Blades & Vanes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blades & Vanes

When I started bowhunting several years back I was shooting 3 blade thunderhead 80gr. They came with a small rubber washer that allows you to tighten the BH and align the blades with the vanes.

I have switched to Muzzy 100gr 3 blade, but I don't see any rubber washers. Some line up and some don't. Do I need to buy some to line up my vanes and blades?

I guess this would be more important if I were shooting through mesh windows. I see the 4 blade BHs offered, so I guess it may not be as important as I thought.

All comments welcomed and appreciated, Thanks guys!

With technology moving forward as it has, the need to align blades to vanes is somewhat a thing of the past. It is also increasingly difficult with carbon arrows, rather than aluminum ones. The increase of availability of 4 blade BHs IMO is because they tend to shoot better out of parallel limb bows, and at faster speeds. I always suggest you find a BH you would want to shoot, based on what ever reason you choose. The try it, and shoot/tune/shoot you bow until you either decide it will not work, or it is going to be the best ever.

Comment

A lot of things are still in the “ it depends” category. It is still wise to line up three blade fixed blades with your vanes. As always it is best to have single blades installed like “I’ when the arrow is nocked and four blade heads installed as “X” when nocked. This is for shaft oscillation more so than plaining.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Not needed. With a hunting arrow the vanes have off set or helical, so you cant align them with the vane since the front and the back of the vane are in different locations (degrees).

With aluminum arrows the heating and spinning of the insert actually helped to center the insert making the arrow spin truer resulting in better arrow flight, scientificaly blade alignment made no difference.

Comment

Some people shoot 3 blade some four on bhs. Some shoot 3 vanes some 4, it has been proven that it makes no difference in orientation. Some of the older heads will not shoot very well with the faster bows, you have seen the shorter bhs on the market, they work very well.

Comment

Never has been needed. Make sure the spine is right and that the BH's spin with absolutely ZERO wobble, and make sure your bow is tuned and you should be good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                Never has been needed. Make sure the spine is right and that the BH's spin with absolutely ZERO wobble, and make sure your bow is tuned and you should be good to go.
                X2 What Mudslinger said. Get every thing set up right and they should fly ok.

Comment

Urban legend.

Comment

Working...
                  X