Rocksprings land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocksprings land

Any one hunt it I want to buy land and looking in this area due to the population of Axis. I know the main issue is water I will haul it in i guess. What are some other things to be thinking about. For a shelter i will build two sheds from lowes one for sleeping and dressing couch. And the other will be the cook/shower house. Alaska gave me the idea as Valdez has many of them converted to this. Thanks for any info.

Don't plan on driving T posts. It ain't called Rocksprings for no reason.

Comment

make sense, thats a good point.

Comment

Rocksprings land

Good luck on your search. I could be wrong, but I think Junction/Sonora area has lots of Axis too. My son and I came through that area (Rocksprings) last time we were at deer camp on our way home to San Antonio. I like browsing the real estate ads in that area but it was the first time I ever drove through there.
        Last edited by Kdog; 12-16-2017, 01:58 PM.

Comment

My brother in law bought 150 acres south of Rocksprings by the airport. He drilled a well and built a camp house. Had a lot of good times but the hunting was just ok.

Comment

Hunting pressure can be high with the amount of subdivision out there. If I were going to look at land to hunt Axis I would look for a place around Kerrville, Menard or Brady. Less chance of Anthrax wiping out deer herds when it hits again. Menard can still get it but not as quite as bad as Rocksprings down to Carta Valley then south to Bracketville areas.

Comment

I lease 100 acres off 41 at 230. I know a few guys on here hunt in that area. We haven't seen a deer, an axis, or a hog since August. I have a few Whitetail does & a wandering Axis show up on camera but haven't seen a live animal since August. We had a herd of about 15-20 Axis on the place early in the year. The Axis does moved on, and the Axis Buck followed soon after that. We have ran feeders year round with corn, protein, and ran Alfalfa feeders all year and nothing has helped. One morning I was glassing the area with my binoculars, and I counted close to 30 stands & feeders in the area surrounding our place. I know this doesn't apply to all of Rocksprings area, but I would really make sure if I was buying a hunting property, I would check the area out really well.

I did manage to shoot one small Axis Buck in May. The lease is up on January 31th, and I can't wait to get my stuff off of it.

Comment

I love the area but I can agree with what was stated above. There has been a lot of blinds/stands pop up in the last few years. I’ve hunted off 41 for almost 28 years and it has really blown up lately. We do have all kinds of animals walk through though... deer,elk,sika,hogs, black buck you name it. Water is always an issue and who is around you. Our neighbors to the right and left are great people with good management thinking. The people behind our property are another story, but they can do with their land what they want. Also check what your taxes what would be. Ours keep going up and we get hit with 2 different school taxes. We are trying to get ag but have been denied. Have to try again I guess lol. Good luck with the search.

Comment

Originally posted by TeXXaN View Post
                  Any one hunt it I want to buy land and looking in this area due to the population of Axis. I know the main issue is water I will haul it in i guess. What are some other things to be thinking about. For a shelter i will build two sheds from lowes one for sleeping and dressing couch. And the other will be the cook/shower house. Alaska gave me the idea as Valdez has many of them converted to this. Thanks for any info.
                  I bought two sheds from Home Depot. One is for living, it’s 12x24. The other is for the 4 wheeler and tools. The sleeping shed has a loft, highly recommend for the extra space.

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                    I lease 100 acres off 41 at 230. I know a few guys on here hunt in that area. We haven't seen a deer, an axis, or a hog since August. I have a few Whitetail does & a wandering Axis show up on camera but haven't seen a live animal since August. We had a herd of about 15-20 Axis on the place early in the year. The Axis does moved on, and the Axis Buck followed soon after that. We have ran feeders year round with corn, protein, and ran Alfalfa feeders all year and nothing has helped. One morning I was glassing the area with my binoculars, and I counted close to 30 stands & feeders in the area surrounding our place. I know this doesn't apply to all of Rocksprings area, but I would really make sure if I was buying a hunting property, I would check the area out really well.

I did manage to shoot one small Axis Buck in May. The lease is up on January 31th, and I can't wait to get my stuff off of it.
                    You are hunting Diamond Ranch. I had a awesome cabin with beautiful views & 50 acres. I had more deer than that; but hunting pressure was everywhere & growing. I now hunt on a lease off 335 right pass 230. We are full of WT & exotics; and only 3-4 miles away as the crow flies from where you are. But now we have 8 hunters on 4000 acres. where before my neighbors hunted 4 guys on 50 acres......

Comment

Originally posted by Captain39 View Post
                      You are hunting Diamond Ranch. I had a awesome cabin with beautiful views & 50 acres. I had more deer than that; but hunting pressure was everywhere & growing. I now hunt on a lease off 335 right pass 230. We are full of WT & exotics; and only 3-4 miles away as the crow flies from where you are. But now we have 8 hunters on 4000 acres. where before my neighbors hunted 4 guys on 50 acres......
                      I say that all the time. I can drive less than 5 miles down 41 and see tons of whitetail & exotics. It just confirms to me that my area has been shot out or overly pressured. I would love to find a big lease over that way, but right now, Rocksprings has left a bad taste in my mouth. So much so, I'm truly considering not leasing next year and do a few day hunts & fish a lot more

Comment

Working...
                      X