Which cartridge for elk hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cricman View Post
    .270 with a premium 150+ grain bullet; plenty of kinetic energy and the longer heavier bullets will give you a better BC. There is no replacement for good shot placement!

cricman
    But

There’s no replacement for displacement

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
      I grew up here in elk country. I would be willing to bet that more elk have been harvested by the 270 and 30-06 than any of the other calibers put together. You could probably throw in the 7mm in there as well. I have shot a number of elk in my earlier years with my 270 and a 130 grain bullet.
      It was not until the growth in caliber choices that people started using other calibers available today. My only point is that the old school "stand by" big game calibers I mentioned above are plenty for elk.
      How many of those elk and mule deer took more than one shot?

Comment

Originally posted by J.B. View Post
        you are missing a key factor here......provide the weight of each rifle option to this equation.
        Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
        I almost added that All of them are in the 7-8lb range - all okay, none stand out.
        Also I'm not looking to make extremely long shots - in my experience 400 yds is a long darn way to place that kind burden.

Comment

It's just an elk, all three will be ok. Just take your time on the shot and don't rush. Most guys freak out when they see elk, and muff it up (assuming things don't die from said bullet)

I'm more concerned with physical weight then the caliber, for how we hunt.

On a side note, where are you guys elk hunting were there's an option for a tracking dog.....

Comment

Originally posted by tradslam View Post
            It's just an elk, all three will be ok. Just take your time on the shot and don't rush. Most guys freak out when they see elk, and muff it up (assuming things don't die from said bullet)

I'm more concerned with physical weight then the caliber, for how we hunt.

On a side note, where are you guys elk hunting were there's an option for a tracking dog.....
            My comment was related to the bad shots and wounded animals in general. Not just elk. Idk anywhere that lets you use them. Might be somewhere but idk.

Comment

Depending on the twist rate the 7 Roy is going to have the biggest thump.

The 6.5-284 is plenty of gun with the right Bullet choice. I’d look at bullets like the Accubond or something similar.

The 6.5 has a high SD so penetration is good on them.

The mild 6.5x55 Swede has been killing big game for a long time for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                My comment was related to the bad shots and wounded animals in general. Not just elk. Idk anywhere that lets you use them. Might be somewhere but idk.

And ironically Roy Hines says the calls he gets most are to track deer shot with a 7mag.

Comment

All those will work for elk, just use a good bullet and put it in the boiler room then get ready for the work cause it starts when the elk is down. Elk are not bullet proof, put a good bullet where it belongs and an elk will expire pretty quickly. Put that first bullet elsewhere and I hope you put some more lead in it quickly or it will be a long tracking job.

The few elk I have shot were with 257 Wby, 6.5-284, 7mm STW, 300 Wby and 350 Remington Mag. All but one were one shot kills, the one that wasn't would have been but was able to put another in him while he was still in the open so I did.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    How many of those elk and mule deer took more than one shot?
                    I can only answer for myself and I can tell you I have only needed one. But I also shot those elk at 350 yards or less.
                    I would also be willing to bet there are more elk wounded today because of guys believing they can shoot "long range" but yet never practice enough to be able to effectively do so. I see it every season up here.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                      I can only answer for myself and I can tell you I have only needed one. But I also shot those elk at 350 yards or less.
                      I would also be willing to bet there are more elk wounded today because of guys believing they can shoot "long range" but yet never practice enough to be able to effectively do so. I see it every season up here.
                      I agree with that 100%. Folks thinking they can shoot 1000 yards just by buying a gunwerks rifle package or something.

I’ve had to hit big rutting mule deer a couple times. And know a lot of folks who have needed 2-3 good shots on elk. I just believe in packing the biggest gun you can accurately shoot and carry. Dead is dead. All personal opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                        And ironically Roy Hines says the calls he gets most are to track deer shot with a 7mag.

That’s because of the deer denisity of a whitetail. 7 mag is too much for whitetail. Perfect for elk though.

Comment

Originally posted by 220swift View Post
                          That’s because of the deer denisity of a whitetail. 7 mag is too much for whitetail. Perfect for elk though.

I don’t buy into that theory at all. There is no such thing as overkill. Using the wrong bullet for the application or being scared of the recoil is the more likely reasons.

Comment

I'm no scientist, but I actually heard it straight from Roy Hindes Sr before he passed away.

7 mag and 300 win mag were the calibers that wounded the most deer they were called for. Small hole in and small hole out. (He actually threw in 243 as well, but I 'll get lynched over that one.)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              I don’t buy into that theory at all. There is no such thing as overkill. Using the wrong bullet for the application or being scared of the recoil is the more likely reasons.

People using light bullets in a magnum and shooting behind the shoulder on a light animal. And recoil sensitive. I’d put money that’s the main reasons lol

Comment

If a nice bull walks out and poses broadside at 100 yds, most any caliber from .243 up with a decent bullet will get the job done. But.. late on the fifth day of a $6000 5 day elk hunt, a good bull walks out and stops quartering away from me at 300 yards, just steps away from the dark timber. I want a heavy controlled expansion bullet from a big magnum that will penetrate and break the off shoulder. That would be either my .300 Win Mag with a 200 grain bullet, or my .338 with a 250 grain bullet. And yes, I can handle the big magnums, my deer rifle has been a .300 Win Mag since 1977.
                                Last edited by Phillip Fields; 03-20-2018, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X