Year Round vs 1/1-10/1 Protein Feeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Year Round vs 1/1-10/1 Protein Feeding

I struggle with this every year. For many years we fed year round and struggled most years to kill deer because we don't hunt over our free choice protein. Then we switched, and for the last 5-6 years have stopped feeding October 1st and don't start feeding again until we are done with our harvest for the year. That means we usually end up putting protein out between Christmas and the middle of January.

I am curious if anyone has made this change to year round and seen a measureable impact on the herd, specifically buck post recovery and mortality.

I have been feeding protein free choice since 1990 on ranches I managed or own. It makes a lot of difference in the over-all deer herd quality IME. Never really had a problem killing deer when feeding year round except for getting doe numbers off when we were killing a lot. There are feeder systems out there today that will allow you to feed free choice at your hunting blinds that will open at daylight(or when you want) and close when you want them to. I know of a ranch that has used them now for going on 3 yrs with great success. They have their normal free choice location which they do not hunt over but only fill from end of Jan till Sept. Then switch to the feeders to allow deer to eat protein at the hunting locations. The mixed corn and protein together but now have a pellet made that has more corn in it. The biggest impact you will see is in fawn body sizes when they have access to protein from the start and never go without it. Those fawns then become much better mature bucks. In the Hill Country the heaviest consumption was the 30 days post rut (even with year round feed) and then in August when fawns were starting to eat and bucks were finishing out antler growth. It helps on post rut mortality a lot just hard to gauge it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
      I have been feeding protein free choice since 1990 on ranches I managed or own. It makes a lot of difference in the over-all deer herd quality IME. Never really had a problem killing deer when feeding year round except for getting doe numbers off when we were killing a lot. There are feeder systems out there today that will allow you to feed free choice at your hunting blinds that will open at daylight(or when you want) and close when you want them to. I know of a ranch that has used them now for going on 3 yrs with great success. They have their normal free choice location which they do not hunt over but only fill from end of Jan till Sept. Then switch to the feeders to allow deer to eat protein at the hunting locations. The mixed corn and protein together but now have a pellet made that has more corn in it. The biggest impact you will see is in fawn body sizes when they have access to protein from the start and never go without it. Those fawns then become much better mature bucks. In the Hill Country the heaviest consumption was the 30 days post rut (even with year round feed) and then in August when fawns were starting to eat and bucks were finishing out antler growth. It helps on post rut mortality a lot just hard to gauge it for me.
      Thanks for the input! Ive decided that I will be filling feeders as soon as we are done with our harvest. I have two MLD buck and three doe tags left. Should have protein out by the 28th.

One thing that will help me is that we have moved blinds around the last few years and now 4 of 5 protein feeders are within eyesight(150-400 yards) of our blinds. That will help us getting on deer traveling to and from the protein.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
        Do you know who makes feeders like this?

Comment

We feed year round protein so they always have it when they need it. They just started eating a lot more of it around Dec 1st. Our stands are usually within 100 yards of the feeders and we only bow hunt. Hand corn will put the deer where ever you want them

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tx625 View Post
            All Seasons, Lamco or just do a search on TBH.

Comment

Yes and not Lamco or All Season. Those style only have feed when it throws protein then when they eat it all, it is empty. This style opens the feed trough at your set time and then closes it at your set time. Free choice feed during the time it is open. They have a weather sensor that will close the trough when it starts to rain then re-open when it senses it is not raining.
              Last edited by texashunter56; 01-10-2018, 08:59 PM.

Comment

I can adjust my All Seasons to dump enough protein to keep hopper full for a day if I choose, the hoppers are internal and trickle protein down to the trays. Feeding trays are covered to keep rain out as well.
                Last edited by Radar; 12-20-2017, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Check out Krivoman as well as the hammer timed protein feeders. I have one and it works awesome.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Comment

No. Same as you

Comment

I'm a big fan of the timed free choice feeders. We feed longer hours from January thru September and throttle back to shorter times during season. I will never again shut off protein during season.

Comment

Working...
                      X