Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 02-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #1401
elgato
Ten Point

Yet another use for duct tape...

In the ongoing battle to thwart coons from our feeders this is the latest design. Last yr. we used 1X4's and that worked most of the feeding season. By the end though some coons had figured out how to weave themselves amongst the boards and snatch a meal.Now we have wrapped duct tape around the boards to eliminate any place for them to hold on. Cameras are out . We will see.

For the coons that are big enough to 'chin up ' to the spout we are going to put all the feeders on 2x4's to lift them up a bit. Results to follow
Attached Images

elgato is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-29-2016, 08:33 PM   #1402
Dushon
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post

In the ongoing battle to thwart coons from our feeders this is the latest design. Last yr. we used 1X4's and that worked most of the feeding season. By the end though some coons had figured out how to weave themselves amongst the boards and snatch a meal.Now we have wrapped duct tape around the boards to eliminate any place for them to hold on. Cameras are out . We will see.

For the coons that are big enough to 'chin up ' to the spout we are going to put all the feeders on 2x4's to lift them up a bit. Results to follow

Dont take long for these to pay for theirselves. Ive taken +300 off the 1500 acres I work on in the last 3years.
Dushon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-29-2016, 09:16 PM   #1403
Encinal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Spite of Wife's Complaints

Why don't you buy 50 duke dog proof traps for ~$900 and smoke them...

We killed 40 coons in 4 days with 40 traps... and we are in S Tex... which isn't prime coon habitat...

They averaged 20lbs each... which equates to taking 2 400lb black bears off of your feeders... which I guarantee you eat more than $900 worth of feed...
Encinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2016, 08:50 AM   #1404
elgato
Ten Point

We have killed countless coons using cola and ' the secret sauce'.With bayou's swamps, creeks, and thousands of acres of hardwoods our area seems to have an inexhaustible supply of coons.

Reminds me of the rat plague long ago. New York or Paris? I forget where. They tried everything to kill out the rats but nothing worked. Finally they cleaned up the city getting rid of all the trash and mess lying around. Curiously with no habitat the rat problem was solved.

Regardless of how many coons I've killed there has always been a big problem with waste. Yes there is no doubt coon predation on the feeders has been as much as 30% -40%. Whatever, a big problem.

So my strategy now is to coon proof the feeders, eliminate the waste and let the coons live in their natural ecology. Actually don't mind them cleaning up underneath the feeders as that probably helps some. Plus this is a no maintenance approach.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #1405
JeffK
Ten Point

What if you moved your protein feeders to the middle of your food plot fields and away from the brush edge? That's what I did with mine and raccoons are rarely at the feeders now and I am along a river bottom. I did not notice any change in bucks visiting feeders also.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2016, 10:14 AM   #1406
RRagan83
Ten Point

Hunt In: Schleicher, Edwards, Kimble, and McCulloch county

Quote:

Cut the bottom out of a 5gl bucket and put it where you have the duct tape I have done this in the past and it works well
RRagan83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2016, 03:13 PM   #1407
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRagan83 View Post
Cut the bottom out of a 5gl bucket and put it where you have the duct tape I have done this in the past and it works well
I've been shown that before and am sure it works. Same concept as this. I just happened to driving by a feeder with duct tape when this idea hit me. The " do it now " principle.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:30 AM   #1408
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Quote:
I've been shown that before and am sure it works. Same concept as this. I just happened to driving by a feeder with duct tape when this idea hit me. The " do it now " principle.
Is all this rain hitting you? Flooding again?
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #1409
elgato
Ten Point

Thanks for asking. We are flooding already from the rain here and with 17" and continuing north of us on the Red River I predict we will get significant flooding again.
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2016, 10:36 AM   #1410
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

I was wondering how you were fairing with all the rain. Good luck and stay safe!
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2016, 12:07 PM   #1411
DPElite
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mexico

Here's a pic my dad sent me earlier today
Hwy 157 south of 527 which is in south bossier Parrish

DPElite is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #1412
Sergio_III
Ten Point

Wow! That's a lot of water.
Sergio_III is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2016, 12:33 PM   #1413
elgato
Ten Point

Dang,Lots of damage. I heard Lake Bisteneau up that direction was the highest above flood stage in history. We are at 5" now with heavy rains continuing. I've been stuck inside for two days and it looks like it could continue till Saturday.

