Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crab Traps

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
    Thanks. What’s a good set it and forget it trap to add to the Arsenal? Looks like prices are all over the board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get on Craigslist and search for crab traps, used to be a guy that made a better trap then Store bought and I think cheaper in the friendswood area

This dude:

Comment

Sam's Club rotisserie chickens make good crab trap bait + a snack

Comment

If you can find someone that makes them locally do you usually get a better trap at a good price that will last year's ours is probably 10 years old and lives in the Saltair when it's not in the water we never rinse it off and it still good to go. We bought Ours from a guy down on the coast that drives around on Saturdays with a bunch of them in the back of a truck selling them they're much heavier than what you get at Academy

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
          Get on Craigslist and search for crab traps, used to be a guy that made a better trap then Store bought and I think cheaper in the friendswood area

This dude:

This guy builds my traps, his name is Glenn Koks, he's a good friend of mine, tell him to build you a trap just like the ones I use commercially,tell him Leemo from Matagorda sent you , when you get the trap , I'll send you a video on how to set the "eyes" and parlor doors

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
            This guy builds my traps, his name is Glenn Koks, he's a good friend of mine, tell him to build you a trap just like the ones I use commercially,tell him Leemo from Matagorda sent you , when you get the trap , I'll send you a video on how to set the "eyes" and parlor doors

Yep I’ve bought a couple off Glenn from TKF or 2cool and like what he builds. If you don’t mind send me that video, the nephew is getting big enough to appreciate crabbing this year I think.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
              I have the square one I got it at Academy but I think Bucees is the same type. They work good.. Love me some fresh crab.
              thats some big crabs!!

Comment

I couldn't meet up with Glenn, so I bought one at Basspro until I could get a couple from him. Baited it and set it out overnight. I was ready to teach my Niece about god providing food for us and to enjoy some crab. All I got to teach is that there are thieves in this world. Some jerk thought they needed my trap more than me. $50 down the drain. I hate a thief.

Comment

Bs

That chaps my hide. Hate them

Comment

Hey Bob
                    Check the regulations on tagging your crab traps. Can't remember for sure what all information has to be on them. No need to get a ticket while having fun.

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
                      Hey Bob
                      Check the regulations on tagging your crab traps. Can't remember for sure what all information has to be on them. No need to get a ticket while having fun.
                      I was legal. Gear tag with all my info- name, address, date.

Comment

Several points.
                        1. I live in Louisiana (could be different in Texas), and over here if you use a commercial crab trap, you must have an additional permit...it's only $10 for up to 25 traps.
                        2. There are new regulations on crab traps on the amount and size of escape holes (again in LA).
                        3. You might need to have each trap tagged with your info.
                        4. If you crabbing in the surf: some guys use a stake to hold the trap in place. High waves will roll the trap up onto the beach.
                        5. I would find a commercial fishing outfitter to purchase your traps. They will be able to help you stay legal, and you will get a better price and quality.
                        6. Buy square traps, and most crabbers swear that the red coated traps catch more.
                        7. Bait: Crabbers use Poggy, they really stink. Most fishermen just use the fish discards after clean their bounty.
                        8. Also in LA. Last year there was a 2 month time frame when the commercial crabbers couldn't fish. It didn't apply to recreational fishermen, but if you are using traps, it might.
                        9. Using traps may also have rules on size and the females.
                        10. In LA and on the shoreline, last year July was the best time to catch the crabs. Seems like the move around, but we had about 30 great days.

Comment

Where did you leave it in surfside that it got stolen from?

Comment

That is pretty sorry for someone to steal your trap. Some people need a good ole fashion butt whooping.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                              Where did you leave it in surfside that it got stolen from?

End of the crabbing pier. Was across from our RV park

Comment

Working...
                              X