Bow Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow Tuning

Now the season is over I'm playing around with my set-up.

58# recurve and I'm shooting 5575 GT with 125 grain head and 5" feathers. Some had said the 5575 GT are too stiff and to use a larger head. I made some up with 100 grain inserts that put the tip weight at 225. I decided to put a few through paper to see what they were doing.

The 225 grain point put a 3" left tear which would indicate weak spin. I then tried the 125 grain point with a normal insert and got a 3/4" left tear. Seeing these results I put a 100 grain point on and got a near perfect bullet hole.

To draw on the gurus of the trade bow does this sound feasible?

Sounds to me like an accurate paper test to me. I would think that about 125 - 145 would be just about right up front with that shaft. 225 sounds a little heavy to me and 100 a little light. If you want a heavier shaft, try stuffing the shaft with aquarium tubing. Also try adjusting your nock point a bit. Just a little at a time. Tie one on using unwaxed floss or use some masking tape.

But, if the 100 works, the 100 works. That's the important thing.
    Last edited by LostHawg; 01-23-2007, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Cotton, What is your draw length? That plays a part in it too. I am a knuckle dragger 30" draw and shoot a 58# recurve and the 55/75's were to weak. I now shoot the 75/95's full length with 125 heads and they fly perfect. I can also trim 1" off and shoot 145/150 grs on the tip and get the same perfect flight. My arrows weigh in at 575 grs.

Comment

I played with the nock point and there in my bow room I'm pretty happy with the results but everything I've read would dispute the 100 grain head. I'll get out and shoot some distance and see how that works out.

I have weight tubes in and with a 100 grain head I'm right at 500 grains +/- a couple of grains. What's a good arrow weight for my set-up?

Comment

BA, I'm a 28" draw and my arrows are cut at 29".

Comment

I'd shoot for at least 530 grains. That's just a hair above 9 grains per pound. Depending on the bow, you may need to go heavier. A 600 grain arrow will be considerably quieter than the 500 grain arrow. Go too light and it can harm the bow.

Personally, I'd want 580 grains. I like 10 gpp. Check out Carbon Express Selects. They've got a good base weight. Fairly tough shafts too. You can go with a stiffer shaft, add broadhead weight and you'll get up to where you want.

Its kinda difficult calling the shots on a trad bow as we each shoot a little different, whether draw length, anchor, release, or whatever. A recurve will need about 5 pounds stiffer than a longbow. A longbow will need stiffer than most selfbows.

www.bowmaker.net has a method of tuning arrows to your bow. Kinda technical if you like that kind of stuff. "Bareshaft tuning" O. L. Adcock is about a genius when it comes to tradbows.

I never could get comfortable shooting bare shafts though.

Comment

That is almost identical to what I shoot, are you going to the shootout, if you are I have a 55/75 goldtip that you could try out, I just do not have any to spare. You might just raise your brace hieght a tad also. That will allow you to shoot a little stiffer arrow, just as long as you do not get to carried away with it. If you do this and the arrow is too stiff still it will kick out on you.
              Those 55/75's are almost like a universal arrow. I shoot them in all sorts of bows(or have).
              Chris Kiefner

Comment

I'm with losthawg,. I try and shoot for the 9.5 to 10 gr/# of bow weight.

Comment

Those 55/75's are almost like a universal arrow.
                  I agree 100%, I've shot them from a 40# longbow and a 70# compound and had good flight.

Cotton, the 100 g point sounds about right since you're cutting your arrows at 29". I am shooting 56# at 28" with the Widow (virtually the same as the 60# @ 29" with the Bob Lee), I bare shaft tested mine (with the Lee) and I'm shooting a 125g arrow that is 31" long.

I haven't paper tested either rig but it sounds like we're in the same ball park. My arrows should test "loose" being longer and having a heavier tip? But they test fine when I bare shaft them at 10 yards, what distance are you from the paper?
                  Last edited by tinman; 01-23-2007, 07:48 PM. Reason: to capitolize Widow! ;)

Comment

Joey, it was at 5, 10 and 15 feet.

I think I just go with a heavier weight tube in the arrow and bring the weight up to 600.

Thanks yall for the help!

Comment

Cotton I would try for 30" arrows. Are you using a fast flight string or dacron?

Comment

I rechecked my arrows and they are 29.5 but with the 100 grain head they fly perfect. I'm not 100% on the string but I believe it's a Dacron.

I dropped another Franklin at 3 Rivers and once I get the weight up I think I'll be good to go!

Comment

Are the 3555s too weak for a 44#, 28" DL longbow? With 125 head?

Comment

I doubt it very seriously. You may even need to increase point weight.

Comment

Thanks BA.

Comment

Working...
                              X