Too early to start drinking...or is it?
Old 03-10-2016, 12:37 PM   #1414
DPElite
Ten Point

Yeah dad is right down the road from the lake about 6-8 miles
He said it's a mess
DPElite is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #1415
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Sorry to hear. No bueno
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2016, 04:24 PM   #1416
roadkill54
Four Point

Hunt In: South TX and Western Hill Country Tx

Was wondering about the moisture and how bad it was. We've only had 5 inches so far. We need the rain just not our annual precip in one shot

If its working west to east I hate to say your probably gonna get more cause its raining on us now in SE central Texas.....
roadkill54 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2016, 06:59 AM   #1417
deer farmer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harrison Co and other places

We got 11"+ in Harrison co, and I am hoping we will not see the water saturation we saw last spring. Elgato, that is a lot of rain at your place. Hoping the best for u this year.
deer farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2016, 07:33 PM   #1418
elgato
Ten Point

We are having the worst flooding in history. Over half our collective 2500 acres is under water. Many people in our area have lost their homes, cars, cattle etc. A good friend across the bayou has his entire 2000 acre farm under water. He lost 2 tractors, a dozer and water is 4' into his camp. This story is repeated all over.

On a brighter note I found this shed today. Was shed a year ago from a 3 yr old and you can see the break where he had a nice fork on his 3 as well. Giving him credit for that ~ 77". He was a mid 180's nontypical this yr.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2016, 07:43 PM   #1419
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX

Was wondering how you were fairing. Hope things dry out for yall.
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2016, 08:38 PM   #1420
elgato
Ten Point

Here's what the buck looked like on the hoof
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2016, 01:51 AM   #1421
Mr Sid
Six Point

Default A year in the life of a farm

Elgato, praying for you and all your neighbors. It's bad, but the crests were lowered slightly for both the Red and Black in our area South of you. That may save the levy system by the L & D #1. Frantic sand bagging is underway on both sides of the Red by the Lock & Dam.

Last edited by Mr Sid; 03-21-2016 at 01:53 AM.
Mr Sid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2016, 06:34 AM   #1422
Jtrisler
Six Point

Will say a little prayer for you as well. The water got in our camp at Larto last Thursday and I am sure it is a few feet in it by now. All our land along the Black River in Jonesville is flooded and it could be in my wife's Grandparents river house by this evening. Projected crest is Wed/Thurs. Praying for all involved!
Jtrisler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2016, 10:08 AM   #1423
bgleaton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX

I'm sorry to hear about all of the damage that's occurring due to all of the flooding. Will keep you all in our thoughts and prayers.
bgleaton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #1424
Mailman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

I am still praying for all of you folks, that flood damage is unreal.

On a brighter note, nice find on that shed... That deer is a STUD
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2016, 12:45 PM   #1425
GarGuy
Pope & Young

These four floods have just been crazy. I hope all the deer from your neighbor made it ok. Im seeing a lot of bucks around the waters edge as the river receeds here. Some big ol lumpheaded suckers too!
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2016, 09:44 AM   #1426
elgato
Ten Point

Water finally started down yesterday dropping a couple inches. My best guess is that about 1300-1500 acres flooded of our collective 2500 acres. Fortunately I have over 40 acres of clover on high ground so deer shouldn't be stressed too much.Highest flood in history.

I was in North La. earlier this week and flooding still extensive up there. All that water still has to make it's way down. Flood could be with us a while.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:53 PM   #1427
FCTrapper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa/McMullen County

Dang Rusty. Sorry to hear. I hope the deer transition ok to the smaller area. The pecking order process is going to be a roller coaster for some of those deer.

Mother Nature is so irrational sometimes.
FCTrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2016, 10:57 AM   #1428
ostey22
Ten Point

Hunt In: 4 counties in Texas

Just read through your recent post. It's been a week, are things getting some what better? I sure hope so. Prayers for ya.
ostey22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #1429
elgato
Ten Point

Happy to have this guy back and on the wall.

The water has receded and is off all the roads and fields, at last! Thanks so much for all the kind comments and concerns.

I had a beautiful 16 acre field planted in rye, crimson, wheat, radishes, turnips,and rape that went 10-15 ft under water. It is dry now though rain probabilities are high this week. The minute it is dry enough to plant we are drilling.

The plan is 50 lbs cow peas, 25 lbs soybeans, 10 lbs sunn hemp, and 6 lbs sunflowers per acre. Will be interesting to see how this field performs since all the 'thatch' is just a weird looking melted film. I'll plant the other fields that didn't flood in May and can compare.

Excited to get the tractor working again.
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #1430
Sergio_III
Ten Point

Quote:
Happy to have this guy back and on the wall.

The water has receded and is off all the roads and fields, at last! Thanks so much for all the kind comments and concerns.

I had a beautiful 16 acre field planted in rye, crimson, wheat, radishes, turnips,and rape that went 10-15 ft under water. It is dry now though rain probabilities are high this week. The minute it is dry enough to plant we are drilling.

The plan is 50 lbs cow peas, 25 lbs soybeans, 10 lbs sunn hemp, and 6 lbs sunflowers per acre. Will be interesting to see how this field performs since all the 'thatch' is just a weird looking melted film. I'll plant the other fields that didn't flood in May and can compare.

