Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just because it simpler . . .

Doesn't mean it's easier.

I've been struggling for three weeks. It has gotten progressively worse. Accuracy is sporadic at best and arrow flight becoMing obviously bad. I took the last few days off and thought maybe some rest and reflection would help.

The thread about string material made me think and I realized it has been two months since I checked my brace height. Well apparently this string still had some stretching in it. 5/16ths of an inch.

It's humbling how much there is to learn, know and focus on in an archery discipline that has such simple tools to work with. A stick and string . . .

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Before I even read your entire post, I was going to tell you to check your brace height.
    I see a lot of guys struggling to learn to shoot a recurve that is so poorly tuned that I can't shoot it myself

Comment

I was blaming me on inconsistent SO, release, poor form and just plain I suck. Turns out I'm just not as smart as the stick with the string.

Comment

I was tempted to take that Widow camping last weekend with my scouts. Kindling or a poker. Wasn't sure which way to go.

Comment

Seems like those strings stretch forever lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

I guess. Learning curve is long for some of us.

Comment

Don't feel too bad. I've seen guys that have been shooting for years suffer the exact same thing.

Bisch

Comment

Actually I feel better. Just humbled a little. I was cruising along pretty good, gaining confidence, extending my range and then it took a turn. Thought I had gotten over confident. Thought I had let winning a weekly challenge or two get in my head. Thought maybe it was fatigue from long days.

Maybe a combination of all that and the bow needed adjusting but it sure felt good seeing the arrows fly like darts and hit where I expected them to.

Comment

I haven't had to adjust mine in a while but I check it every couple days. The good thing is, you know what to look for now. Or at least one more thing to check at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

From now on Wednesday is string check day.

Comment

I've actually been hit with the diminishing brace height before several years ago. Although my shooting was okay, I could actually FEEL IT in the bow itself. Once I realized the brace was off just a touch, a couple twists of the string and all was back to normal. Nearly every time I shoot now, the first thing I do is check my brace height with my hand. Although its not 100% precise, it gives me a pretty close marker as to where my height is.

I know all bowyers will recommend this brace or that brace for their particular bows, but I really believe every bow has its own little "sweet spot" and once the brace drops out of it, the performance/feel goes away.

Comment

I'm afraid many of us have fallen victim to string creep, and a series of other simple solution problems. It is a simpler tool, which takes great time and patience to learn. Glad you got it figured out, and did the shooting improve once the Brace Height was corrected?

Comment

9 inches on my Widow.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                            9 inches on my Widow.

That's about where mine likes it....

Comment

Yes. And as medicineman pointed out so did the feel. I knew better just a stupid oversight.

Comment

Working...
                              X