Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jerky recipes

any good ones?

I cheat. I use the spice from Academy and a dehydrator. Use my wild game meat first then towards the end of the season I go buy roast.

Comment

I make beef jerky using Eye of Round - pretty lean, little marbling. I cut it into strips 1/8-1/4" inch thick then tenderize. I used to tenderize with a meat hammer but now I use one of those things with all the tiny knife blades. (can't remember what you call it) I then marinate at least overnight in a combination of soy sauce, a little Allegro, fresh ground black pepper, Tony's and a little brown sugar. To start, I put in on racks in the smoker - lots of smoke, very low heat. I'm not trying to dry it on the smoker - just trying to get some smoke flavor on it - only takes about 1 hour or so. I then put it in the dehydrator for another 6 hours or so. I have a little cheapo dehydrator - a $40 Walmart special (American Harvest brand maybe?) so I am limited to small batches. It is eaten quickly so it can it do without using any "cure"

Comment

I cut my slices into roughly 1/4 inch slices. I am doing wild game. If using roast you can disregard the curing salt and mediteranian salt. I place the cut pieces into a pyrex glass pan and add ingredients.

I measure nothing so I will try and explain the best i can.

Curing salt: sprinkled accross the top of the meat (just the top as if salting your dinner)
        Soy sauce: dribble accross top of all the meat in back in forth pattern as if fertilizing your lawn
        [B]Teryiaki sauce: about twice as much as soy sauce
        Garlic salt, onion powder, about 1 tbs each
        Black Pepper aprox 2 tbs
        Cayenne pepper aprox 1 tsp
        brown sugar sprinkled accross top

I then add beer ( i prefer dark beer) just enough to get fluids just below top pieces of meat. I marinate the meat for three days, turning daily.
        This allows the meat to cure and all the flavors to fully penetrate the meat. I then dehydrate for approx 3hrs 15-30 min using a jerky dehydrator ( a dehydrator that swirls some heat, 155 degrees to be exact)

It is a very good flavorfull jerky, I hope you enjoy

Comment

Slice your meat
          Equal parts soy sauce and allegro with a few drops liquid smoke
          marinade a few hours or overnight
          lay meat out and sprinkle with Fiesta brand fancy rib rub (the red kind). Turn over and sprinkle other side and dehydrate.
          It will be spicy but you can't stop eating it.

Or instead of the dry rub use black pepper but it will be be spicy too.

If your not much on spicy or have kids I'd suggest lightly sprinkling

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Hot and spicy jerky

5 lbs. Venison
              1 cup worchestershire sauce
              ½ cup soy sauce
              1 tsp. Garlic salt
              1 tsp. Onion salt
              1 tsp. Spicy brown mustard
              ½ tsp. Coarse black pepper
              1 tsp. Chili powder
              ½ tsp. Cayene pepper
              1 tsp. Tabasco sauce

cut venison into ¼ inch strips. Combine ingredients for marinade. Marinate for 24 hours. Place in a dehydrator for 8 hours.

Comment

smoker vs dehydrated jerky is a huge difference in the final product, i prefer smoked jerky

Comment

Scotty's recipe sounds amazing.

Comment

good eatin snack ****

Comment

Originally posted by ckuehl View Post
                      I cheat. I use the spice from Academy and a dehydrator. Use my wild game meat first then towards the end of the season I go buy roast.

thats cheatin

Comment

Working...
                      X