an ADJUSTABLE regulator (prefer low pressure).
    4. hose / connections to the regulator.
    5. hose / connection to the house outlet approximately 5/8" female threaded(may be 1/2").

Thanks in advance,

Have you tried your gas company?

Home Depot?
    Get free shipping on qualified Conversion Kits products or Buy Online Pick Up in Store today in the Outdoors Department.
    Last edited by Burnadell; 02-25-2018, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Walmart?

Comment

Your local natural gas company can and will help. I have never had luck with Lowe's or Home Depot for conversions, knowledge or parts in stock. Another option would be a local Ace Hardware, around me the sell high end grill products and know their stuff including conversions.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks guys.

I've been to all of the mentioned stores in my area, but they don't have the orifices or the regulator I need. The regulators they have are for bottle hookups. I need a hose on both sides of an adjustable regulator.

Comment

You got a high pressure or low pressure burner? If it is a high pressure it won't work off of the gas in your house because it is only 6 oz. Never mind I reread.
            You can drill out the orifice one step at a time until you get a blue flame, you will probably have to adjust the air down some.
            Last edited by mrc; 02-25-2018, 04:54 PM.

Comment

You need an orifice bit set, and a chart telling you what size to drill to. Orifice set has 30 or so bits from a pin head size to a pencil lead size. Or see if there is a propane outfit in town that has that capability.

match up your orifice with a drill size, see what the equivalent is for nat gas.
              Last edited by double bogey; 02-25-2018, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Hey MRC, I saw a sign at the hardware store...Nat Gas Orifice 3/32 and Propane Orifice 3/64. So, that might be the drill bit size to get.

Thanks for the Chart Double Bogey.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
                  Hey MRC, I saw a sign at the hardware store...Nat Gas Orifice 3/32 and Propane Orifice 3/64. So, that might be the drill bit size to get.

Thanks for the Chart Double Bogey.
                  Need to know the BTU's of your burner, then use the chart as a cross reference. Probably start at a #52 and try it then work your way up. I'll see what I have at the office tomorrow and can probably tell you what size you need. I may be able to order you what you need and ship it to you, my suppliers don't deal in Nat. gas much. You also won't need an adjustment. regulator because 6oz. is all you will get for pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                    Need to know the BTU's of your burner, then use the chart as a cross reference. Probably start at a #52 and try it then work your way up. I'll see what I have at the office tomorrow and can probably tell you what size you need. I may be able to order you what you need and ship it to you, my suppliers don't deal in Nat. gas much. You also won't need an adjustment. regulator because 6oz. is all you will get for pressure.
                    ---
                    Had to do a little looking around for the BTU's, it's 35,000. But I do have a need for an adjustable regulator. I will be cooking jambalaya, so in this process, you add all of your ingredients and bring it to a boil for 5 minutes, then simmer for 20 minutes.

Many Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X