No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool, tried on the first entry to the San Gabriel unit this morning for three hours and saw nothing, heard couple pigs and some bull frogs. Lots of rabbit holes and pellets but no rabbits. Tons of squirrel nests but no squirrels. Lots of deer and hog tracks, and some fresh rubs. Also walked up on a hog carrcas , well skin bones head and feet. So forefinger is good? Thought about Willis creek or the down by San Gabriel river bridge entrance. Is forefinger a good hike to the woods? Also saw a game warder inspecting someone there.
    Thanks

Comment

blow the dam is good for squirrel

Comment

Shortest hike to get into good nut trees is Willis Creek aka gate 4 on the corps map. But I don't recall hearing or seeing a lot of tree rats on my last outing there. But I was there around evening.

Comment

Saw 1 tree rat at dark tonight but he never got close enough.at Willis creek. And drove by sore finger and correct me if I'm wrong but I did not see but a small handfull of trees and same thing below the dam( unless it's bigger than I thought ). Still had good time out.

Comment

Lots of native pecans around checkpoint V below the dam. But as you can see from the maps on the first page of this thread, it is long hike back there. Should be some squirrels there.

Comment

Cool I'll give thtat a shot next time. Thanks

Comment

So I'm new to hunting and I've been reading TBH for a while now. I'm trying to get a hog kill and I'm getting a bit discouraged.
                I've been out to granger three times. Morning, daytime, and evening. I haven't seen or heard a hog yet. I have spooked a fee deer out there while stalking/ searching.
                So here's my question. Are all the granger hogs completely nocturnal? Am I doing something wrong?

The stalking doesnt seem to be getting me any success.
                Has anyone has luck with bait and wait at Granger?
                What about scents/ attractants like Dominat Boar or Sow in Heat?

Any help offered would be greatly appreciated.

-Tim

Comment

Don't get discouraged....these hogs are VERY difficult to hunt! I'm new to hunting them in Granger as well. I've had a few sightings and found evidence (droppings, rubs, ruts, etc) of recent activity ALL over the San Gabriel WMA. Should note, I have yet to take my first hog. Baiting definately can improve your odds....but I don't think anything really beats shoeleather and a good stalking technique (keep the wind in your face, heads up and alert, etc).

It's a great challange.....and hell, a day hog hunt'n still beats the pants off a day at the office.

Comment

discouraged?!?!?! haaaaaaaaaaaa ive been hunting granger 1 year for pigs and havent gotten one yet!!! ive seen them heard them and almost stepped on a piglet. but still no luck. this year is gonna change.

bait and wait is kinda hard since you cant make them come feed.

ill be out sat morn hopefully.

Comment

i will tell you how to kill the hawgs at granger!!!!was my backyard for 20 years, i have taken ten with my bowtech at granger the past five years!!!!ask fellow tbh'er "misterbubbasbulletman"!!!! baiting doesn't work because they will only come at night 99% of the time and if you do bait!!!someone else will probably either hunt your setup or steal your stuff, the only way i have killed them is walking and stalking or find a good easy tree to climb near a well used wallow!!!you have to get back in there and right now all or alot of the hogs are on the opposite side of the river near the primative boat launch(buddy has told me of many sightings this week while white bass fishing)get a boat and hunt the opposite side of the river away from all the fishermen, you can even walk in at the white bass drop off(that curve where everyone and there brother parks during white bass run)i call it the steps, don't know the noun name!!!!park there and walk across to the other side and walk down river towards the lake!!!about 100 yds off the river, eventually you will run into hogs in between there and the primative boat launch which is a mile or so down river, the only problem with walking and stalking is that usually they are bedded down in briars or pecan limbs and they hear you and jump like a covey of quail as soon as you get up on them, if they don't smell you they may stop but usually they run and don't stop!!!!!but if you can find them in a general area, they won't go too far and right now most of the sows have piglets or are getting ready to drop them at granger, every year it's the same i always catch piglets in feb and march...the bottom line is that i have had all of my success right before dark, when you just can barely see your pins. another way is get a boat with a motor and put in at friendship park which is free and drive over to the sore finger area, not alot of pressure because it's too far to walk from anywhere else. drag your hog to the boat instead of miles in a cart!!!!!works for the river, a 16' flatbottom boat w/28 horse power johnson spray painted in camo is my hog getter, it is parked in thrall waiting for me, look out hogs because next year i am retiring from the NAVY and moving back, chasing these elk and muleys are fun but not as fun as chasing the granger hog!!!!!!!!!hope i help you get your first.......don't get discouraged, find a buddy and get after them, two way radio and back pack, get on em!!!!!!!

Comment

alot of the hogs are on the opposite side of the river near the primative boat launch

Sorry....trying to place where you're talking about. Is the primative boat launch near the primative camping area? Are you talking about hunting the South side of the San Gabriel heading east from the 95 bridge (I think that's parking area #9)?

Thanks

Comment

Hope to make it up in the a.m Probably about first light.
                          Last edited by Wudstix; 02-03-2012, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Wud, I should be out there tomorrow morning, if I'm not too hungover to wake up and get out there. I'm taking Plus1 dancing tonight so who knows. Pm me your number. I'll check where your at in the AM.

Comment

Originally posted by viper3853 View Post
                              Wud, I should be out there tomorrow morning, if I'm not too hungover to wake up and get out there. I'm taking Plus1 dancing tonight so who knows. Pm me your number. I'll check where your at in the AM.
                              Trip got vetoed with 4" of rain and hail in SA last night. Not worth a 2 1/2 hour drive to find it pouring rain when I get there.

Comment

Didn't make it out as well. Woke up late and it was poring outside. I may try to get out tomorrow morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X