Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Middle of North Texas Hunting Thread 4th Edition!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some chasing going on, seems she wasn’t interested!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by #deerslayer View Post
      Seen an Axis doe on FM 2210 just North of Gibtown Wednesday morning, maybe she can draw more into Jack Cty Ha!
      Yea surprised young and jack don't have exotics, plenty of water

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
        We have a camera on Potato Hill and it rained hard there for 1.5 hours. 3/4 of a mile from you. Surely it got yall too. Jimmy came by and ate dinner with us a couple of weeks ago and said yall had planted. Hope its chin high in a week.
        Me too

Comment

That buck and doe this morning moved off about 70 yds and layed down. She wasn’t having his nonsense, but he wasn’t letting her get far. They layed there FOREVER, and I needed OUT of that blind! I lost track of them and packed up and left. I saw her when I was 40yds from the blind and she layed there and watched me walk away, which is unheard of around here. Never saw him again, but I’m sure he was close.

I went to Marlene’s for a fine breakfast and messed around in town till about 11:30. Came back out and went to work cuttin limbs (with a electric chainsaw) at dads blind, and I shot 3 pigs while I was at it, and saw 5 deer. Went to my boat trailer to cut limbs, and killed another pig, and saw 4 more deer. Saw deer all day including 4 at camp. Went to my favorite October tree this afternoon and saw squat. They moved most of the day, not sure what that means for the morning.

Pigs are OUT OF CONTROL...

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            Pigs are OUT OF CONTROL...
            I hear ya. I've killed 4 this week in Wise county while walking around and almost shot one walking out from last night's hunt. I've almost hit 2 in the road between my house and the highway this week with my truck going to work. I won't pass up an opportunity to put one down when I get it..... well except with my truck. Been there, done that. They jack stuff up!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Love some Marlenes breakfast wish Ben would get back to cooking every now and then

Comment

Several never seen before bucks over the last 2 days on camera. Sat behind the house yesterday evening and saw 8 (including 2 of the new bucks).

Comment

Went back out this weekend and had a great weekend. I saw deer everytime out. Saturday evening i had a close encounter with a really nice buck. But he skirted away from me.

So this morning i was back in the quad pod where i shot the buck last weekend. Before sunrise i heard a deer in front of me. I couldn't see him, but could hear him breathing very heavily. I think that deer has asthma or something. He breathes louder than any deer i've ever heard. Anyway, as it gets light i can tell he's a crab clawed 7 pt, we've been trying to kill for two years. it finally gets light enough to shoot and he jumps into the feeder pen. I didn't want to shoot into the pen so i was going to wait for him to jump back out and then shoot him. Well, he finally jumped out, but just kept walking. Never presenting a shot He carried off some other deer with him

Oh well i thought, maybe i can still get a doe. Well, a few minutes later deer begin to filter back in. Well, maybe the crab claw will come back as well? So i look through the trees back to the east and see a buck. I thought it was the crab claw, until he picked his head up. Lo and behold it's one of our top target bucks! He walks straight to where i'm sitting. He's limping, i assume, from a fight. The big buck walks over a jumps straight into the feed pen. Well i still don't want to shoot into the pen, but i'm surely not letting this guy get away. So after i don't know how many minutes of watching this guy eat, i finally decide to shoot him in the pen. 30 yard shot.

I calm my breathing, he finally presents a squared up broadside shot, clear of branches, etc. Take a deep breath, center up the 30 yard pin, send it.

The deer hops out of the pen, stops about 15 yards outside of the pen, Staggers, and drops within about 20 - 30 seconds. DRT. Less than 10 yards from the spot where last weeks deer hit the ground! Grim Reaper nearly cut his heart in half.

So, i've now shot two deer with a bow, and the second one is the best buck i've ever shot regardless of equipment. Very happy.

Due to his size the guys at Cinnamon Creek thought he was from Oklahoma. The taxidermist speculated he was from Kansas. Good times.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by mikemorvan; 10-25-2020, 08:03 PM.

Comment

A couple of recent trail cam pics of him...

The crab clawed buck is under the feeder in the second pic...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                      Went back out this weekend and had a great weekend. I saw deer everytime out. Saturday evening i had a close encounter with a really nice buck. But he skirted away from me.

So this morning i was back in the quad pod where i shot the buck last weekend. Before sunrise i heard a deer in front of me. I couldn't see him, but could hear him breathing very heavily. I think that deer has asthma or something. He breathes louder than any deer i've ever heard. Anyway, as it gets light i can tell he's a crab clawed 7 pt, we've been trying to kill for two years. it finally gets light enough to shoot and he jumps into the feeder pen. I didn't want to shoot into the pen so i was going to wait for him to jump back out and then shoot him. Well, he finally jumped out, but just kept walking. Never presenting a shot He carried off some other deer with him

Oh well i thought, maybe i can still get a doe. Well, a few minutes later deer begin to filter back in. Well, maybe the crab claw will come back as well? So i look through the trees back to the east and see a buck. I thought it was the crab claw, until he picked his head up. Lo and behold it's one of our top target bucks! He walks straight to where i'm sitting. He's limping, i assume, from a fight. The big buck walks over a jumps straight into the feed pen. Well i still don't want to shoot into the pen, but i'm surely not letting this guy get away. So after i don't know how many minutes of watching this guy eat, i finally decide to shoot him in the pen. 30 yard shot.

I calm my breathing, he finally presents a squared up broadside shot, clear of branches, etc. Take a deep breath, center up the 30 yard pin, send it.

The deer hops out of the pen, stops about 15 yards outside of the pen, Staggers, and drops within about 20 - 30 seconds. DRT. Less than 10 yards from the spot where last weeks deer hit the ground!

So, i've now shot two deer with a bow, and the second one is the best buck i've ever shot regardless of equipment. Very happy.

Due to his size the guys at Cinnamon Creek thought he was from Oklahoma. The taxidermist speculated he was from Kansas. Good times.

Nice buck! County?

Comment

Wilbarger County

Comment

Look at you go Big Boy! Change your handle to Killamike. Gotta love that. Got a big smile out of you this time for sure. He has a big ole hammer head on him. IMO, still not as big bodied as that other deer. Looks like your on doe patrol now.
                          Congrats again!

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                            Look at you go Big Boy! Change your handle to Killamike. Gotta love that. Got a big smile out of you this time for sure. He has a big ole hammer head on him. IMO, still not as big bodied as that other deer. Looks like your on doe patrol now.
                            Congrats again!
                            We guesstimate other one was 25 lbs heavier. I'll be sitting with my son some. We have a pasture out between Lockett and Crowell that is home to a huge pig. As it gets colder he will get some attention, along with, finally, some sandhill cranes, late season doves, etc. The pressure is definitely off for a change. Feels great.

Comment

Congratulations great buck

Comment

Great buck! Bruiser

Comment

Working...
                                X