When and what to plant for spring/summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When and what to plant for spring/summer

This will be my first year planting a spring food plot, Ive planted winter before nut never on this place, when and what should I plant. Location is east texas near Sam Rayburn, soil is pretty good but does have a bit of clay. I have a tractor and disk, I want to plant 2-3 acres to help draw in more deer and help feed the 6-7 bucks that ate protein all summer last year.

Cowpeas

Comment

I've had really good luck with Laredo soybeans. Usually plant sometime in April.
      Last edited by panhandlehunter; 01-05-2018, 12:35 PM.

Comment

This spring I am going to plant about 7-8 acres in the Turner seed Spring Deer Mix and Spring Dove Mix, mixing the seed on 50/50 blend. Will also apply about a ton of fertilizer in a 24-10-10 blend. Will most likely plant April 1st or there about.

Comment

Soybeans

Comment

White top clover is hard to beat. I normally plant wheat in the fall and top seed with clover. When the wheat dies out from the heat the clover takes over. With moderate heat/moisture , I've had it last all summer. A perennial will sometimes go several years before needing reseeding. Lot's of info on the internet for clover food plots.

Comment

Cowpeas or Soybeans when the ground and nighttime temps get warm enough. I planted to early the past two years and cowpeas did not grow very well with cool night temps. I am waiting till last week of April this year to get warmer ground/night temps. Also take advantage of the spring green up so the deer are not hammering my young food plots.

Comment

Originally posted by stingerslinger View Post
                White top clover is hard to beat. I normally plant wheat in the fall and top seed with clover. When the wheat dies out from the heat the clover takes over. With moderate heat/moisture , I've had it last all summer. A perennial will sometimes go several years before needing reseeding. Lot's of info on the internet for clover food plots.
                That's a good idea. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by Kurdawg View Post
                  This will be my first year planting a spring food plot, Ive planted winter before nut never on this place, when and what should I plant. Location is east texas near Sam Rayburn, soil is pretty good but does have a bit of clay. I have a tractor and disk, I want to plant 2-3 acres to help draw in more deer and help feed the 6-7 bucks that ate protein all summer last year.
                  I'm not 100% sure what I'm planting yet, I can grow a pretty plot, just can't get deer to eat them. Have a knee deep plots right now without a track in it. But just a tidbit of info, there is a feed store in kirbyville about a 1/4 mile passed the first light that have been pretty good to me on food plot seed and fertilizer. If I'm thinking right, you should pass right by it on your way to your place.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                    I'm not 100% sure what I'm planting yet, I can grow a pretty plot, just can't get deer to eat them. Have a knee deep plots right now without a track in it. But just a tidbit of info, there is a feed store in kirbyville about a 1/4 mile passed the first light that have been pretty good to me on food plot seed and fertilizer. If I'm thinking right, you should pass right by it on your way to your place.

Yes i do, i will check them out. I normally buy everything from mid country feed in Nederland the old Gazardos they are good people and give me and my mom a 10% discount on her horse food and my dog food and whatever else i buy there.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurdawg View Post
                      Yes i do, i will check them out. I normally buy everything from mid country feed in Nederland the old Gazardos they are good people and give me and my mom a 10% discount on her horse food and my dog food and whatever else i buy there.
                      I think I'd keep buying from them then, you're probably not gonna get that kind of treatment where I was talking about. Give me a shout when you're headed up some times, my camp is on your way. Ill have a cold one for ya if I'm there.

Comment

Working...
                      X