No announcement yet.

DIY bbq pit build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange thing, but I had a door spring out on me after it was cut. I cut and welded it just like the other two. Now I'm gonna have to put some serious heat on it I guess so I can get it to seal. I think using a rosebud tip on my torch may work. What do yall think?

Comment

Pic.

Comment

Pic

Comment

That's going to cook a lot of briskets

Comment

Can you send me the info on the place in garland please

Comment

Originally posted by Yardero View Post
              Can you send me the info on the place in garland please
              Sorry I'm just getting to respond. The guys name is jake 2143569202

Comment

This is what I have done in the past. Its a slow process, but works.

3 pieces of 5/8" allthread. tack nuts on the inside, hinge side of the door. One on each end, and one in the middle. Do the same thing on the handle side. (You have to have the nut on the allthread when you tack to keep it inline.) What I did was double nutted the hinge side, and then put an extra nut on the handle side to that I could put a wrench on it. Now you are ready for the heat! I welded hot beads on inside of the door, at each allthread, and then tightended the nuts down some. then you let it cool. Speed the cooling/contracting process with a wet wrag. I let it cool to the touch, then take the alltread off, and see how it closes. You may have to do this several times, and it may take a few days... Don't get in too big a hurry either, as you may over extend the door, and buckle it in the middle. Ive don't that too. LOL

At what point did you warp the door......during cut out, or while strapping? I have a process I go thru now ,and I am able to keep them pretty true. I have always had my problems when I strapped them.

I hope that made sense.....
                Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                  This is what I have done in the past. Its a slow process, but works.

3 pieces of 5/8" allthread. tack nuts on the inside, hinge side of the door. One on each end, and one in the middle. Do the same thing on the handle side. (You have to have the nut on the allthread when you tack to keep it inline.) What I did was double nutted the hinge side, and then put an extra nut on the handle side to that I could put a wrench on it. Now you are ready for the heat! I welded hot beads on inside of the door, at each allthread, and then tightended the nuts down some. then you let it cool. Speed the cooling/contracting process with a wet wrag. I let it cool to the touch, then take the alltread off, and see how it closes. You may have to do this several times, and it may take a few days... Don't get in too big a hurry either, as you may over extend the door, and buckle it in the middle. Ive don't that too. LOL

At what point did you warp the door......during cut out, or while strapping? I have a process I go thru now ,and I am able to keep them pretty true. I have always had my problems when I strapped them.

I hope that made sense.....
                  Phillip
                  Phillip, that's makes lots of sense and thanks for the tip. It warped just after I cut it out. I welded tabs to keep it in place when I made the finishing corner cuts. It also got worse when I strapped it. Seems like it musy have been a weaker portion of the tank. The other two stayed in pretty good shape.

Comment

UGGH is it ready yet?

Comment

Looks like a fun project.

Comment

Hello

Comment

looks good

Comment

I'm freaking starving over here

Comment

That's going to be nice

Comment

Originally posted by BIGTERRY75 View Post
                                I'm freaking starving over here
                                Haa, yea me to. I'm trying to get back to work on it. I'm staying home thanksgiving weekend so if the weather permits I will get some work done.

Comment

Working...
                                X