Questions???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions???

Guys Im not going to pretend I know anything about trad bows or shooting. I bought a person bph-52. I shoot it, and somewhat shoot it well. I dont ever sit back to know I just shoot it. Its 45 lbs at 28, and Im pretty sure my draw length is 29. I dont think that is a big deal but could be wrong

Here is the things I want to know?

What is brace height? and why is it important.

What are some cheapier carbon arrows that I could use. When I was shooting alot carbon was just coming out, and I dont really know anything about it.

Anything else I should know about shooting my bow??

Thanks in advance

RedTx,

im not going to pretend to know anything about shooting either but from what i think i know... i can tell you this!

Brace height is the measurment from the deepest part of the valley in the grip to the front edge of the string. brace height is important for a couple of reasons, first every bow design will have a different BH depending on design and deminsions... I would contact the manufacturer of the bow you shoot to find the suggested BH. as stated this is just a suggested measurment and a good place to start, you can raise the BH up by adding twist to your string and vise versa for shortening the brace height. every bow will have a sweet spot that it will perform at its greatest potential, the "sweet spot" will be where the bow shoots the quietest and balances the effects of speed and forgiveness thus making it easier to shoot! you can shoot good with a untuned bow but great with a tuned one..... and will give you the most consistent arrow flight where you can fine tune your form and technique.
    Lowering brace height will speed an arrow up but will cause more contact with the shelf and raising the height will slow the arrow.

As far as carbons there are many choices out there, I shoot goldtip but there are many house brand arrows that are manufactured by the big names but branded differently really cant vouch for other brands as i dont want to give false information or secondary information but you can get goldtip expedition shafts for like $30.00/dozen which have a straitness consisentcy of +/-.006 and a weight tolerence of +/-.02 which i think is more then needed for traditional shooting. many will argue me but i have never met anyone that can notice a differents in shooting these shafts versus the top of the line...high end arrows with +/-.001. i shoot a compound for competitions and i think i shoot good but cant see the differents although i do shoot the higher end for confedence.

many new bows will have strings that need to be streched so once you tune and find that "sweet spot" write down the measurements and keep checking the BH untill it settles in! Im not sure if you switching form conventional shooting or just starting out but nock height is important. when you bareshaft(shooting your arrow with no fletchings) hold the bow strait up and down and if you get a nock high kick you need to raise the nock point and vise vesa for nock low flight... adjust until you get dead even flight and only move you nock point in 1/32"-1/16" increments. once you get it flying vertically even you might have a fishtailing kick which will go nock left or right you adjust this by tuning your arrows by adding tip weight.

not sure if someone has a marked website or anything with this info but its in depth and im already tired..lol i would tune for fishtailing before up and down kicks as a over spind arrow will sometimes cause a small high kick.

as i said im not going to pretend to know about this but this is what my daddy taught me as a kid and i can 3d shoot all day with broadheads and no fletchings and have perfect flight!!! so i think it works!!!

Good luck and pm me if you think i can help!!
    John

Comment

Reyna, well said.

www.bowmaker.net

This is OL Adcock's website and he covers bare shaft tuning indepth. O. L. has a lot of technical knowledge and he's always freely shared it.

Welcome aboard Red and I hope you enjoy trad archery the way we do.

Comment

If you are interested in a good book, consider The Traditional Bowhunters Handbook by T.J. Conrads. Pretty sure you can get it through the major trad suppliers such as 3 Rivers or Kustom King. It really answers alot of the questions you asked and you will have it there in print to refer back to time and time again. I am slowly learning this stuff myself and have found the book extremely helpful. My wife is probably sick of seeing my face crammed in the book only to jump up and run out to the garage or the backyard to try something out. Anyway, good luck and have fun.

Brian

Comment

Good site, Lost. I knew you would come through.

Comment

Working...
          X