No announcement yet.

Bad wheel bearing on trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the threads on the axle are screwed I’m on my way to San Angelo with the axle in the back my truck we took it off the trailer to try to find a replacement in the morning or maybe worst-case and Scenario find a new spindle and find a machine shop to weld it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bh_liberty View Post
      So the threads on the axle are screwed I’m on my way to San Angelo with the axle in the back my truck we took it off the trailer to try to find a replacement in the morning or maybe worst-case and Scenario find a new spindle and find a machine shop to weld it on.

That sucks! I was afraid of that.

I’ve had this happen on my Semi Trailer with 43,000 lbs of grape juice on it. I caught it before it completely failed on me. I called a shop to come chain me up so I can get there. In that state it was illegal. I limped it the 12 miles @ 15 mph. As I exited the freeway I felt it fail.
      They wanted to call the Axle Surgeon. Only issue was gouges in the oil valley.
      We elected to replace bearings and races. Had to show them how [emoji35]. They still charged me full price. 2X

When we get a Service Call for a Semi Trailer we remove tires and hub if possible. Chain it up and limp it to the Shop.
      If possible we cut off the Axle Nut and check the threads. If they aren’t too bad we next check the bearing surfaces. If they aren’t gouged or rain bowed we can try and save it.

If it’s to far gone we call the Axle Surgeon. They’ll come cut the bad spindle off and weld a new one on. Than we replace bearings and races.

On the smaller axles we recommend a new Axle.

Comment

I always carry a extra hub with new packed bearings ready to go on. Won't help with the bad threads though. Can they be straightened up with a tap?

Comment

I should say I learned about the extra hub deal after learning it the hard way also.

Comment

Chain it up oilfield style

Comment

dont think the threads can be saved. It’s time for a drink and a bite to eat now and we will worry about this problem tomorrow.

Comment

I’m about to change the bearing/race on my boat trailer so this doesn’t happen to me. I have noticed the Curb side tire beginning to wear unevenly, jacked it up and it’s got a slight wobble to it. I will replace all of them so I’m not stuck on the side of the road instead of being on the lake!

Comment

Originally posted by Wakehunter View Post
                  I’m about to change the bearing/race on my boat trailer so this doesn’t happen to me. I have noticed the Curb side tire beginning to wear unevenly, jacked it up and it’s got a slight wobble to it. I will replace all of them so I’m not stuck on the side of the road instead of being on the lake!

I had all 4 of mine replaced 2 years ago. I travel for a living so the trailer is parked for 4 months at a time. And I grease them before every road trip. Sometime you can do everything right and still get bit

Comment

Extra hub and tools with me. Of course that being said replaced it once and then had two tires go flat. (Only had one spare)

Comment

Buy a prepacked hub assembly from Rockwell American. Keep it along with a grinder, hammer, and big channel locks in your trailer. When this happens just grind the spindle smooth so the bearing will slide on. Then grind the end of spindle to a taper so you can get the nut to grab decent threads. The threads won’t be perfect but you are only trying to get it on once.

Comment

Bad wheel bearing on trailer

Learned that lesson the hard way! Left the boat trailer and Drove around trying to find parts. I Was unsuccessful, and the tow company wanted like $300 to tow it 10 miles. I took my chances and left it sitting overnight in the parking lot of a church in downtown port Arthur. Drove back the next day when I got off work and the music minister helped me put a new bearing and race on it to get it home. I believe God was trying teach me a lesson about my priorities, but that’s another story!

Word of advice, go ahead and spend the money to get it fixed right now. I tried to smooth out the spindle and put new bearings races and seals on...only to have it prematurely fail again months down the road. Never would hold a seal and leaked grease. I Finally broke down and bought a new axle and all has been well. I plan to buy another hub and keep it in the truck when I tow the boat. Sorry about your luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                          Extra hub and tools with me. Of course that being said replaced it once and then had two tires go flat. (Only had one spare)

Believe it or not I carry 2 spares for that trailer. Been in that bind before too. Dang trailer is heavy

Comment

Originally posted by Saddlehorse View Post
                            Make sure to replace with buddy bearing
                            Easy to maintain
                            The big problem with bearing buddies is people tend to put WAY too much grease in them and it pushes out the seal on the back side.

I keep extra bearings already greased in a baggie with our race trailers.

Comment

I carry a harbor freight laser temp gun. I have too many different trailers and two truck, so to keep extra bearings isn't logical for me. REligiously when I stop, I use the temp gun to take the temps of the hubs immediately. If one is is spiked, I will go get it fixed right then and there. I have been stuck on the road countless times.

The first thing I do when I buy a trailer is check, clean, grease the bearings and put new seals. Then I go straight to replace all four tires with good trailer tires.

Comment

This trailer has grease able axles. No need for buddy bearings.

Comment

Working...
                                X