Travel Trailer AC Trpubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel Trailer AC Trpubleshooting

I bought an older trailer to stay in at the deer lease, the AC works great with the exception of a vibration. I took it apart and found that the fan blade on the roof had been partially chewed by a rat, making it unbalanced. I ordered a new one online, as well as the shroud to replace the old one which was pretty beat up and dry rotted. Last night I replace the fan blade, then went inside and turn on the unit. Everything worked fine, the vibration was gone, compressor kicked on and everything worked fine for five minutes. I went back up on the roof and put on the new shroud, but when I went back inside the compressor would no longer kick on. I remove the shroud and made sure I had knocked any wiring the loose, and everything looks to be as it should be.

I found a cover on top of the compressor and removed it, some of the wiring looks weathered but still functional. I cleaned out some dirt dauber nest, and noticed that this apparatus on the right is loose from the compressor. It looks as though it's supposed to be that way, but I wanted to confirm.

Does anyone see anything wrong there?

I've done some more research online cents, and the other most likely culprit seems to be a start/run capacitor, so I have located one of these locally and will pick it up today and replace it tonight.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's an overload. That wire going to the common terminal doesn't look too good. Replace the capacitor you are getting and see if it runs. Use an ohmmeter to check continuity across the overload if it doesn't, find an overload. Bad cap can cause the OL to trip.

Sorry for the scrambled message, brain foggy this morning.

Comment

All I know about RV a/c is their a PITA and easier to replace than work on.

Comment

There’s an expert on here. May be Carey Birdwell maybe?

Comment

Winder unit !

Comment

Overload needs to be checked and I would go ahead and replace the wire to the compressor

When you let the unit run for a while after replacing the blade was the old shroud removed? If so, that could have caused it to go off on high head

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

BFH!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                When you let the unit run for a while after replacing the blade was the old shroud removed? If so, that could have caused it to go off on high head

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, for a minute, maybe 2. It was right at dark last night, so around 65 degrees.

Comment

not sure what that is but might be the o/l protection, you might also consider getting a hard start capacitor kit for it to make it easier to start up... As MAyhem stated its easier to replace the entire unit as no one will touch a freon leak in them.

Comment

Put your capacitor on, and if it runs, then look at replacing the overload. The wire is soldered on, so replace the ol, you will get a new wire with it. make sure all covers that affect airflow over the condenser coil are in place. The bad wire is indicative of high current which causes heat, and damages wire. The capacitor can cause high current.

And if worse comes to worse, get online and buy a replacement unit, they aren't that expensive. Easy to install, bolts underneath hold it in place.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                      Put your capacitor on, and if it runs, then look at replacing the overload. The wire is soldered on, so replace the ol, you will get a new wire with it. make sure all covers that affect airflow over the condenser coil are in place. The bad wire is indicative of high current which causes heat, and damages wire. The capacitor can cause high current.

And if worse comes to worse, get online and buy a replacement unit, they aren't that expensive. Easy to install, bolts underneath hold it in place.

Thank you sir, that will be the plan this evening. I've replaced a few units before, but as well as this one worked up until this point, I just feel like it could be a simple fix.

I've got it plugged into a 20amp circuit right now too, so I'm going to look at that and the plug/adapter too.

I'll go as far as the capacitor and overload, then it's a new unit.

Thanks again.

Comment

Make sure there are no bad connections anywhere. Also shine a flashlight through the condenser coil to make sure it isn't plugged.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                          Make sure there are no bad connections anywhere. Also shine a flashlight through the condenser coil to make sure it isn't plugged.
                          Hail has knocked some fins over, I'll try to comb that too, thanks.

Comment

PM Replied

Comment

Working...
                            X