Hows Rosharon/Brazoria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hows Rosharon/Brazoria

We haven't found a lease so it looks like its time for plan B, hunting on my friend's newly acquired 250 ac tract in Rosharon. Its has thick cover and they've seen deer and hogs there but they've never hunted it. We'll set up a couple of feeders in feed pens and see how it goes.

I've never hunted east of the Hill Country so I don't know what to expect. How are the deer in that area?

Lots of hogs. Good deer there, except they rut before the season starts

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
      Lots of hogs. Good deer there, except they rut before the season starts
      Do bucks come to the feeders well?

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
        My understanding from my friend is that they don't, but I don't have first hand knowledge

Comment

Nope.

Comment

Definitely need good feed pins to keep the hogs from destroying your feeder. I've been most successful with bucks hunting trails somewhat close to feeders. They'll come eat now and again, but not like the clock work does. Find trails and rub lines to have a chance at the big boys!

Comment

Lots and lots of hogs. Decent deer, don't really come to feeders but if you can plant food plots they'll show up. Rut is just about over before bow season starts.

Comment

Have seen many deer in the area.. Most nice size, but the hogs can be a fight.

Comment

Deer are similar to the hill country, but a little bigger bodied. Good population - some places down there are overpopulated badly, actually. Varies drastically by where you are. As mentioned, lots of hogs. Like everywhere.

Comment

Yes but it takes a few years of year around feeding to get them into a routine.. I've been watching 8 different bucks for a couple of years now. They come almost daily.. I use a free choice feeder mixed 50/50 with corn and alfalfa.. They tear it up.. I also spin corn. I'm Letting them grow.

The main problem is hogs... If you have hogs hitting your feeder constantly the deer will very rarely if ever come.. They can't establish a routine and deer are creatures of habit..
                    . Since the floods and a lot of hunting with thermals around my area the big population is all but done.. I haven't had a pic of a pig in months... Deer pics everyday..

Be prepared to hunt in Mesquitos.. It can suck..

It's like anywhere.. Bucks have to mature to get the bigger antlers.. Down here they peak in antler growth at 6-7. Very few bucks live that long here but some do.. Since AR's 140"-150" bucks are not rare and 160"-170" have been killed in the last few years. Mostly on bigger ranches but not always..
                    Last edited by PondPopper; 03-22-2018, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Hunted out that way for 5 seasons when I lived down that way.

As stated, tons of hogs, but definitely decent deer numbers out there. Populations can fluctuate quite a bit between certain areas. There are decent bucks to be had, but they are elusive.

Typical feeder will bring in plenty of hogs and mostly does and young bucks. Rarely do trophy size bucks (at least for the area) ever frequent a feeder location; at least consistent enough to pattern well. Not unusual at all to get a nice buck on camera one time to never be seen again.

The rut is very early...literally starts mid-Sept and is over by the time bow season draws to a close. Bow hunting is a must if you want a shot at a decent buck. Also, many of the areas have tons of oak trees and if the acorn crop is decent, even the hogs will stop visiting a feeder.

Thermo-cell is a must as mosquitoes can be brutal.

Antler restrictions and no does after Thanksgiving unless MLD.

As you can see, not really the most ideal area to hunt unless it's close and/or convenient.

Between myself and one other individual on 200 acres, we shot a shooter buck maybe every other year. Didn't have a problem each tagging a doe and maybe a spike. Wasn't too hard to manage that especially if you pulled the boom stick the first week of rifle season.
                      Last edited by CaptainDave; 03-22-2018, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
                        As you can see, not really the most ideal area to hunt unless it's close and/or convenient.
                        That's it for us. It's close and the price is right. I think its be hard to beat as a fall back plan that lets us hunt without having found a lease. And who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and see some good deer. Looking at Google Earth, it is one of the most heavily wooded tracts in the area and its surrounded by a lot of pasture land so maybe it'll hold the deer.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                          Yes but it takes a few years of year around feeding to get them into a routine.. I've been watching 8 different bucks for a couple of years now. They come almost daily.. I use a free choice feeder mixed 50/50 with corn and alfalfa.. They tear it up.. I also spin corn. I'm Letting them grow.

The main problem is hogs... If you have hogs hitting your feeder constantly the deer will very rarely if ever come.. They can't establish a routine and deer are creatures of habit..
                          . Since the floods and a lot of hunting with thermals around my area the big population is all but done.. I haven't had a pic of a pig in months... Deer pics everyday..

Be prepared to hunt in Mesquitos.. It can suck..

It's like anywhere.. Bucks have to mature to get the bigger antlers.. Down here they peak in antler growth at 6-7. Very few bucks live that long here but some do.. Since AR's 140"-150" bucks are not rare and 160"-170" have been killed in the last few years. Mostly on bigger ranches but not always..
                          Have a buddy whos family has thousands of acres in Bcounty and they shot and seen some of the biggest deer this year. I think its due to all the flooding pushed them out of the bottoms.

Comment

It will definitely hold deer. There are many deer in the area. It is not to far from the brazos river which produces several nice deer a year. As stated early season will be a mosquito fest but if the price is right and it gets you in the outvfoors jump on it. I would say a good deer for the area may hit 130s but I’ve seen several 120 on the side f the road around the Prison to Arcola on 521

Comment

Originally posted by Dustinb09 View Post
                              Have a buddy whos family has thousands of acres in Bcounty and they shot and seen some of the biggest deer this year. I think its due to all the flooding pushed them out of the bottoms.
                              According to what I've witnessed in the last 8-10 years our rut actually begins in late August . That is when the first doe come in.
                              That August flood hit at a critical time. It pushed bucks into unknown territory with already established doe populations and the bucks never left to go back where they came from.. They locked down on these doe herds.
                              I know of 3 bucks that were shot in the 160's this year and where 2 of those were shot there is no doubt that the flood put them there.(small place Less than 100 acres) There was also 2 monsters(50's) ran over in areas they should not have been..

My brother shot really good, old mature, high 40's, maybe low 50's(I haven't put a tape on him), 10pt in late December running doe.. Ill post a pic when I get him mounted..
                              The fact that our rut occurs so early means that fawns are born early.. These early born doe fawns are old enough to come into heat in late December.. I've seen it for years now.. Bucks chasing fawn doe after Christmas.. Its a good time to be in the woods here on the coast..
                              Last edited by PondPopper; 03-22-2018, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X