Electrician question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrician question

Is there a switch out there that will hold up to 240v 50amp circuits? Trying to wire a plasma cutter to the switch so I don't have to turn it off from the back of the machine.

yes look up manual motor switches

Comment

You could use a disconnect.

Or get fancy and wire in a contactor with a low voltage switch.
      Last edited by Big H; 12-01-2018, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big H View Post
        You could use a disconnect.

Or get fancy and wire in a contactor with a low voltage switch.
        Either one of these should work for you. Check with your local electrical warehouse and "sometimes" they can help you out. The contactor would be my choice if you were breaking power under a load but if not then a simple two pole, 50/60A disconnect would work.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
          yes look up manual motor switches
          Manual motor switches typically do not go up to this amperage.

A disconnect switch or circuit breaker could be used as long as the on/off function is not under load.

Look at your local hardware supply at the A/C disconnects for HVAC units.

Comment

Some of the ac disconnects are pull out. not what you want. you need one that looks like a breaker, but is just a switch. Harder to find, but they do make them.

Here you go

Last edited by double bogey; 12-02-2018, 11:13 AM.

Comment

I would go with a 60 amp rated non-fused safety switch (disconnect). Simple and reliable.

Comment

answers are kind of what I was afraid of. Was looking for more of a normal, light style switch. Any way to wire in a relay on a low amperage switch?

Comment

This is what you're after:

But honestly, I would just use a disconnect.

Comment

Just what I'm looking for. What's the benefit of a disconnect over this?

Comment

Or a contactor.

If you’re going to be turning it on and off regularly, either get a contactor or a heavy duty disconnect switch.

Disconnect will be less expensive, contactor make a very satisfying “clunk” when cycled tho.

Notice, I did not recommend a general duty, or an AC disconnect in there? They are not up to the task of being cycled as often.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                        Just what I'm looking for. What's the benefit of a disconnect over this?
                        Disconnect will be cheaper usually. Probably be a bit more bulky though. Also have the option of fusing with s disconnect, but you most likely already have that covered.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X