Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-26-2017, 08:58 PM   #1
Possum9
Four Point

Hunt In: Anderson county
Default Question about fishing line

So I fish fresh water mostly but also fish saltwater some with mono. Today I went bass fishing and had my line broke on several occasions. All of my reels were spooled recently so the line is good. I want to switch to braided line and my question is what is the best all around braided line for fresh and saltwater? Any of you saltwater guys have any advice.
Possum9 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2017, 09:07 PM   #2
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Webb

I don't fish fresh water much, but wind tamer cast very smoothly on bait casters. I like power pro for my spinning gear.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2017, 09:31 PM   #3
Possum9
Four Point

When you say wind tamer isn't that made by Fins?
Old 03-26-2017, 09:32 PM   #4
Walker
Ten Point

Power pro or Basspros brand.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2017, 09:47 PM   #5
Efren
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Stay away from braided line. I tried it once and the line takes a lot of wear and tear rubbing up against many things making it very frail. And you have to change it out every year. I lost a ton of fish with it and I will never go back. Stick with mono. Maybe you just got a bad spool. Dump it all and get a new one
Efren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2017, 09:49 PM   #6
catslayer
Pope & Young

Gama, or samari braid...used to use power pro. Quality isnt what it was and i cant stand seagars braid. For all around rod salt and fresh. 40 lb Gama tourqe will be awesome. Cast better than 50 or 65

If you samuri... get the size over 50... they have weird sizes. But the stuff is SUPER limo so its hard to handle somtimes at 40 lb

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
catslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2017, 09:54 PM   #7
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke

I've got a bad spool of line before so consider that.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2017, 09:55 PM   #8
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Kinney Counties

I've been throwing Power Pro the last 10 years or so. I've never had any issues. It's not as abrasion resistant, but if you run a fluoro leader you don't have to worry about it. I don't worry about it at all, and go straight braid. The sensitivity and strength vs. mono is worth it. You also don't have to change it out every year. I fish weekly in salt water and don't change it out yearly.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2017, 09:58 PM   #9
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

I've been fishing with spiderwire for many, many years, fresh and salt. I've used it so much it would bet faded out and turn from the dark green to a washed out light color. Just spooled it off the reel then back on from the opposite end where it was still the dark green. It's the toughest line I've ever used bar none.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2017, 09:59 PM   #10
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Open to Offers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efren View Post
Stay away from braided line. I tried it once and the line takes a lot of wear and tear rubbing up against many things making it very frail. And you have to change it out every year. I lost a ton of fish with it and I will never go back. Stick with mono. Maybe you just got a bad spool. Dump it all and get a new one
No offence, but don't take advice from a guy that complains about having to change his fishing line once a year. You say you chaged your line recently but how recent? Were the rods left in the heat or spooled with line thats been in your garage for the last 5 years? I change my line almost every time I go fishing with NEW line. I find it crazy how much people spend on fishing and then skemp on the last thing that they need to put fish in the boat.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2017, 10:04 PM   #11
txtradesman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I used braided line for hook setting power and mono for topwater and swim baits

A
txtradesman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2017, 10:05 PM   #12
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

We have been fishing Power Pro for about 10 years with no issue. I never change line unless something happens to cause the reel to get low because it just doesn't seem to break down line mono.

This last year we put Wind Tamer by Finns on 2 reels and it is a little smoother.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2017, 10:05 PM   #13
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggslayer View Post
No offence, but don't take advice from a guy that complains about having to change his fishing line once a year. You say you chaged your line recently but how recent? Were the rods left in the heat or spooled with line thats been in your garage for the last 5 years? I change my line almost every time I go fishing with NEW line. I find it crazy how much people spend on fishing and then skemp on the last thing that they need to put fish in the boat.
Couldn't agree more. Line is cheap so change it often! I write the date on every spool of line I buy and keep it in a climate controlled environment. As far as braid I think it's pretty hard to beat power pro for the price. I use 65# for punching and flipping and 40-50# for heavy swimbaits and main line for Carolina rigs. I use mono for everything else.
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2017, 10:06 PM   #14
DKirk
Ten Point

