Wildlife rain catcher built over the holidays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wildlife rain catcher built over the holidays

We are really dry. Needed a fix. Now just need some rain to fill it up. Go figure...
    Attached Files

What is your location? looking good!

Comment

Gatesville

Comment

Looks good it should help the wildlife.

Comment

Looks awesome and very well built!

Just curious:

Why didn't you put the trough/float valve thing further way from the catch tank?

Are you concerned that dirt will get into your trough being that it is so low to the ground?

I only ask because I am looking to a couple of these setups (not as fancy as yours) and I am debating on how far my run will be.

Comment

Thank you for compliments.

I was thinking of how I can get the storage tank higher than the trough. I was going to build a platform or use cinder blocks. All the metal was left over from a different project. I didn't have enough metal, and cinder blocks might break later on. So I just moved some dirt with a skidsteer to get it higher. It's hard to tell from the pics it's about 3' or 4' higher than regular ground.
            The trough is built around an H style bracket I built. Wanted the smallest trough for evaporation problems. Made some points and pushed in ground with skidsteer. Then dug a trench to lay the pvc pipe.
            The trough has dirt on the backside, but not much in front. It sits above the ground about 1'. If dirt starts falling in from the back side, I'll put a piece of metal to stop from sliding in from the back side. Wanted to make sure the water line would be freeze proof and hopefully animal proof. So, thats why it's not to far.
            Also, I'm going to move a protein feeder next to it with a pen.

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
            Looks awesome and very well built!

Just curious:

Why didn't you put the trough/float valve thing further way from the catch tank?

Are you concerned that dirt will get into your trough being that it is so low to the ground?

I only ask because I am looking to a couple of these setups (not as fancy as yours) and I am debating on how far my run will be.

Comment

Here is a thought...
              Corrugated metal was $20 bucks a sheet. Materials with out tank was around $350.
              Storage tank is 600gal I got for Christmas. I think it was around $500.
              Metal was free, have no idea on price, but let say $200.
              So, probably cost around $1k to build.

If I had to do it again, I would just buy the water tough/ rain catcher combo that go into the ground. Or the one that looks like a protein feeder, the feeder companies make like the Outback feeder wildlife rain guzzler.

Comment

looks good, should pull in some animals!

Comment

Working...
                X