need some cattle raising tips....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hart8 View Post
    A lot of folks here saying that's not enough land for raising a couple of cows.My brother,and I both raised calves for FFA purposes(basically the same thing your mom wants to do) Feed em up,and slaughter.All of them were raised in about a 1/4 acre pen.Shorthorns,and Simmental.
    They tasted the same!lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    You can run 15 on it IF you want to feed them. The feed is far more important than the grass anyway to finish one. But the place will look like the surface of the moon and they will kill the trees and mud in the pond

Comment

Do not have enough land unless you plan on feeding them non stop. Which defeats the purpose

Comment

its cheaper to buy a butchered calf straight from the processor...we used to feed out a calf every year, by the time you feed the calf out, pay the processing charges, its not really feasible, especially when you start splitting all the beef with others, rib eyes, t bones, etc, there aren't that many cuts to go around, unless you have HB meat made with most of it.

you do however get the satisfaction of knowing you raised the beef yourself.

Comment

Pm me you phone number and I will call and visit with you.

Comment

My family raised cattle when I was younger. We bought from the butcher. Dad said it came out cheaper in long run. Plus it was cheaper to eat chicken and fish do that is what we ate

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue1 View Post
              for city slickers.

Parents just bought a couple acres and decided they wanted to feed out a couple cows for the family each year. they have about 2-2.5 acres with a small tank and a few mature trees. the property has been neglected for years and only been used off and on for horses.

they are too old to jump into this alone so I figure I'm going to have to run point. not sure what Dad's thinking, this really isn't his game. mom just wants a healthy alternative to buying store bought beef.

all I know about raising beef is it tastes great on the grill. looking for any tips for a complete newby in this. what breed? what do I need to do to improve the pasture? when do we start? in short, what am I getting myself into?

I think it will be fun and rewarding, and great to get the kids involved. but like I really needed another project on my plate.

any help educating me will be greatly appreciated.

Just how old are they? How old is too old to feed cows?

Comment

Dexter steer, doesn’t require much room and great taste

Comment

I did pretty much what your talking about, had 2.5 acres. We bought cheap steer dairy bottle calves and raised them to be 18 months roughly or right at 1,000 lbs. didn’t have much grass due to dirt work. Fed them a cheap sweet feed, always had hay and a protein tub. About 3 months before we slaughtered them I started working rolled corn into their feed and slowly increased the ratio till it was 80%. For dairy steers the meat turned out amazing. Steaks are small but taste great. Got about 450lbs of each one. Worked well enough we did it a second time. Hardest part is when you first get them. If they can make it through the first two weeks it’s pretty easy after that. We were paying for the feed with money that my wife made off selling eggs to pay for feed and even to slaughter them, so at the end of the day I didn’t have a lot of out of pocket expenses maybe 300-400 per cow. So from my side it worked great. Moving forward I would suggest buy cheap ropping steers. They are about 300 lbs, cheap and you don’t have to worry about bottle feeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Try talking them into sheep instead. They'll probably be more keen on esting lamb han goats, and goats are trouble makers lol

Comment

I have a small cow calf operation. We buy our beef at sams club.

Comment

I appreciate all the comments, believe me I know the situation isn't ideal. however if mom starts this project, i'll be the one taking it over so I'd like to know as much as I can beforehand.

rack ranch, pm inbound.

Comment

Don’t let her name them!

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                            Don’t let her name them!

Yep. Then it goes from being beef to pets.

Comment

Run it like a feed lot. Pour the feed to them until they are ready to eat. They taste better than grass fed beef.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                                Yep. Then it goes from being beef to pets.

not a problem. moms cold like that. ha ha

now my wife and kids are another story.

Comment

Working...
                                X