Excited to get the tractor working again.

That is a great looking deer and mount!

I hope you can get some tractor time soon and look forward to reading in more progress on your farm.
Sergio_III is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2016, 02:21 PM   #1431
whackem and stackem
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, Mid-west, all over

Deer turned out great and look forward to yall's spring/summer progress
whackem and stackem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2016, 07:22 AM   #1432
deer farmer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harrison Co and other places

Happy to hear things are drying up for u. I got in 8 hrs of tractor time just before this new rain. I love what tractor time does for the wildlife, but that dam tractor of mine will beat me to death, and I walk a little stiffer and feel like I have been beat up after a full day on the tractor And your deer mount looks really good
deer farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2016, 07:45 AM   #1433
bgleaton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX

Wow!
bgleaton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 11:36 AM   #1434
elgato
Ten Point

Time to plant. It's a bit earlier than expected but nature offered a different plan. This was one of the flooded fields. Picture it in shoulder high rye with a thick understory of crimson and brassicas. This is whats left after the flood. Will be interesting to see how it performs.
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2016, 11:45 AM   #1435
GarGuy
Pope & Young

My GAWD what a mount that deer made. Amazing beams.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #1436
ostey22
Ten Point

Hunt In: 4 counties in Texas

Stud of a deer! Mount looks perfect. Good luck with your plots.
ostey22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #1437
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX

Quote:
Time to plant. It's a bit earlier than expected but nature offered a different plan. This was one of the flooded fields. Picture it in shoulder high rye with a thick understory of crimson and brassicas. This is whats left after the flood. Will be interesting to see how it performs.
Glad things have dried out for you. You still have some pretty decent thatch in that field considering it was flooded. Will be following along your progress!
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2016, 01:14 PM   #1438
elgato
Ten Point

Few things are prettier than a big field full of waist high crimson. Especially when my 3 yr old grandson is lighting it up.

This field will get planted as soon as the crimson goes to seed.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2016, 01:34 PM   #1439
TX kyleboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: West Virginia when I can

Just joining in and interested in the thread. Thanks for sharing.
TX kyleboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2016, 04:44 PM   #1440
Tx_Punisher
Six Point

Your work seems to be paying off. Those are some nice bucks.
Tx_Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2016, 09:12 AM   #1441
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Hope all this rain isnt causing you to much grief! Been coming down for a couple days now.
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #1442
elgato
Ten Point

Planting time on the farm today. We are drilling per acre 50 lbs cow peas, 25 lbs soybeans, 10 lbs sunn hemp and 6 lbs sunflower. This into a field planted last fall in 100 lbs rye, 50 lbs wheat, 10 lbs crimson 3 lbs radishes, 1 lb turnips, and 1 lb rape. The field was amended with 3 tons/acre chicken litter last fall.

Tomorrow I will spray with gly.

I planted this exact mixture about a week ago in a field left fallow by flooding. It's already growing well but will be interesting to compare the 2 fields
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2016, 01:13 PM   #1443
elgato
Ten Point

Did I mention I like what the chicken litter does? We received 125 tons today.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #1444
Mr Sid
Six Point

I'm glad to see a positive update, I thought you would be bracing for the 3rd flood of the year. The Red is in the news again. Good luck with the planting.

Mr. Sid
Mr Sid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2016, 02:34 PM   #1445
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sid View Post
I'm glad to see a positive update, I thought you would be bracing for the 3rd flood of the year. The Red is in the news again. Good luck with the planting.

Mr. Sid
Yep, we are under some flooding yet again. its likely the field I planted a couple weeks ago will go partially under. Cant get to it now cause of the water.

My neighbor may lose most of the fields he just planted Friday. Discouraging. Fortunately the fields I'm planting now will not go under.....hopefully.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:13 PM   #1446
elgato
Ten Point

Found this Saturday while running the tractor. Small side of a 4 yr old non typical. 24" mass scoring 81". Think the other side is about 10" bigger.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2016, 01:11 AM   #1447
BIG BONE
Pope & Young

Great find
BIG BONE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2016, 09:59 AM   #1448
Mex Polack
Four Point

Yikes, thats some serious bone !
Mex Polack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2016, 08:41 PM   #1449
elgato
Ten Point

Planted my dove field this morning in a combination of brown top millet, proso millet, and Jap millet. Sprayed with gly as soon as planting was complete. Unfortunately found a 1 day old fawn with the drill in the process. Collateral damage. This was the last planting of the summer and I hoped we would escape without this happening.

Oh well I guess that is my farm managers buck for the year.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2016, 10:17 PM   #1450
drslonghorn
Six Point

Hunt In: West Texas

That sucks, sorry that happened. Hope you avoid the flooding this go round. We have the opposite problem in west Texas, although we have been getting some rain as of late.
drslonghorn is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top