Been using power pro for ever with no issues. I probably have a couple reels that have had the same line for 3 or 4 years. Only advice is make sure you spool it tight.
DKirk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2017, 10:06 PM   #15
txtradesman
Ten Point

I spool my reels as needed, but not everytime I go.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:09 PM   #16
txtradesman
Ten Point

That's probably a little too much. I use 4 or 5 different rod and reels
Old 03-26-2017, 10:25 PM   #17
MadHatter
Ten Point

I mostly bass fish with mono, Suffix Siege in 14lb on 75% of my reels. I run seaguar redline on 3 of them. In the last 2 weeks I've caught over 300 bass, bank fishing Pines. Not a single break off. In fact I can't tell you the last time a fish broke my line. Impossible if your line is good and your drag is set right imo. Unless you get spooled, and i know that's not happening. Do you check your line often? The first 10-15 ft can get tore up pretty bad after a day of hard fishing. Saltwater i use Suffix, Jerry Brown and FINS windtamer. I prefer FINS, and JB for throwing artificial, and Suffix for soaking baits. Also you are never going to get a braid to outperform mono or flouro for abrasion resistance. As far as a braid that performs in salt and fresh, I've never met a braid that knew the difference.
People catch 10lb+ bass all the time on 6 & 8lb lines so I would look at your line, and your drag settings.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2017, 10:28 PM   #18
MassMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fisher, Erath

Power Pro. I'm a weekend warrior and can go at least a few years between line changes. It gets better after it softens up a bit.
MassMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2017, 10:34 PM   #19
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

I fish regularly in both salt and fresh and change my line about once a season and have always been fine. Can't imagine these guys who have to change it out after every trip????
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2017, 10:44 PM   #20
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
I fish regularly in both salt and fresh and change my line about once a season and have always been fine. Can't imagine these guys who have to change it out after every trip????
If you ever pay a $500 entry fee and lose a 12lbs bass that would have won you a new truck, you'll never think that way again.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:56 PM   #21
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggslayer View Post
If you ever pay a $500 entry fee and lose a 12lbs bass that would have won you a new truck, you'll never think that way again.
Pretty sure this thread is about the casual fisherman not the tourney guy. Sorry you didn't win that truck
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2017, 11:04 PM   #22
Dang_ol
Four Point

Hunt In: Corrigan,TX, louisiana, colorado

I fish mono and power pro. mono for just about everything unless flipping brush then its braid. how I have been catch my bass is using 80# braid. in very thick cover.
Dang_ol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2017, 11:07 PM   #23
Dang_ol
Four Point

Hunt In: Corrigan,TX, louisiana, colorado

biggest bass I have ever caught was on 6# mono throwing a trick worm, was right at 9#.
also caught several big reds with same rod, reel and line.
Dang_ol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2017, 11:14 PM   #24
teamfirstcast
Six Point

