My second attempt at a foodplot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My second attempt at a foodplot.

Finally got my PH right with alot of lime!!
    Wheat and Oats with some clover plus mixed in.
    Never saw any deer eating it in the daytime though my basket stayed full they munched it down at night.

Looks good, if you need to plant another one, I've got a place for you to do it.

Comment

great job!!! I did my first by throw and grow but it didn't take off. I guess I should research it a little more. Looks awesome!

Comment

looks good, why no deer in day? long distance bedding area?

Comment

Thanks, we only used a heavy rake (made w/RR spikes)and a 4 wheeler, added alot of bags of lime(very messy,never on a windy day!)(PH was 5.6)threw out the bigger seeds then tied on a piece of plywood and drug it around to cover them, then just threw the smaller clover seeds on top and left alone.
          In the ground on Sept 10th-15th rained the following week for 2 days, Perfect timing!!
          Smokey, 200 yrds to the heavy cover,hopefully is the reason.
          Last edited by whitetailfanatic; 02-24-2010, 04:57 PM.

Comment

you have a food plot,corn feeder and protein feeder and you never saw deer in daylight?

Comment

Yes, I never saw any deer eating out of the plot in the daytime

Comment

Build you a small resource cage about 2' in diameter with a top out of 2x2 wire and stake it in the plot. You will be amazed how much it grows compared to what they are eating.

Comment

Aggie, I have one, just past the tube feeder by the 2x4 (r) on the fence that's how I know they're coming in at night and scarfing it down my basket is still taller than what's left of my little plot.

Comment

Try to locate where they are comming from! We got same problem deer at night, none in day. We are investing in bedding and food plots this year, hope it helps hold deer. Food, Water and Shelter you need all three to hold deer. Plot looks great! Bigger the plot is, the more deer it will feed. Look into a spring plot, I know it can get expensive!

Comment

True, seems every year this hunt'n stuff costs more and more, I'm about to price myself out of the game if I don't watch myself.

Comment

I heard that, big money!

Comment

What it looks like now as of last weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by whitetailfanatic View Post
                            What it looks like now as of last weekend.

Are they just keeping it mowed down? Why did you do such a small plot? Most of what I've read recommend no less than a 1/4 acre..

Comment

nicely done.

Comment

Working...
                              X