What’s it worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s it worth?

A buddy of mine owes me a pretty substantial chunk of change ($1800) and he has asked if I would take this pistol instead. He claims it should be worth $2000 but I have my doubts as I’ve seen the values on gunbroker go all over the place. Can Anyone with more knowledge than me tell me what it’s worth? And please don’t say it’s worth what someone would pay. Lol. It’s a nickel engraved colt mk iv 1911 70 series. It seems like a very nice pistol. Caliber is .45 acp. Here are some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tell him to sell it and pay you

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      Tell him to sell it and pay you

Thought about that. But if the gun is worth as much as he says it is, I’ll take the gun, stick it in the safe, and let the value go up.

Comment

Here is 2 cents worth. If you have a gun your never planning on shooting then in my opinion its worthless. Thats just me, i dont see the point of having a gun not to use it.

The other part, take the gun to a gun smith and have them give you a value. Your correct, gunbroker is all over on the price of them. Best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by forced-2-work View Post
          Here is 2 cents worth. If you have a gun your never planning on shooting then in my opinion its worthless. Thats just me, i dont see the point of having a gun not to use it.

The other part, take the gun to a gun smith and have them give you a value. Your correct, gunbroker is all over on the price of them. Best of luck

I have guns that I buy to shoot and I have guns I buy as “investments” per say.

Comment

I don’t know but if you don’t need the cash, that sure is a purdy pony!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FireNguns View Post
              I don’t know but if you don’t need the cash, that sure is a purdy pony!!!

Yessir it is. I don’t really NEED the cash, but with Africa coming up in May it couldn’t hurt lol.

Comment

If that is indeed an all original factory engraved direct from Colt, take the gun...you would need to get a letter from Colt to confirm or even better if it had the box to help confirm the skew #.

Does he have any other info on it??

I personally don't feel it is factory as they normally would not engrave through the COLT GOVERNMENT lettering like it appears...look closely, many engravers leave their trade mark / initials. That can sometimes add value from top shelf guys.

~~~~~~~

LOL...never realized I had so many worthless firearms.

Comment

I don’t believe that is factory engraving it is usually done on polished surfaces . An inquiry to Colt will tell all you need to know. If that is not factory engraving from colt, it not worth near as much.

I might add that if you been waiting on him to pay you back and he offers this, then take it and tell him Adios.

Comment

My opinion is that, that is not factory Colt engraving. I'm by far not an expert, however, I do know a lot about 1911's. Maybe it is just the pictures, but, the engraving to me looks pretty sloppy in certain areas and lacking depth. For instance, the engraving going over the "Colt Government Model" That alone is what makes me think that it is an amatuer engraving job. I would not pay $2000.00 for that gun and I don't think it would appraise for that either. Its difficult just looking at a couple pictures but, me, I wouldn't do it.

Comment

Need better pics of the engraving around the stamping to get a really good idea on factory or not.

Some parts look like the engraving was done first and then stamped but kinda hard to see

Comment

I personally would pass, solely on not wanting to deal with a zeta or Mexican mafia dude to find someone who would buy it

Comment

If you have any hope the you can receive cash...hold out.....if there is no hope,take the gun . What is the possibility of gun + cash...I. My opinion as a long time gun trader,the pistol is not factory engraved,but if virtually unfired,should be worth $1000-$1200.

Comment

So if you are taking as 'investment', will it appreciate more than inflation or stock market?

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                              I personally would pass, solely on not wanting to deal with a zeta or Mexican mafia dude to find someone who would buy it
                              Lol I love it. I’d give 1200 in a heart beat.

Comment

Working...
                              X