Default What??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efren View Post
After all the yrs of saltwater tournament fishing using a quality braid, I cannot disagree more. Most issues with braid are from rookie braid users trying to use the smaller dia lines: 8, 10, 12, 20 lb sizes that do not match up to normal Texas style of bass or coastal fishing. Try using the same dia equivalent braid as you would in mono... that equals 40, 50, 60 lb braid (10, 12, 15lb mono). You will have less backlashes, never break off, and the line will last yrs - yes years! Try some FINS 40lb Windtamer or FINS PRT in 40 or 50 lb and you will never have a line issue once you learn how to tie a proper knot to attach leaders and lures. I cannot imagine going back to mono, just no good reason with all the advantages with braid. my .02 of course
teamfirstcast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2017, 11:28 PM   #25
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Pretty sure this thread is about the casual fisherman not the tourney guy. Sorry you didn't win that truck
Tournament guy or weekend worrier, we all try to do the same thing. Back to the original question. IMO there is no, ONE line that will work for everything. All lines have different characteristics that are beneficial in certain situations.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:30 PM   #26
Homer75
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfirstcast View Post
After all the yrs of saltwater tournament fishing using a quality braid, I cannot disagree more. Most issues with braid are from rookie braid users trying to use the smaller dia lines: 8, 10, 12, 20 lb sizes that do not match up to normal Texas style of bass or coastal fishing. Try using the same dia equivalent braid as you would in mono... that equals 40, 50, 60 lb braid (10, 12, 15lb mono). You will have less backlashes, never break off, and the line will last yrs - yes years! Try some FINS 40lb Windtamer or FINS PRT in 40 or 50 lb and you will never have a line issue once you learn how to tie a proper knot to attach leaders and lures. I cannot imagine going back to mono, just no good reason with all the advantages with braid. my .02 of course
That is, can't use the same knots as mono, too waxy maybe. Another I found was after a big hook set. I seem to sink my line in the spool but, I know after a hook set I just feather it on the next cast. Try it for awhile and then make a judgment.
Homer75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2017, 12:02 AM   #27
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Suffix 30. Strong, easy to cast, and lasts for ever. No leader. I tie a palomar straight to a norton quick connect.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2017, 07:26 AM   #28
MadHatter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer75 View Post
That is, can't use the same knots as mono, too waxy maybe. Another I found was after a big hook set. I seem to sink my line in the spool but, I know after a hook set I just feather it on the next cast. Try it for awhile and then make a judgment.
Braid obviously has a very thin diameter and and it's very slippery, but the knots I use for mono 90% of the time, work for braid as well. Polymer & San Diego Jam. Also you need to wind braid on a little tighter than you would mono to prevent dig-in.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2017, 07:30 AM   #29
basschsr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Paint Rock

Power pro Slick in 17# test is what I use for bass, but only on jig rod. Berkley Big Game mono for top water and fluorocarbon for most everything else.
basschsr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2017, 07:34 AM   #30
In-Yo-Grill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waring, TX

Power Pro for years...If I'm fishing clear water then I might do a fluorocarbon leader.
In-Yo-Grill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2017, 08:08 AM   #31
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer75 View Post
Maybe you are using to small diameter braid?
I used power pro 20# on one of my baitcasters and every hookset or hangup, it dug into the spool. I moved up to 30# and have not had any issues since.
Still use the same rod/reel/line combo for bass and redfish.
bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2017, 08:25 AM   #32
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Another power pro user. Two spinning rod's are going on 3rd season with same spool. I also use a mono backing to get more bang for the buck and a flouro or mono leader depending on type of fishing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2017, 08:26 AM   #33
txdukklr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria

30# fins windtamer . . . not the longest casting but I like it's stiffness and durability.

Anyone who think braid is more frail then mono has the wrong combo of leaders or knots. Braid weight to weight is extraordinarily durable and with a flouro leader is a difference maker.

It does taking getting used to and a different style of fishing.
txdukklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2017, 08:38 AM   #34
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

I didn't want to switch to braid since I had fished mono for most of my life in saltwater but after I started getting hammered by my son and fishing buddies I made the switch.

They had already done all the leg work and were sold on Suffix 832 and that's what I use.

There is no stretch in braid so hookups are solid on long casts and the stuff lasts forever, much more forgiving than mono.

I spend a lot of time on the water fishing and I have to say that switching to the Suffix 832 was one of my best decisions as far as fishing tackle goes.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2017, 09:37 AM   #35
Possum9
Four Point

So the fish that were broke off were some big bass as we were fishing a trophy bass lake, I have never had trouble before but this lake calls for something different. Thank you all for the advice I think i am going to get me some wind tamer and try it out.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:38 AM   #36
Possum9
Four Point

Another question now is what color is the best for all around fishing?
Old 03-27-2017, 09:54 AM   #37
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

I can tell you for sure, once you get used to fishing with braid, you'll think you're fishin' with a rubber-band if you ever try fishing with mono again. There's no stretch in braid, and it is so sensitive, you can feel every little thing your line or bait touches. When fishing live bait, you will be able to feel the bait wiggling. I would not want to ever fish with mono again.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2017, 10:05 AM   #38
Rack Ranch
Ten Point

Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water

Some of these replies really surprise me. I re-spool my Braid at least twice a year fishing 6-8 times a month. I use Mono backing and it saves some money. Years without re-spooling?? I like green...
Rack Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2017, 10:25 AM   #39
Charles
Pope & Young

You probably have a bad spool of mono or a guide on your rod is cracked causing the line to fail prematurely.

