Outriggers / Pontoons for a kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outriggers / Pontoons for a kayak

Ok, so here is the plan. I would like to be able to stand and fish on my current kayak. It's a 13' Perception Triumph. Not really made for fishing. So I am looking to build something similar to the Stand and Fish system that cost more then my kayaks together.

I have an old EX Up canopy that had been left at a lake do to some bad luck with the wind. I have taken 2 legs apart and used the main legfor the part that will attach to the kayak and the inserts for the outrigger.

Here are my questions.

1. If I cut the legs to make a bend can they be welded back together?

2. What would be the best way to attach the brace to the kayak without drilling any more holes? I have thought about using th padeyes and a turnbuckle but not sure if they would be strong enough.

Search YouTube. Bunch of good videos.

Comment

Pics

Here's what I have so far. What would you use for pontoons?
      Attached Files

Comment

Only let me upload 1 pic at a time
        Attached Files

Comment

Bending and welding would not be worth it that metal is to thin possible yes worth it no. IMO

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

You can get some boat bumpers at Academy that make great floats. They are about 24" long, blue and float great.

Comment

Nice project.

Castlecraft makes them ready to bolt on.

Might give you some ideas for your project at the least.

Also, they make a Sportspal canoe that has sponsons bolted to the side, that basically do the same thing.
              And they sell replacement sponsons which would be a clean look on the side of a kayak, easy to fish with, etc.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Put the pontoons on hold to get my motor installed. Built a bracket on my milk crate to mount the head unit for my trolling motor. It still has all 5 forward speeds and 3 reverse settings. I used a trailer light plug to connect the head unit to the actual motor. Worked pretty good. I'm going to have to fix my steering cables. I pushed too far on the left and got the motor in a bind. When I pushed on the right foot pedal it broke he connection.
                Attached Files

Comment

More pics

Milk crate
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by benwhite34; 06-17-2017, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Pic of trolling motor and mount

Motor
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by benwhite34; 06-17-2017, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Have you had it on the water yet? I've been toying with ideas.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Turn the volume down so you don't have to hear my kids screaming

Comment

Neat idea, don't forget that if the vessel is motorized then it has to be registered through TPWD. If not then ole green pants could give you a ticket if they wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                            Neat idea, don't forget that if the vessel is motorized then it has to be registered through TPWD. If not then ole green pants could give you a ticket if they wanted to.
                            Already registered it. Stickers are kinda hard to see though.

Comment

Back to the pontoons, use builders sheet foam, it can be cut easily and glued with Titebond II glue. Shaping is a piece of cake, sealing it can be cheap using the poor man's fiberglass method, or a little more using fiberglass.

For explanation of poor mans fiberglass read this link. http://www.instructables.com/id/Poor...hing-weatherp/

For connecting it, I would use conduit, if you have a bender great, if not they are cheap, or you can build a simple one, Just have to watch a little of YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                              X