No announcement yet.

2019 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Briar Friar;14026745]Rut-ro...I worry for your health. Railroad timbers are treated with creosote. Highly carcinogenic. Ive been under the impression that using railroad timbers was a big no no when building raised beds for a consumption garden.

My orchard is almost fully planted...a few skips...Ill plug some nectarine trees in those holes.

Im propagating some chile petin plants now...theyve got some new growth...so Im hopeful. They were struggling when they were vertical...so I laid them over and covered the stems and just left the leaves poking out of my propagation bed sand.[/QUOTE]

You definitely have to be careful. Adding a lot of carbon to your soil helps drastically with this

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
      So they can handle sub freezing with a tarp?
      It will help. If they are seedlings, prolly wont make it without tarps, blankets, and possibly a heater. If they are a little more established they will stand a better chance. Ideally, bring them in the house if possible

Comment

Plots have been going for awhile. It's early but I planted 24 "Early Girl" tomatoes and 28 Bell peppers in plastic mulch. Additionally, I've covered with 6-mil clear plastic to increase heat. Toms and peppers are very cold sensitive. We've got a freeze coming tomorrow early and the next few days.
        Under that plastic I also have greenbeans sprouting but they need to be covered as well. I'm trying to get an early start for the season since this is a business.

Also going are carrots, green onions, broccoli, garlic, potatoes, white onions, brown onions, lettuce, collards, Chinese, snap peas, kale and chard.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
          I had to put my tomatoes in the garden before I wanted to. I made hoops and have them covered with plastic right now. I’ll add old blankets tonight.
          I have my tomatoes in pots and gonna pull them in the garage tonight for 2 days

Comment

Peppers are in the ground.
            Too soon?

Click image for larger version

Name:	SALSA GARDEN.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	24575037

Last fall we did pretty good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PEPPERS-2018.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	24575038

Comment

Are the yellow banana peppers?

Comment

Originally posted by czechgrubworm View Post
                Are the yellow banana peppers?
                Tabasco.

Comment

I've given up this year. I've been trying to till my garden for 8 months now and it won't stop frigg'n raining.

Comment

NUTHIN' yet for our garden... Had some good dry weather these past 4 days or so... need at least 2 more weeks of drying before I can get the tractor in the plot. Almost buried it in my pasture last Sat. Had to dig a hole to bury some meat n stuff that was in a freezer that went bad... Almost didn't get it out...

Comment

I have decided if you can't beat em.. join em.. I am just going to plants among the weeds and worry about chopping the weeds later.

Comment

Well, even with the plastic and blankets my tomatoes didn’t make it through the freeze.
                        Got home from spring break and bought seven San Marzano plants from a local nursery. (All they had). Mine sure looked a lot better. Lol.
                        I planted my cucumbers and jalapeños as well.
                        Broccoli is ready to harvest. Brussels sprouts and onions are looking good. I’ve already harvested some asparagus spears. They sure are good.

Comment

The rest of my tomoatoes are going in this week. I planted a couple last week. Cucumbers will go in at the end of the week ahead of the rain. Probably wait another week or two on peppers. Okra will go in mid April. Onions, garlic, herbs are all doing well. Have one last round of radishes finishing up as well as spinach/lettuce. Tis the season!!

Comment

Scotty, you need to be my neighbor. Dang!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by NannySlayer View Post
                              Scotty, you need to be my neighbor. Dang!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to make a road trip when it’s time to can salsa and pickles!

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                                You need to make a road trip when it’s time to can salsa and pickles!
                                That 'll learn her

Comment

Working...
                                X