I personally hate braid. The only time I use it is for punching hydrilla mats or top water frog over lilly pads or grass flats.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2017, 10:35 AM   #40
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty Co.

Swap to braid...I use Fins personally. I have backed it with mono and tied directly to the spool. Both have worked fine for me. I do tie a 2-3' flouro leader on as well. It did take me a few trips to "learn" to fish braid, but I will never switch back to mono.
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2017, 11:19 AM   #41
Maxxed Outdoors
Eight Point

Hunt In: Palestine

I use fins in saltwater regularly with no issues and no break off's.
Maxxed Outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2017, 11:52 AM   #42
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

As stated already, braided is steong and durable. I spoiled my wife's spincast with 300 yards of power pro 30# lb braid almost 7 years ago and haven't changed it since. I have receded the spoil once only. Have caught everything from a 50plus lb black drum to a 1/2 bass. Numerous reds along reef and bass among trees. Never lost a fish from busting off. I do use mono on every other reel I have though(13). I like the casting of mono compared to braid but a properly set real will cast both about as good. I use 12lb Berkeley big game mono exclusively. Caught some perch on it this past weekend have calso caught by biggest fish ever on it. 81lb black drum. Just set your drag properly according to the Turing and you'll do just fine. We catch a lot of 5-8 bass on 8 lb mono and it hella fun. Drag is set for it and it's a blast.
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #43
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
I can tell you for sure, once you get used to fishing with braid, you'll think you're fishin' with a rubber-band if you ever try fishing with mono again. There's no stretch in braid, and it is so sensitive, you can feel every little thing your line or bait touches. When fishing live bait, you will be able to feel the bait wiggling. I would not want to ever fish with mono again.
I just re-spooled my main real with mono instead of putting braid on it again. I am just going to strip it all off now because that is exactly what it feels like. You really feel it when you try to set the hook with 60' of line out.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2017, 07:30 PM   #44
Possum9
Four Point

Thanks everyone for the advice I am going to give braid a go.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:33 PM   #45
Walker
Ten Point

Heres a trick I use. Might not suit your needs but here it is. We target reds in the ULM with spinning tackle.I take a 300 yd spool of braid and cut it into four 75yd lengths. Put one length on a reel. Nail knot to mono and full the reel up. Now take all the line off the reel, reverse it and spool it back up with the mono for backing. Makes a package of braid go a long way and we have never got into the mono with a fish.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2017, 08:55 PM   #46
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Learn to tie a proper knot. Easy as that. I bet all your break offs are at the eye.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2017, 09:01 PM   #47
Kingfisher789
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum9 View Post
Another question now is what color is the best for all around fishing?
How are you fishing fresh and salt all at once? Where are you? Buy another reel dude...
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2017, 09:05 PM   #48
Cantcatch5
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
I just re-spooled my main real with mono instead of putting braid on it again. I am just going to strip it all off now because that is exactly what it feels like. You really feel it when you try to set the hook with 60' of line out.
Have you tried Flourocarbon? I use mono for topwaters, braid for frogs and Flourocarbon for everything else. I use KVD Line and Lure conditioner liberally while spooling the Flourocarbon. Flourocarbon is much more sensitive than mono.
Cantcatch5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2017, 11:04 PM   #49
Possum9
Four Point

I am not fishing fresh and salt water at the same time I just fish both throughout the year. I don't need any more reels just looking for a good suggestion on braided line for both applications. When it comes to the knot I tie the palomar knot and it has worked well for me for many years. I am just fishing a unique bass lake that calls for some stronger line and if I am going to replace my line I want it to work well in both fresh and salt water.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:18 PM   #50
Possum Fat
Ten Point

I'd blame knot tying proficiency before I blamed brands and type of line.
Possum Fat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top