Who bow hunts out of a box blind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Treeshark View Post
    Are they a good bit better for scent control vs a tree stand? Can you hunt them effectively with a marginal or changing wind? I'm considering my options for an area with swirling winds down in the bottom.

If you build a plywood blind the wind is much less of a factor.

Comment

Built myself. All steel and spray foamed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We have a few shooting houses on fields and roads, set up for gun hunting. They’re really comfortable, but it’s so frustrating to bow hunt out of a set up like that (for me).

You’re totally dependent on a deer ambling by your shooting window/s when you’re in a box. How do you know where your shot is going to be? What if he comes in behind you? You’re SOL.

I’d have to have one that I could shoot out of in all directions. I’d also hesitate to work on something so nice and put it in a place where I might not get consistent shots in bow range.

Comment

Love them in colder weather. They’re horrible during October sits. An airtight hot box. Love not worrying about snakes/etc crawling in on me too.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
            Built myself. All steel and spray foamed.

Looking good Jr!

Comment

Who bow hunts out of a box blind?

We do....I’m done with tree stands

I would buy any of these again and will add a few this year.

All of ours are insulated and a small heater will run you out of of there in a hurry.

Brady stands -Texas wildlife supply
              There are 3 of these.
              Great stands with angled fronts and bow windows - 4 and 6’ towers.

Big chingon blind 6 foot tower

Ranch king - portable on a trailer with bow windows

Stump blind - nature blind on the ground

Plus we have a few turtle type blinds.

We have some Dillon type rifle blinds that came with the ranch that aren’t suitable for bow hunting, and have hunted out of almost every brand out there.

Most have too many windows, but we hang black out cloth in all but a couple of windows.

Last edited by Atfulldraw; 01-23-2019, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Keep on keeping on sir. I hope that I can still climb when I'm 72

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Box blinds is all I bow hunt out of. I have camera mounts, heaters and office chairs in them.

My Pot Belly bow blind and my Krivo blind with custom windows.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9824.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	24568003

Name:	IMG_0145.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	24568004

Name:	IMG_9558.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	24568005

Comment

Atfulldraw

What do the fronts of these look like

Brady stands -Texas wildlife supply
                    There are 3 of these.
                    Great stands with angled fronts and bow windows - 4 and 6’ towers.

Comment

I couldn’t tell you the last time I hunted out of a tree or tripod. All I hunt is box of popups, and prefer the box anyday. Last longer, and more room and having a heater and stretching out is nice. We typically build ours 6’+ wide so there’s plenty of room to draw and say back away from the windows; Only downside is summer pig hunts and early season sucks

Comment

Originally posted by Bish View Post
                        I'm there with you Sir, I built me some platforms for my ground blinds and they worked great this year, 6x6x2.

God Bless

Bish
                        We did a bunch of these but made them 8x8 and elevated about 3 ft. Work great!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

We also have a few sunken pit blinds made of cmu block, poured concrete floor, with a wood frame and hardi too above ground. Works great with the kids and family.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Me, 2 Maverick Six Shooters, one Krivoman and one Tank End Taj Mahal! 99% mesquites on our place so no place for tree stands or tripods to speak of.

Comment

I’ve bowhunted most all my life, starting out in the trees as most of us probably did.

I had hunted ground blinds some, but only after hunting Africa and west Texas extensively over the past few years did I fully enjoy the benefits of a good ground hide. Many of my best hunts & trophies have come while on ground level with my quarry, and it’s extremely effective and rewarding.

Comment

I love hunting in an "open-air" platform or tripod, but concealment (especially late in the year) in a Mesquite-tree-only area is a challenge. I have a few pop-ups but I despise hunting on the ground. I may build a couple of short elevated bases for them and see how that goes before I fully commit to a box.

Comment

Working...
                                X